Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 06:00 PM

597 posts, read 1,148,403 times

Advertisements

Certain events have led me to believe that one of the major reasons for my rejection by the young lady I am interested in is due to my appearance. I do not consider myself hideous, however I know am nothing extraordinary in the looks department. Apparently, my appearance is not satisfactory by this girl’s standards.

My question for you today is this: Do you believe it is possible for someone to eventually come to accept another for a relationship regardless of an appearance issue. Could they ever possibly see beyond the outside appearance of a person, and come to know the qualities/traits which truly define their character?

I previously posted that I believed this type of judgment to be grossly unfair. After much debate with others on this forum, I have come to recognize that it is not possible to minimize the issue, because apparently appearance IS very important.

I am curious to see what you think.Please share your thoughts and opinions regarding this question

Thank you very much,
J

Old 04-26-2013, 06:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
No.

Not in your case with the girl we all know you are talking about.

Now, some people are able to overcome poor looks with personality. They usually are front men in rock bands.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 PM

788 posts, read 1,273,030 times
I tried once with a very nice guy who I wasn't attracted to and it failed miserably. He ended getting hurt far worse than I did. You need to be attracted to the person you're dating.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:17 PM

597 posts, read 1,148,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
No.

Not in your case with the girl we all know you are talking about.

Now, some people are able to overcome poor looks with personality. They usually are front men in rock bands.
So it is possible ?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:20 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,226,153 times
Sure it is possible. Depends though on age. People in their 20s tend to care too much about looks. Once you've been around the block a few times, you realize that looks get moved to the bottom of the list in comparison to the important things that really matter.

How old is she?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,656,904 times
Kid.

She isn't into you.

Your appearance might be part of it, but it's probably not.

She's just not into you and no matter how much you change your appearance it's not going to change anything.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:21 PM

12 posts, read 27,180 times
No, its not possible. That is just how our chemistry is. If you don't find someone attractive, you won't truly love them and might even be tempted to cheat on them. Like Katykat01 said, it will hurt both parties in the long run. It is best to have a mutual attraction.

Jay, you'll find someone who likes you eventually. It is not this girl that you like though, it is someone else that you will meet in the future. You have your whole life ahead of you. This isn't the 1950s anymore. People don't just marry this one person they knew in high school anymore. Most people meet their spouses in college or at work (or even some social function like church or charity events, I dunno). The majority of my peers are married college sweethearts, coworkers, or someone they met through a friend.

To be honest, no you are not attractive in the conventional Brad Pitt/model sense (average people like you and me hardly are) but you are not butt ugly either. Just have fun graduating and focus on your future (college, making good grades, internships, etc). Once you get settled, it will become easier for you to find a woman since women are attracted to stable guys with good careers. Besides, you are still growing. People's looks change dramatically from high school to their mid 20's. Please have fun with your life and don't focus on this girl. You only get to be young once.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,198,855 times
She just doesn't like you. It's never going to happen.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,122,669 times
O m g

Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,503,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
Certain events have led me to believe that one of the major reasons for my rejection by the young lady I am interested in is due to my appearance. I do not consider myself hideous, however I know am nothing extraordinary in the looks department. Apparently, my appearance is not satisfactory by this girl’s standards.

My question for you today is this: Do you believe it is possible for someone to eventually come to accept another for a relationship regardless of an appearance issue. Could they ever possibly see beyond the outside appearance of a person, and come to know the qualities/traits which truly define their character?

I previously posted that I believed this type of judgment to be grossly unfair. After much debate with others on this forum, I have come to recognize that it is not possible to minimize the issue, because apparently appearance IS very important.

I am curious to see what you think.Please share your thoughts and opinions regarding this question

Thank you very much,
J
Personally I wouldn't even want to be with someone that did not find me attractive in any way. There are too many people in this world to pursue someone that isn't even attracted to me in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships