Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,482 times

Advertisements

IMO that's kind of selfish. If you don't like someone like that or anymore break it off so they can find someone they really want and you the same. Ive always been upfront with girls who liked me even if i wasnt feeling them like that. On the other hand, if you knowingly allow yourself to get played like that its your fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
Selfishness. You hit the nail of the head. People want the benefit of knowing someone is interested in them, but are not willing to commit. Or maybe they are too insecure to be alone, so they feign interest long enough to bridge the gap. I guess there are plenty of ways you can describe it. It all comes down to selfishness though.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:19 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
People can be unsure how they feel about someone, too afraid to hurt the other person's feelings, think that things will get better, a myriad of reasons. It's not always that simple.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:32 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
People can be unsure how they feel about someone, too afraid to hurt the other person's feelings, think that things will get better, a myriad of reasons. It's not always that simple.
Thats different. I'm talking about the people who are absolutely sure about their feelings about the person.

For example I have a cousin, lord knows I love him to death but dude is an ******* when it comes to his girlfriend. They've been together for 1.5 years she's a nice person and clearly in love with him but he doesn't nearly feel the same way and has told me this. He cheats on her and goes after other women all the time. The problem he has is, he can't get the women he really wants to commit to him. Since he loves the benefits of havin her as a GF he doesn't break it off even tho he clearly doesn't feel about her the same we she does about him.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:05 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,268,494 times
I think individuals string people along because it makes them feel better about themself, gives them confidence and a self esteem boost! Personally I think these type of individuals are selfish self observed idiots. They knowingly use another persons feelings, love and attention for self satisfaction then discard them as though they are nothing!

If you don't want to be with someone have the balls to say so

Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Thats different. I'm talking about the people who are absolutely sure about their feelings about the person.

For example I have a cousin, lord knows I love him to death but dude is an ******* when it comes to his girlfriend. They've been together for 1.5 years she's a nice person and clearly in love with him but he doesn't nearly feel the same way and has told me this. He cheats on her and goes after other women all the time. The problem he has is, he can't get the women he really wants to commit to him. Since he loves the benefits of havin her as a GF he doesn't break it off even tho he clearly doesn't feel about her the same we she does about him.
Oh yes, I guess that's the meaning of 'string along.' I have a friend who is similar, except he seems to have a new gf every 6 months or so. He also has a fetish for Japanese girls. Also cheats on her and stuff. We don't really hang out much anymore though, frankly his antics just annoy me. He's constantly talking in graphic detail about his 'conquests.'

Old 02-16-2013, 08:37 AM

39,218 posts, read 27,586,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
I think individuals string people along because it makes them feel better about themself, gives them confidence and a self esteem boost! Personally I think these type of individuals are selfish self observed idiots. They knowingly use another persons feelings, love and attention for self satisfaction then discard them as though they are nothing!

^^^^ this ^^^^^

Old 02-16-2013, 09:48 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
IMO that's kind of selfish. If you don't like someone like that or anymore break it off so they can find someone they really want and you the same. Ive always been upfront with girls who liked me even if i wasnt feeling them like that. On the other hand, if you knowingly allow yourself to get played like that its your fault.
Women leave relationships when they cannot take it anymore; men leave relationships once they have another relationship waiting for them. Men do not like the sexless period between relationships. That is one reason men string women along.

Another reason is many people, of both sexes, are total cowards in the face of emotional conflict. They want to end a relationship. but don't want to deal with the spurned partner's negative response. They will often do anything--evade, deflect, lie, stall, even disappear--to avoid this. This is not because they care about the other person. They only care about making the breakup as easy as possible on themselves. It is one of the most common, and most despicable, things people do to each other.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:57 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post

Totally agree. I knew someone like this...complete assh*le and acted like he was some prize.
If I had to describe him I'd say he was selfish, cowardly, lacked self-esteem and was a manipulative individual. He needed that ego boost though...kind of hard not to feel sorry for him when you think of how pathetic the behavior is. However, I have more sympathy for the women he will encounter in his life.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,645,510 times
I despise seeing people do this. It's basically selfishness with a little bit of cowardliness thrown in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships