Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 08:37 PM

11 posts, read 9,019 times

Advertisements

Last year in September, I worked at a call center and we were playing a charity hockey game with some other company. It was suppose to just be a short charity thing, but the other team was way too competitive. At one point in the game, one of the other players layed a dirty hit on me and I had to be taken to the locker room since I had landed awkwardly on my head. I underwent concussion protocol. I thankfully wasn't concussed and I was allowed to go back to the game, but I wanted to get even with the guy who hit me.

He had apparently been called for a penalty when he hit me and my teammates told me to leave it alone since he had already served his penalty, but that wasn't good enough for me. The next time we shared the ice, I layed him out with a hit that was admittedly dirty, but I was just trying to get even. This lead to a giant scrum on the ice with all players. Our team and the other team were fighting, I was on top on the guy who hit me and I was punching every inch of him that I could touch, and the referee was trying to break us up.

I'm ashamed to admit that I lost my cool and threw down the referee and threw a few punches at him while he was down. I was just filled with adrenaline and rage and I needed to take out my anger. All of the other refs and some of my teammates had to pull me off and calm me down. The game was cancelled after the brawl and my boss fired me on the spot once I was off the ice. I was even involved with some controversy with the referee I jumped looking into pressing assault charges against me, but nothing came of it.

But the worst punishment for me was my girlfriend dumping me because of it. She said that the entire incident was all my fault and that I showed a side of me that she can't be with. She broke up with me and told me not to come to her until I've learned to control myself. Well, it's been nearly a year since that incident and I feel like I've put in the effort to change myself for the better. I'm optimistic about my ability to control my anger, so I'm thinking of contacting my ex. Should I go for it?

Old 08-17-2020, 08:48 PM

335 posts, read 187,443 times
I don't think I would want to revisit a relationship with something like that happening. She is right, what if you threw the punch at her? What have you done to change? I don't think that type of rage and anger just goes away. If I was in your girlfriends place I would be kind of glad I found out early. Rage and anger that are kept inside have a way of coming out and can worsen.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:53 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowPuck View Post
Last year in September, I worked at a call center and we were playing a charity hockey game with some other company. It was suppose to just be a short charity thing, but the other team was way too competitive. At one point in the game, one of the other players layed a dirty hit on me and I had to be taken to the locker room since I had landed awkwardly on my head. I underwent concussion protocol. I thankfully wasn't concussed and I was allowed to go back to the game, but I wanted to get even with the guy who hit me.

He had apparently been called for a penalty when he hit me and my teammates told me to leave it alone since he had already served his penalty, but that wasn't good enough for me. The next time we shared the ice, I layed him out with a hit that was admittedly dirty, but I was just trying to get even. This lead to a giant scrum on the ice with all players. Our team and the other team were fighting, I was on top on the guy who hit me and I was punching every inch of him that I could touch, and the referee was trying to break us up.

I'm ashamed to admit that I lost my cool and threw down the referee and threw a few punches at him while he was down. I was just filled with adrenaline and rage and I needed to take out my anger. All of the other refs and some of my teammates had to pull me off and calm me down. The game was cancelled after the brawl and my boss fired me on the spot once I was off the ice. I was even involved with some controversy with the referee I jumped looking into pressing assault charges against me, but nothing came of it.

But the worst punishment for me was my girlfriend dumping me because of it. She said that the entire incident was all my fault and that I showed a side of me that she can't be with. She broke up with me and told me not to come to her until I've learned to control myself. Well, it's been nearly a year since that incident and I feel like I've put in the effort to change myself for the better. I'm optimistic about my ability to control my anger, so I'm thinking of contacting my ex. Should I go for it?
I've been cheapshotted in football but, I think you went way overboard by punching the guy repeatedly then going after the refs. You could have been arrested. When somebody hit me the wrong way, I just waited til the right time to give them a really hard shot, ranging from decleaters, to slamming/ rushing them to the ground really hard, to sending them flying 5 yards back or sideways. That pretty much stopped them from wanting anymore and prevented a fight. If you can't play within the rules then I don't see why your ex would take you back.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:04 PM

11 posts, read 9,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose998 View Post
I don't think I would want to revisit a relationship with something like that happening. She is right, what if you threw the punch at her? What have you done to change? I don't think that type of rage and anger just goes away. If I was in your girlfriends place I would be kind of glad I found out early. Rage and anger that are kept inside have a way of coming out and can worsen.
I bought a stress ball and I squeeze like hell whenever I'm feeling angry.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:35 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,812,537 times
Quote:
Given the event you described, I don't think a stress ball will solve the problem. You may need anger management.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Maybe anger management would help. Dude I get hockey is full of guys who are tough and all that. You were wrong. You were told not to do anything yet you chose to ignore and fight. Then you went after the ref. Your gf us right. You got issues. Nobody gets that mad.....if they do....seek help.

Btw how old are you?

Old 08-17-2020, 09:51 PM

335 posts, read 187,443 times
Quote:
You need counseling, or like others have said, an anger management class to deal with your feelings when things escalate. I wouldn't start another relationship until you deal with this. Usually people with that type of rage had parents who were abusive emotionally, physically or both.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:00 PM

1,350 posts, read 820,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Maybe anger management would help. Dude I get hockey is full of guys who are tough and all that. You were wrong. You were told not to do anything yet you chose to ignore and fight. Then you went after the ref. Your gf us right. You got issues. Nobody gets that mad.....if they do....seek help.

Btw how old are you?
According to his other post, he is 24.

Quote:
Mod cut. Let's not forget his other post asked us if - Girls only like guys with big muscles.

So you just started online dating. Maybe the online dating isn't going so well so suddenly you want your ex back, and after one whole year? I'm sure she has moved on. She hasn't contacted you in a year. She was right to end it, as you have shown extreme rage and anger issues that require professional help, which you have not gotten any. Punching the refs?? Pummeling the guy that hit you, in a CHARITY friendly hockey game??

Stick with squeezing that stress ball and leave that girl alone.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-22-2020 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Personal attack.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:46 PM

6,467 posts, read 3,985,300 times
It's been a year. Let it go and move on. She probably has.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:38 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,310,482 times
No.

If you can accept any one of these answers without a debate or a response, you are moving in the right direction. Continue as you are, and don't go backwards.

Stress ball? You attacked the fellow after returning from the sidelines, you didn't listen to colleagues, you got into it with the ref, you got fired, it was a charity performance, the game was cancelled thereafter, and its been a year. Still a ticking timebomb. Who does this? In which sport would this be commended? No, sorry, your efforts at remediation were not sufficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships