Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:57 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Agree or disagree:

So what do you think? Anyone have personal experiences to share?
Depends on what the woman is looking for. If she is seeking sexual encounters than she will find no problem finding a suitor. However, if she is seeking monogamous long term relationship then she will definitely run into some issues. Especially if she has children.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I'm 46, and NEVER noticed anything like that at all. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised that guys in their 20s/30s were asking me out quite a bit. Seemed like the dating pool got larger. Now, from the standpoint of a marriage pool, I think it was smaller, but I'm very particular when it comes to a serious relationship for long term. Still, got married a couple months ago.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've noticed my older female friends getting far more attention as they enter their 30s than they did in their 20s. In your 20s, you tend to attract boys that just want to get laid, as you enter your 30s I believe men start maturing and looking for someone who they can actually get along with instead of someone who is simply nice to look at.

This is bad for women who focused on their looks only and never became well rounded individuals, but great for the women who perhaps focused more on living, learning and things other than the way they look.
Yea that's a good point. When i was in college, all i wanted was a girl who was "hot". These days, i still want a woman i'm attracted to, but she doesn't have to be the Hottest Girl Ever. I'd much rather have an average-looking woman with common interests and a sense of humor than have a model-type with no personality. That being said, i'd never want someone who i found flat-out unattractive.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
It sounds about right. Assuming that 18 is the minimum age, I'd say females have the advantage from 18-30, while 30-33 is kind of neutral and males have the advantage from 33 onwards. As such, 32 as a point of inflection is (more or less) accurate, IMO.
Yea... that seems to be my observation. I don't think it's an earth-shattering shift, to the point where a 40 year old guy can be bald, overweight and unemployed, and he's going to get a gorgeous 40 year old woman. That's still unrealistic. But if older men have reasonable expectations, they generally are able to find what they want without too much trouble.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
Quote:
Agree or disagree:

Women have a huge advantage in dating in their teens and 20s. A man needs to have good looks and tight game to even have a shot at a woman this age, as these are the prime fertility years of attractiveness for women. Even with good looks and game, a guy will still likely endure a number of rejections for every woman he is successful with in his teens and 20s.

The pendulum eventually switches, and men enjoy a modest advantage in dating later in life. The equilibrium point occurs roughly at age 32.

This theory assumes that one is pursuing dating partners of approximately the same age AND assumes that one is not going after partners out of their league on a looks scale.

I've been reading some articles that suggest a pendulum switch around age 32 or so. I'm not sure i agree or disagree with the premise. It would be exciting if it's true, as i'm 31 years old right now. But it could just be wishful thinking on the part of us men who struggled to get women throughout our younger years.

From my personal observations, there does seem to be some validity to this theory. Older single men that i know don't seem to have any problems attracting single women their own age. My single friends who are older than me, the primary reason they have trouble is because they too often go for women 10 years younger. If they would stick to women their own age, they would do just fine.

Well, maybe you are right. My ex and I married at 33 and 34 and neither of us had ever been married before.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Yes now the pendulum swings a little lower.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm 46, and NEVER noticed anything like that at all. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised that guys in their 20s/30s were asking me out quite a bit. Seemed like the dating pool got larger. Now, from the standpoint of a marriage pool, I think it was smaller, but I'm very particular when it comes to a serious relationship for long term. Still, got married a couple months ago.
Wow, congrats!!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:41 AM

45 posts, read 83,921 times
In my experience (I'm 35+) the older I'm getting the more male attention I have been getting. Especially in comparision to my awkward 20's. I'm super comfortable in my skin and confident more than ever. Not only that but the age range has seemed to increase once I hit my mid-30's. I get guys from high school - 60+ hitting on me. lol

True I do take care of myself (don't smoke, rarely drink, workout regularly, eat pretty clean) but I think it's more about feeling comfortable with myself, plus I embrace getting older. Who knows.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,386 times
Quote:
Agree or disagree:

Women have a huge advantage in dating in their teens and 20s. A man needs to have good looks and tight game to even have a shot at a woman this age, as these are the prime fertility years of attractiveness for women. Even with good looks and game, a guy will still likely endure a number of rejections for every woman he is successful with in his teens and 20s.

The pendulum eventually switches, and men enjoy a modest advantage in dating later in life. The equilibrium point occurs roughly at age 32.

This theory assumes that one is pursuing dating partners of approximately the same age AND assumes that one is not going after partners out of their league on a looks scale.

I've been reading some articles that suggest a pendulum switch around age 32 or so. I'm not sure i agree or disagree with the premise. It would be exciting if it's true, as i'm 31 years old right now. But it could just be wishful thinking on the part of us men who struggled to get women throughout our younger years.

From my personal observations, there does seem to be some validity to this theory. Older single men that i know don't seem to have any problems attracting single women their own age. My single friends who are older than me, the primary reason they have trouble is because they too often go for women 10 years younger. If they would stick to women their own age, they would do just fine.

Funny you bought this up, I can serve as an example of said pendulum. I was the guy no woman would want to be seen dating because it could ruin her lolsocial status, back then when videogames and any form of technology was considered nerdy and unattractive. Average women thought they were 8-10s, even the overweight ones thought they were better than the average joe. Between my meddling family, seriously cruel rejections, and a very nasty ongoing war with acne that left scars well into my 20s I was pretty much undateable. Also working a blue collar job in a small town despite finishing college didn't help either.

Though the switch as you would say, started at around 29. I told myself that I've given up on women for the time being. Those couples that everyone thought would be together started to break apart, people getting divorced even after having their second or third child. Suddenly I've become a point of interest. Women don't look at me with disgust anymore (except for the young ones too stupid to know any better), some even tried asking me out (I know pretty wierd right?) A couple of these women I had feelings for a long time ago are now divorced, overweight with kids and assumed I'd be too nice to turn them down. Had a couple phone numbers for the first time in my life, but knew they were already in failing relationships.

I don't consider myself attractive, but I guess I fared better than the drinkers, smokers, partiers and those cursed by family genetics because some guys look much older/uglier than me. Former jocks/preppies turned into flabby slobs because they don't exercise anymore. I've started to really appreciate myself as a person and ignore what others think of me. Women get furious with me when I tell them why I'm not married, but they've asked so they get their answer. Independence is just too good to give up now. I'm on the verge of what I hope to be a very successful business venture and I guess word got out somehow. Perhaps this is the sacrifice that some people had to make, between a career and a family, though I think that choice was already made for me a long time ago.

Don't get me wrong, I could date but at my age, the first night of intercourse (or hell the second date) seems to give some women the impression I owe them marriage and the lifestyle they didn't get from the other guys and it's a risk I have to be very careful with. Especially if I succumb to those with kids and get wind up trapped like some of my unlucky overconfident nerdy friends. I'd prefer to start my own family from scratch anyway despite how crazy people tell me I am but I don't care.

Someone said it best, living well is the best revenge and boy howdy is it bittersweet. Have fun with it but play it safe!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
Funny you bought this up, I can serve as an example of said pendulum. I was the guy no woman would want to be seen dating because it could ruin her lolsocial status, back then when videogames and any form of technology was considered nerdy and unattractive. Average women thought they were 8-10s, even the overweight ones thought they were better than the average joe. Between my meddling family, seriously cruel rejections, and a very nasty ongoing war with acne that left scars well into my 20s I was pretty much undateable. Also working a blue collar job in a small town despite finishing college didn't help either.

Though the switch as you would say, started at around 29. I told myself that I've given up on women for the time being. Those couples that everyone thought would be together started to break apart, people getting divorced even after having their second or third child. Suddenly I've become a point of interest. Women don't look at me with disgust anymore (except for the young ones too stupid to know any better), some even tried asking me out (I know pretty wierd right?) A couple of these women I had feelings for a long time ago are now divorced, overweight with kids and assumed I'd be too nice to turn them down. Had a couple phone numbers for the first time in my life, but knew they were already in failing relationships.

I don't consider myself attractive, but I guess I fared better than the drinkers, smokers, partiers and those cursed by family genetics because some guys look much older/uglier than me. Former jocks/preppies turned into flabby slobs because they don't exercise anymore. I've started to really appreciate myself as a person and ignore what others think of me. Women get furious with me when I tell them why I'm not married, but they've asked so they get their answer. Independence is just too good to give up now. I'm on the verge of what I hope to be a very successful business venture and I guess word got out somehow. Perhaps this is the sacrifice that some people had to make, between a career and a family, though I think that choice was already made for me a long time ago.

Don't get me wrong, I could date but at my age, the first night of intercourse (or hell the second date) seems to give some women the impression I owe them marriage and the lifestyle they didn't get from the other guys and it's a risk I have to be very careful with. Especially if I succumb to those with kids and get wind up trapped like some of my unlucky overconfident nerdy friends. I'd prefer to start my own family from scratch anyway despite how crazy people tell me I am but I don't care.

Someone said it best, living well is the best revenge and boy howdy is it bittersweet. Have fun with it but play it safe!
That's a great story my friend! Gives the rest of us hope. Congrats to your successes, enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships