Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 AM

204 posts, read 911,930 times

Advertisements

A lot of people have been on awful blind dates, but few will admit being the one to ruin it or have made a date less than pleasant. Whenever hear a bad first date story, it is always the other person who messed up.

I've been on some terrible first/blind dates, but I will admit to being pretty obnoxious on a couple of them.

1. Met a previously unknown friend of a friend for coffee at an outdoor cafe in the early evening. He was a was a stage manager at a local theater and so I started talking about art related topics (I was in art school at the time) and I was very nervous so I just kept talking. So it progressed from artists I liked, to my favorite episode of the Simpsons where Homer became an outsider artist, and finally to detailed descriptions of the work of Orlan the French plastic surgery artist. Things quickly ended after that. I later heard from our mutual friend how much of a wierdo the blind date thought I was.

2. I met a guy at a bar, exchanged numbers, and a week later went on a coffee, walking around downtown, and window shopping date. Things were going really well for an hour or so, but when we started window shopping at expensive stores things got a little heated. We clearly had different tastes, which is fine, but were clearly very specific: I like clean, simple, quality and he liked ornate, gaudy, super high end. I started expressing my opinion a little too emphatically and started talking about vapid materialism and how people value flashy brand names over good quality craftsmanship. He was silent during the rest of the date. I got a text the next day about how mean I was, how I belittling I was, and how I mde him feel like nothing. I gave him a really sincere apology and told him I really didn't mean to insult him; we never talked again. Luckily I've grown up a lot since then.

Have any of you been a bad first or blind date? What happened and how do you feel about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:31 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
I've only had one blind date a long time ago and it was bad. A mutual friend set us up and he was attractive but he had a terrible personality. Afterwards, we both gave our mutual friend the thumbs down about it. It was funny because she was more excited about "us" than we were.

For the record, blind dates are pretty much a thing of the past, with the prevalence of camera phones, email, Facebook, texting, etc.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,692 times
I consider every "online date" a blind date because the pictures are so misleading and/or old, and their personality is nothing like they say.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,377 times
The 2nd isn't really a blind date.

By definition, a blind date is someone you don't know or haven't met before.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I consider every "online date" a blind date because the pictures are so misleading and/or old, and their personality is nothing like they say.
lol!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Blind date, as in set-up date. Yes. Several. The worst was with a girl who was a graduate of one of the Catholic universities in the Bay Area who lived in an apartment near the Oakland Hills. The date was going fine, driving around Jack London Square in Oakland, Berkeley, and then over to Sausalito for lunch. We then crossed into SF on the GGB. Right around the time we got to the Civic Center/City Hall, she went nuts - talking like a child and saying "I want to go home now." I took her straight home. Someone who either has more patience or her affluent alcoholic daddy can pamper her. I wonder what went down in her childhood. She had that wholesome kind of beauty some Catholic school girls do, but when they're a head case, that positive attribute is canceled out.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 01-28-2013 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM

204 posts, read 911,930 times
I was more interested you, yourself had been a bad first date, not the other person. It is pretty common to have a bad first date, but I rarely hear anyone admit they were the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17;2hh7980114
The 2nd isn't really a blind date.

By definition, a blind date is someone you don't know or haven't met before.
I also mentioned first dates, really the first few dates, as you don't know anything about the person you're going out with. Any bad date stories in general where you were the bad date and not the other person.

Last edited by jgardener; 01-28-2013 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 01:03 PM

175 posts, read 315,396 times
Never did a "blind date", just would not do them. The worst date I ever had to be when a lady had me bounce her all over the city club hopping. She got a bit tipsy and admitted that she was using me to hunt down her ex, get him insult her and I would beat him up.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,368,313 times
No, I've never been on a blind date, but I do agree with another poster that online dating is pretty close to blind dating.

You really have no idea what people are going to look like by way of their picture, it could be old or even someone else!

You can get to know them by messaging or on the phone, however, which is a good thing.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:02 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,835,338 times
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships