Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:59 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,528,665 times

Advertisements

Sex on Campus - She Can Play That Game, Too - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 11:03 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times
i love "journalism" where you get to just make blanket statements like "It is by now pretty well understood that traditional dating in college has mostly gone the way of the landline" with absolutely no evidence besides some anecdote about a randy ivy league coed

Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
i love "journalism" where you get to just make blanket statements like "It is by now pretty well understood that traditional dating in college has mostly gone the way of the landline" with absolutely no evidence besides some anecdote about a randy ivy league coed
I'm sure it doesn't apply to Bob Jones University, but i am less certain about Brigham Young.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:52 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
Not every women is emotionally built for just hooking up with guys. Alot of those women are fronting.

And when I say fronting I don't mean as in their lying about having casual sex. I mean alot are lying about that being what they truly want and being happy. Many just go along with it because in 13', that's what "your supposed to do"

Old 07-15-2013, 06:48 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
It's mostly true though.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:41 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
I have noticed a pattern with women I know who have at some point in their lives regularly hooked up with guys they were not in relationships with. They typically have done it because they felt it might encourage a relationship to grow out of it. I have seen it as a pattern in women who have low confidence, low self esteem, and have not felt they could attract a quality guy on the merits of their personalities and interests alone.

Of course, I am not saying this is always the case either, or even a majority. Just that I find it hard to trust such blanket generalizations.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:15 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
"Ask her why she hasn’t had a relationship at Penn, and she won’t complain about the death of courtship or men who won’t commit. Instead, she’ll talk about “cost-benefit” analyses and the “low risk and low investment costs” of hooking up."

I'm going to go cry with John Boehner and Glenn Beck.

"Their relationship, she noted, is not about the meeting of two souls."

Then why doesn't she just masturbate or use a fake penis.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:28 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I read the whole article. Does the author live in fantasy land at Disney World. College students having getting drunk and having sex. Its been a long time ago, but I vaguely remember the same thing in my youth. Some girls at college primarily to get their MRS degree. Some there to get professional training, but not really interested in a boyfriend. What is new here? I don't get it.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:06 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
"Ask her why she hasn’t had a relationship at Penn, and she won’t complain about the death of courtship or men who won’t commit. Instead, she’ll talk about “cost-benefit” analyses and the “low risk and low investment costs” of hooking up."

I'm going to go cry with John Boehner and Glenn Beck.

"Their relationship, she noted, is not about the meeting of two souls."

Then why doesn't she just masturbate or use a fake penis.

Sex with a person is more fun.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:14 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Coming from a college student, this article sounds like a dumb writer's attempt to sensationalize something that isn't all that interesting. Some people are into hooking up, and others aren't.

To try to run a blanket statement for all college students is ridiculous. Most people I know aren't going through a mental battle trying their hardest to take all emotion out of sex and they aren't going out having sex every night.

Reading things like this article really just gets under my skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships