Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 01:54 PM

149 posts, read 467,380 times

Advertisements

I was at this networking party. I didn't know many people there, I just spent most of the night people watching. I overheard this woman who wanted to make a move on a certain guy at the party. She mentioned that he "moved like old money". Ok, I know what old money is, but how do you move like old money? Is there some kind of unwritten code on what kind of body language that old money people use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 02:00 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
It has nothing to do with chronologically being old and has everything to do with how one presents themselves and body language in a public setting. If you google "moves like old money" you will find some information on that phrase.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:33 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbacchus View Post
I was at this networking party. I didn't know many people there, I just spent most of the night people watching. I overheard this woman who wanted to make a move on a certain guy at the party. She mentioned that he "moved like old money". Ok, I know what old money is, but how do you move like old money? Is there some kind of unwritten code on what kind of body language that old money people use?
I think the two watchwords would be "relaxed" and "confident" Because when you really think about it, what does "old money" have to be worried tense or nervous about? Nothing. And there really is something different about this type, their bearing and posture always seem to hint at their being set apart and different from the rest of us.

They may have burdens of their own in their lives, but they do not share the burdens of the overworked, the under-employed, the broke, the feeling of being a sellout when accepting a job you don't love, but because you need the money to survive.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
He moved as if he expected everyone else to make way for him. He had confidence. He stood up straight. He seemed slightly athletic but not muscle bound. He was probably very well groomed, as well.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
I think the two watchwords would be "relaxed" and "confident" Because when you really think about it, what does "old money" have to be worried tense or nervous about? Nothing. And there really is something different about this type, their bearing and posture always seem to hint at their being set apart and different from the rest of us.

They may have burdens of their own in their lives, but they do not share the burdens of the overworked, the under-employed, the broke, the feeling of being a sellout when accepting a job you don't love, but because you need the money to survive.

Do these people ever consider getting a job and becoming productive members of society?

Old 05-18-2013, 02:24 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
I think the two watchwords would be "relaxed" and "confident" Because when you really think about it, what does "old money" have to be worried tense or nervous about? Nothing.
Yep, that's it. Nouveau riche stereotypically come across as trying really hard to make sure everyone knows they're rich, which can make them look not that different from phoney wannabe-rich people on the surface. Old money people don't really care what you think of them. They know where they stand, because they've been there their whole lives.

It's sort of like the difference you see in a semi-finals matchup between a team with 12 championships and a team that is in the playoffs for the first time ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships