Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 04:36 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Museums, walks or biking or skating in the park, walking on the beach (if there is one), flying kites, art gallery-hopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 04:37 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
Depends on the woman but if it were me...
Ice hockey game
Baseball game
Basketball game college or NBA
Local play, maybe a college play or musical event
Batting cages
Hiking
Free stuff like music in the park, picnic at regional park, (ok 7 bucks for sandwiches)
Horse racing just to watch them run not necessarily betting
It wasn't a first date but I wasn't dating my husband very long (maybe a month or so) when he took me to see my first hockey game. A boxing match broke out 10 minutes into the first period. Shirts, equipment and blood flying everywhere. One of the. best. dates. ever.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:42 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Naw, it just shows that she is brainy. Maybe she has bought tickets to take him to the roller derby NEXT week, but this week she is not ready to put herself in a situation where she is so physically vulnerable. And maybe he is too ignorant of women's lives to realise that's what he is asking.
In the scenario the poster said she "freaked out". I don't associate freaking out about a rowboat with being brainy lol.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:43 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
The following 'worked' for me, meaning we had a good time and had many more dates:

-Skeet shooting
-Minor League baseball game
-Church festival (maybe it worked because I won $250 at poker)
-biggest banana split sundae on the menu at ice cream shop
-motorcross stunting exhibition
-beer/wine tasting event

I rarely have traditional first dates. Many of the women I have dated have known me fairly well before we started dating.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:47 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatwritelove4ever View Post
Traditional first dates tend to be coffee, drinks, dinner, maybe even a movie. What are some out-of-the-box first date ideas?
One thing I could think about is making a movie.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:55 PM

863 posts, read 1,129,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
One thing I could think about is making a movie.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:11 PM

354 posts, read 617,925 times
The zoo has always been a good first date location for me.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:15 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
The following 'worked' for me, meaning we had a good time and had many more dates:

-Skeet shooting
-Minor League baseball game
-Church festival (maybe it worked because I won $250 at poker)
-biggest banana split sundae on the menu at ice cream shop
-motorcross stunting exhibition
-beer/wine tasting event

I rarely have traditional first dates. Many of the women I have dated have known me fairly well before we started dating.
The part I bolded is key. Since you were already well beyond the "getting to know you" phase and comfortable with each other before dating, it wasn't a big deal to have first dates that were a bit more substantial, outside-the-box and lengthy such as the minor league baseball game.

In situations where the guy barely knows the woman (e.g. met & chatted for 10 minutes at bar) or hasn't met the woman at all in person (e.g. OLD) before the first date, it's probably a good idea to keep the first date simple and casual such as a cafe and/or drinks or a light activity that allows for plenty of socializing and getting to know each other better. While a creative mind is a great asset in dating, don't try too hard to come up with something different or unorthodox...that may come across as desperate or weird and may make her feel a bit uncomfortable.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,930 times
I prefer walks in the park, hiking, walking on the beach, going to a classic car show, or visiting the zoo if an animal sanctuary isn't near – the animals at the zoo usually (but not always) look depressed/suicidal to me.

I like being somewhere where we can actually laugh, flirt, talk (and listen) without having distractions around like food, loud movies, loud people, loud babies, or loud music.

The outdoors is very beautiful, serene and calming, therefore, the conversation and the mood will mirror that .

Old 06-12-2013, 04:38 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
It depends on how you meet and what kind of interests the both of you have. If you're both athletic then suggesting a hike might be nice but if one of you is panting halfway up the hill it's not going to be a smooth date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships