Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 PM

167 posts, read 378,028 times

Advertisements

I just listened to a playlist I made and used to listen to during my happiest time in life. Once I heard the playlist, I just cried and cried and cried.

Why is nostalgia so powerful?

What makes it one of the most intense feelings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:35 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,579,707 times
I have no idea, but I've done that a time or two (minus the crying). What was on your playlist if you don't mind my asking?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,232,127 times
Because most peoples lives are huge vast valleys with very few peaks, if you have had a few nice peaks in life and are in a valley so wide there are no peaks to be seen but behind you that can be very depressing.

No one would care about nostalgia if they were always going on to bigger and bigger peaks but that's not most peoples reality.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 PM

167 posts, read 378,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaentendu19 View Post
I have no idea, but I've done that a time or two (minus the crying). What was on your playlist if you don't mind my asking?
Checking On My Pumas by The Lytics

Logos by Faded Paper Figures

Strangers by Van She

Big City Sound Girl by The Lytics

Trippin' At The Disco by People Under The Stairs

Doctor Doctor by Fred Falke

Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Because most peoples lives are huge vast valleys with very few peaks, if you have had a few nice peaks in life and are in a valley so wide there are no peaks to be seen but behind you that can be very depressing.

No one would care about nostalgia if they were always going on to bigger and bigger peaks but that's not most peoples reality.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:09 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times
I heard recently that nostalgia is actually a good and healthy thing. It was mentioned on a radio news item from some recent report. Sorry that I don't have the source.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
I just listened to a playlist I made and used to listen to during my happiest time in life. Once I heard the playlist, I just cried and cried and cried.

I guess I need to be grateful that most of my life was pretty sucky so that I really would rather NOT think about it.

The best is yet to be.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,764,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post

Because sometimes we yearn for the past...happier times...and when we felt truly loved, and valued, and treasured. Especially if we feel unloved and uncared for, in the present.

The loss of a true love gone awry or amiss, can be very painful indeed...

ETA - some possible examples:

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 07-30-2013 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: Adds

Old 07-31-2013, 12:34 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,418,521 times
Nostalgia holds sentimental values.. sentimental values give meaning to life..

but you're not living life if you're wanting to relive the past..

Living in the moment is a tough thing to do when the past holds some of the most happiest memories, most profound innocent times of our lives when we were simple and carefree and free to not fear and just be..

Maybe this is your chance to re-examine what you want in your life so you can make changes for what you want now to prepare for the future.

Past, present, and future.. all go hand-in-hand.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:31 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,310,855 times
Nostalgia is clean. There are no memories of misery or mistakes. This is not reality. Nostalgia is sanitized. There are no errors and the affective mind is romantic. That's what nostalgia is about. It is a fairy tale lifestyle in the greasy underworld of living under bridges and in the gutter, which is what makes it perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships