Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:34 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
If you like younger date younger, as long as they are of legal age of course. If people don't like it that is their problem not yours. I am dating someone in his 20's and if people don't like that I can care less.
This is very true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Trust me, I look young. People even think my sister, who is 5 years younger than me, is older than me. It gets a bit embarrassing. Since many 23 yo's are post college and pretty mature, it's a bit different to when i was 23 and looked 17. 22 yo's generally have a lot more life experience than 18-19 yo's.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Trust me, I look young. People even think my sister, who is 5 years younger than me, is older than me. It gets a bit embarrassing. Since many 23 yo's are post college and pretty mature, it's a bit different to when i was 23 and looked 17. 22 yo's generally have a lot more life experience than 18-19 yo's.
Well then there should be no problem here, right?

Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 AM

442 posts, read 800,551 times
Stop whining and date teenagers like a normal person.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:43 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Maybe it depends on what your looking for in a woman?

I always felt that the larger the gab in age, the less likely I would find someone who really was a good match overall. Doesn't mean it is impossible, but I felt my chances of dating successfully more frequently would increase the closer I was to my current age.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:43 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Sense? Where's the sense in that, OP? It makes sense to date those you find attractive, who also find you attractive. I don't think it makes sense to "try" to date younger than would otherwise want to. It also doesn't matter how you look or how old you are or look if there's attraction. Besides, age is only one consideration in dating, and usually not the most important if the age gap is "reasonable." That said, my girlfriend is almost half my age, but she chose me - I wonder if I look younger? It must make sense!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:46 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
A tremendous amount of people who are 30, 35-ish plus (I don't know how old you are but I thought I'd point this out as a general thing) do think we look younger than our ages. That's because when we were young, "older" was expressed in a much more definitive way than it is now. Our moms got mommy haircuts, our parents stopped wearing fun clothes. Because we don't necessarily feel confined to doing the same things, we see ourselves as "looking younger" than our ages.

I think that's what's behind the phenomenon of people thinking they look younger. We can't all possibly look younger than our ages, LOL.

Also, beware of the "you look younger than your age" thing...it's only said when the person does realize you're older. (Or maybe I'm just seeing the glass as half-empty?) I mean think about it. People don't tell young people they look young.

I get told all the time that I look "so young" and it bugs me...it always feels false to me and it also is always meant as a compliment which translates to, "...because looking younger is THE great thing, it's the goal!" Not for me! My goal is to be happy.

I'm not saying all this to make anybody sad, I'm just trying to point out that we should feel happy whether we "look younger" or not and that being above-20s is okay. It really is.
You make some very valid points. For myself I have always looked younger. It's not my opinion it is a fact..However, it never made me want to date younger. I date whoever grabs my heart at the time. When I was 19 going on twenty I probably looked fifteen, yet I dated a 24 year old. Which to me at that time seemed old. Funny how time has a way of putting perspective on what is really what.

When I was in my teens/ twenties, thirty seemed old. Now that I am that old/ older, twenty four seems very young. Plus age doesn't neccessary mean someone is more mature. I've dated women who you would have thought were mature but were anything but..Age in the end is just a number. It puts us in categories/ classess. For instance, when I talk to someone around my age, take Pikantari for example. We are around the same age, I automatically feel like I know her because of that. Because we've gone through the same era/ time periods. I could refference a band that there would be no doubt that she had heard of it, etc, etc.I could talk about many things to her without having to explain them to her. That's the beauty of that. Now, these young teens, very early twenty somethings, I don't feel like I have anything in common with..So, despite if someone is truly wise or more mature, I might not know that just from their age.. Some traits/ characteristics/ things don't always come with age, even thoough it's easy to categorize them that way. I knew a girl who was fifteen and very mature and would probably put most grown women to shame by the way she thinks and lives..

I know I got a little off topic, but I am trying to make a point. Young doesn't neccessarily mean naive/ stupid/ haven't lived a life. Many young people have had very hard lives, thus, they most likely are much more mature than someone who would be their exact same age. Same thing is true for the opposite. I know this women (my mothers friend) who is 52. She has a great job. She is vice president of a bank..Yet, in her personal life (meaning boyfriend/ gf) she has the mentality of a twelve year old..I know that from speaking to my mom in the past about this that it had threw her for a loop. She never expected her friend to be so immature. She set her up with my dads friend and they both acted like children the entire year of their relationship...

Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Sense? Where's the sense in that, OP? It makes sense to date those you find attractive, who also find you attractive. I don't think it makes sense to "try" to date younger than would otherwise want to. It also doesn't matter how you look or how old you are or look if there's attraction. Besides, age is only one consideration in dating, and usually not the most important if the age gap is "reasonable." That said, my girlfriend is almost half my age, but she chose me - I wonder if I look younger? It must make sense!
I also think younger women seem more attracted to me, or would be, and are probably more open-minded than older ones. Personality-wise I used to think I preferred someone older, but many people get too jaded and set in their ways. Many women might laugh at the idea of dating a late 20s guy with no experience. I feel more on the level of a 20 year old who hasn't had much experience.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I know I got a little off topic, but I am trying to make a point. Young doesn't neccessarily mean naive/ stupid/ haven't lived a life.
I have totally found that to be true. And emotional immaturity is certainly not something to LOOK for. I also think many people who haven't had much dating experience can be very mature people.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:05 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I have totally found that to be true. And emotional immaturity is certainly not something to LOOK for. I also think many people who haven't had much dating experience can be very mature people.

I agree with that too. I also will add that they have less baggage..They haven't been sh tted on yet, or dumped, beatin, treated nasty, etc..So, they have almost the "ideal" of what a relationship should be, simply because they haven't had all of these negative things happen to them to skew their opinion of men or women..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships