Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 12:25 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times

Advertisements

I think a better question is. How much of an INTP are you really? And if say there are aspects that aren't good, would you change them? Will you stay in INTP category. I have been 4 different combinations of letters over the past 20 years of my life.

I was an INTP at one point, but very in tune with other people's emotions. Maybe because I'm more of an empath too. And I can express myself just fine. But at that point in my life, everything was much more thought out and more black/white. I definitely was repressing my emotions and doing the rational instead. When I'm more shades of gray, my T turns to an F. Which is what I am now. INFP. I've had a J in there at times too.

I went to read mine and I'm most of it, but not everything. I'm definitely not afraid of conflict and to me, being a conflict avoider is a red flag. I seem to attract E people, but I'm more at home with another I...doesn't matter what the rest of the letters are because like I said, I have changed over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 12:26 AM

38 posts, read 57,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Yes, dating is considerably more difficult for an INTJ:

Often clueless when it comes to romantic relationships. Many INTJs are likely to have difficulties dealing with anything that does not require logical reasoning and this weakness is especially visible in interpersonal relationships. They may overanalyze everything and get frustrated trying to understand how the other person thinks, try to use a nearly scientific approach to dating, or just give up altogether.

INTJ strengths and weaknesses | 16 Personality Types

I was once in a dance club (and also an sf fan club) with a woman who was interested in me and I didn't even recognize it until she told me. And I still don't know if my cluelessness was because I'm INTJ or maybe I have Asperger's.
When I was in college a girl I was interested in a couple years prior had gotten into my life somehow. We hung out a bit but I never saw any signs until we watched a movie one night and she literally told and showed me how I was supposed to put my arm around her. *Shock* Then, later, she again literally told and showed me how I was supposed to kiss her. *Double shock!*

Old 06-21-2013, 12:30 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
I usually like INTPs for friends because we're often both obsessed with theories & abstractions & enjoy intellectual stuff (such as Jungian theory, an obsession of mine, which includes MBTI stuff). But they can be too argumentative for my tastes. They seem to think they are being "objective" when they're really loaded with bias & just being dismissive. It doesn't strike me as logical so much as close-minded & rude. But I emphasize that I mostly like them & certainly would date a hot one .

I'm INFP, BTW.

I've read that INTPs & INFPs are the types least likely to marry or tend to marry much later in life than most (the same is not true for INJ types). Either we're disinterested or we find it hard to find a partner which suits us. I'm the latter, but I see many INTPs somewhat disinterested in romance.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Your personality cannot be adequately described by 4 letters.

We're much deeper than that.

At least you aren't hung up on one of 12 "signs" that are determined only by your birthdate ...

BTW, for what it's worth, I'm "probably" an INFP or an ISFP, but that doesn't describe who I am ...
You have to learn what they stand for. They're referring to cognitive functions or thinking styles.
People have patterns in thinking styles which color their personality. The preferred thinking is the ego - what the person experiences as most "themselves" the repressed parts are what they find to be "not themselves", hence the influence on personality & identity from preferred thinking styles.

You can also think of it this way. We often can classify people's physical traits rather easily. Take hair color for example. People note there is red, brown, blond, black and grey hair. Most people are easily categorized into one of those. And yet in reality, there are infinite colors of hair, many shades with graduate. Still, we recognize how many of these are similar enough in traits to be grouped as one category. That's basically what this typology system is doing. Yes, individuals are still individuals, still unique little snowflakes, but there are enough patterns of similarity that they can be grouped.

Before I learned about these theories, I always would pick up on these intangible similarities in people. They could be massively different in many ways & yet something about them would remind me of each other. MBTI gave me a vocabulary for labeling this. What I was seeing was a very base shared aspect of personality - a preferred thinking style.

I recommend this book by Dario Nardi called Neuroscience of Personality of the which details this experiment he did with his students where he scanned their brains (or something like that) & observed their thought patterns & compared them to personality traits they possessed. There were patterns that lined up very neatly with the MBTI type they identified with. It's a very simple, pop-psychology book, not truly scientific, but some interesting ideas.

I would also recommend Jung's Psychological Types, but many don't have the patience to work through his dense wording.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:47 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,216 times
I took that test years ago. I have no idea what I got on it. Does knowing make any difference in your life? I think we all have extroverted and introverted aspects to us. We all at some point are thinkers or feelers. I don't believe we fit into nice little categories like this.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:17 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I think a better question is. How much of an INTP are you really? And if say there are aspects that aren't good, would you change them? Will you stay in INTP category. I have been 4 different combinations of letters over the past 20 years of my life.

I was an INTP at one point, but very in tune with other people's emotions. Maybe because I'm more of an empath too. And I can express myself just fine. But at that point in my life, everything was much more thought out and more black/white. I definitely was repressing my emotions and doing the rational instead. When I'm more shades of gray, my T turns to an F. Which is what I am now. INFP. I've had a J in there at times too.

I went to read mine and I'm most of it, but not everything. I'm definitely not afraid of conflict and to me, being a conflict avoider is a red flag. I seem to attract E people, but I'm more at home with another I...doesn't matter what the rest of the letters are because like I said, I have changed over the years.
I think Introversion/Extraversion is the most valid part of Myers-Briggs and the rest is "pseudo psychology." So interesting observation on your part.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
You have to learn what they stand for. They're referring to cognitive functions or thinking styles.
People have patterns in thinking styles which color their personality. The preferred thinking is the ego - what the person experiences as most "themselves" the repressed parts are what they find to be "not themselves", hence the influence on personality & identity from preferred thinking styles.

You can also think of it this way. We often can classify people's physical traits rather easily. Take hair color for example. People note there is red, brown, blond, black and grey hair. Most people are easily categorized into one of those. And yet in reality, there are infinite colors of hair, many shades with graduate. Still, we recognize how many of these are similar enough in traits to be grouped as one category. That's basically what this typology system is doing. Yes, individuals are still individuals, still unique little snowflakes, but there are enough patterns of similarity that they can be grouped.

Before I learned about these theories, I always would pick up on these intangible similarities in people. They could be massively different in many ways & yet something about them would remind me of each other. MBTI gave me a vocabulary for labeling this. What I was seeing was a very base shared aspect of personality - a preferred thinking style.

I recommend this book by Dario Nardi called Neuroscience of Personality of the which details this experiment he did with his students where he scanned their brains (or something like that) & observed their thought patterns & compared them to personality traits they possessed. There were patterns that lined up very neatly with the MBTI type they identified with. It's a very simple, pop-psychology book, not truly scientific, but some interesting ideas.

I would also recommend Jung's Psychological Types, but many don't have the patience to work through his dense wording.
Perhaps so, but I think the MBTI is a very limited model of the personality, and therefore I think people are unnecessarily limiting themselves when they use it to pick a job or a mate ...

Old 06-21-2013, 06:40 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
I'm an ISTJ. I think I at least need an ENFJ, so mostly opposite. I hear that the "P" and a "J" don't mesh well, but I don't know enough about it. I think my ex-wife was an ENFJ, and we got along great until she decided she wasn't committed to the marriage anymore. So I married wrong, but got the personality mostly right.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:55 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
I found this personality typing system to be a very valuable tool for dating. I'm an INTJ, and my best matches are xNFx types. The women I dated (and many who contacted me), the overwhelmingly were NF's. The most useful trait identified by these types is communication style and value system. NT's and NF's are primarily abstract thinkers and usually more able to deal in comparative values and principles, whereas ST's and SF's are more concrete and tend to think more in terms of absolutes. NT's and NF's tend to be more liberal, ST's and SF's tend to be more conservative. Basically, the Nx types generally get along best together, and the Sx types do best with other Sx types. Of course, there are exceptions, and you can learn to deal well with other types, but it usually requires more effort to do so. My ex was ESFJ, and we had a very hard time finding common ground on many issues, and she looked at things from a very polarized perspective. My wife is INFJ, and we have a very easy time communicating and reaching agreement on almost any issue. The other NF's I dated also shared these traits.

I've also found this system to be very useful at work, as it provides tools to effectively work with people of other types where personality can get in the way of effective cooperation.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:13 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times
Although I have gotten multiple different MBTI results over the years, the most recent one I received was INFJ. My dearest angel is INFP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships