Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times

Advertisements

I've often heard that pre-nup's can easily be tossed out in court. I wouldn't say that this couple spending over a million bucks for attorneys was an "easy" way to throw out the pre-nup, but this story shows that it sure can happen. Amazing that "hearsay" and supposed "verbal agreements" took precedence over a signed, legal document.

Wife of Millionaire Wins "Unprecedented" Case to Overturn Prenup Agreement | Love + Sex - Yahoo! Shine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:59 AM

896 posts, read 1,476,742 times
Well that was a heart warming story. Score one for the gold-diggers.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 AM

18 posts, read 35,038 times
There are two things that should be required by law to protect both men and women:

1. Prenup
2. Paternity test

Times are different now days.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
Well that was a heart warming story. Score one for the gold-diggers.
I wouldn't characterize her as a gold-digger. It seems the pre-nup was one sided. If she had gotten the verbal agreements in writing, there wouldn't have been any costly legal battle. Just goes to show that both parties need to have mutual pre-nups.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quite possibly the pre-nup was one-sided, her husband was a complete jerk, and she was maneuvered into signing a document that was predatory and unjust. Even so, it's a legal contract. A gun wasn't held to her head, forcing her to sign. She was of sound mind when signing it.

Contracts aren't necessarily fair or honorable. That doesn't mean that they should be thrown out.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:20 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
Pre-nups aren't iron-clad even when all precautions are taken. I think that they do serve a purpose since they force a couple to communicate (about finances at least) and come to a detailed, shared vision which can actually save a marriage in the long run. A pre-nup also doesn't have to "screw over" one partner or the other either. Perhaps this one did but I don't know. I haven't heard all the testimony.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
If someone thinks that a prenup is necessary, they might consider that marriage is not a good idea.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:19 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Quite possibly the pre-nup was one-sided, her husband was a complete jerk, and she was maneuvered into signing a document that was predatory and unjust. Even so, it's a legal contract. A gun wasn't held to her head, forcing her to sign. She was of sound mind when signing it.

Contracts aren't necessarily fair or honorable. That doesn't mean that they should be thrown out.
^^^
This!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:29 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
I really dont get why people even bother with marriage anymore. As much as I hear about how finances are often a reason leading to divorce, I can almost guarantee you that there is a strong correlation between say a man getting substantialy wealthier while married and divorce rates. Its a perfect opportunity to cash in. People living in this society are entirely too selfish, too egotistical, too self-centered and too materialistic for marriage to mean anything at all. Look at the recent threads on CDR alone. A wife wont give up a cat, even though it makes her husband sick due to allergies and foirces him to take daily medications. Married people cheat, lie and live double lives. Whats the point? WHy pretend that marriage means anything to you, if you dont give a damn about it and your actiuons prove it every day.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,983 times
Any contract of any kind can be contested in court. The marriage itself is nothing but a financial contract, when there is a divorce, it is a real money maker for the mediators, attorneys and the court system. Before the late 1800's all a couple needed was a preacher, then the government
stepped in....and as it is said..."The rest is history".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships