Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 02:00 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,155,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Strange indeed! Just don't let that taint your view of all southern states
Erm.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
No kidding, of all the f****** up places to visit for the first time. I hope he doesn't pass through any of the backwoods racist towns there.
"Mississippi Burning" was a long time ago right? Does the state still have a slightly unsavoury reputation or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The weather is gonna be miserable, just prepare yourself for that.

Yeah, and the southern drawl might take you back a bit, and depending on who you run into, you're gonna get a lot of "you talk funny" comments, not sure which regional UK accent you have though....other than that, I hear the southerners can be really nice and friendly....
I hadn't considered the weather, just figured it'd be hot and a little humid. As to my accent well... It's along the same lines as James May from Top Gear but not quite as rounded and maybe a little deeper. It's been understandable in other parts of the US....so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Mississippi, the United States very own short bus state.
Not a clue what that means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Seems as though your friend has a slight sadistic streak. Enjoy yourself otherwise!
Erm....... (again). It's where his wife is from and where they live. She's Black (is that very un-PC? or the correct term? It's how he describes her ) and he's white (and Welsh). I know his Welshness will be uncommon anyway . Would that be unusual in that region?

Your comments have certainly got me thinking a wee bit anyway.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:08 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
It is a unique area. Their thinking isn't common. Even among the Americans.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:47 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,469,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I thought Florida was heaven's waiting room.
It's a waiting room alright. beep, beep, beep.

Actually, it's a very lovely place to lay back and play dead, soak up the sun. Seriously, I love the place, the way it's run and the mindset of some of it's inhabitants now that's a whole nother book to write about.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:51 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
I've just got a wedding invitation with a difference..... It's in August and it's in Jackson Mississippi.

Someone I was in the army with is marrying a woman that was in the US Army whom he met when they were at Camp Bastion, Afgh' years ago. They've been together in Jackson for a couple of years and now they're tying the knot.

So, i'll be heading there for a week at the end of August, should be interesting, i've never been to a southern state before i'm looking forward to it. Oh, there'll be no wife with me either as she's chairing a conference in Germany that week. I'll be flying solo in a strange land.
I was born in MS. Dad served in the Army (I grew up an Army brat), was stationed at a fort for a short time, before getting orders to Fort Riley, KS.

From what I remember, first word I learned to spell was.........MISSISSIPPI.......

Have a Wonderful Adventure, Bro...

Old 07-20-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Erm.......

"Mississippi Burning" was a long time ago right? Does the state still have a slightly unsavoury reputation or something?

I hadn't considered the weather, just figured it'd be hot and a little humid. As to my accent well... It's along the same lines as James May from Top Gear but not quite as rounded and maybe a little deeper. It's been understandable in other parts of the US....so far.

Erm....... (again). It's where his wife is from and where they live. She's Black (is that very un-PC? or the correct term? It's how he describes her ) and he's white (and Welsh). I know his Welshness will be uncommon anyway . Would that be unusual in that region?

Um, I don't think so, I call myself a chocolate covered cutie, but black is fine by me.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:12 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times
Quote:
Erm.......

Two of my coworkers were in Mississippi after hurricane Katrina working for a television satellite company at the time. They were telling stories of people not letting them on their property due to their ethnic origin and one town had a very strongly worded racial warning posted at the city limit.

Quote:
A little humid, the state is on the Gulf of Mexico, that's like calling water damp.
Quote:
Traditionally in many school systems in the US, where busing kids to schools is the norm, special needs children ride special buses which tend to be shorter.

Quote:

Ohhh, unusual would be an understatement, kind of like calling an atom bomb a firecracker.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:31 PM

769 posts, read 977,376 times
I made it back to SC in one piece. I am finally divorced and it is great. I feel this 500 lbs weight off my back. I behaved myself and didn't cry until that night. It wasn't the divorvcing himm since he made my skin crawl in so many negavtive ways but just getting divorced. Feel like a total failure and that I could turn into the crazy cat lady.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:47 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsechick71 View Post
I made it back to SC in one piece. I am finally divorced and it is great. I feel this 500 lbs weight off my back. I behaved myself and didn't cry until that night. It wasn't the divorvcing himm since he made my skin crawl in so many negavtive ways but just getting divorced. Feel like a total failure and that I could turn into the crazy cat lady.
Don't think of divorce as a failure. Rather it is a legal dissolution of a partnership. Been there, done that. When I looked it as a legal matter and an acknowledgment that there was no marriage.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:14 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,854 times
We stayed at the dog B&B. I can't possibly recommend that place enough! It is fun and whimsical, and the owners are the nicest people you could ever meet. We spent a few hours talking to them and felt like we left with three new friends (they have a golden retriever). I definitely want to go back some day!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
We stayed at the dog B&B. I can't possibly recommend that place enough! It is fun and whimsical, and the owners are the nicest people you could ever meet. We spent a few hours talking to them and felt like we left with three new friends (they have a golden retriever). I definitely want to go back some day!

Sounds like you both are having a great time. Keep it up. Don't forget to sample the road kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.