Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,533 times

Advertisements

A friend is moving back in with her ex husband after living apart for a number of years. They had a terrible divorce with incredible hate, anger and lawsuits. He tried to have the children taken from her because he thought she was an unfit mother.

Now I see them together and you have never seen a couple he appear to be so much in love. She claims their divorce and fighting afterwards years ago was just a big misunderstanding and they are sole mates now. She is moving back in with him and are talking about getting remarried in the Spring.

Do you know about any statistics of the success of second marriages to the same spouse? Or any stories about how it turned out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Ultimate make up sex. Beyond that? No idea.

(I rarely believe in dating people twice as the same reasons why it ended up the first time are probably still there.)

Old 12-31-2013, 07:27 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
I married my wife in 1994. We divorced in 1997, began dating again in 1999, got remarried in 2000 and have been together ever since. We rode out a rough stretch in 2006, but things have been grat since then.

Every case is different.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:31 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,524 times
Every case are different. But I hope them the best. I believe if there is a will, there is a way.
I wish your friends the best!

Old 12-31-2013, 08:12 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
I'd be mortified if my mother ever went back to any of her exes. EXs are EXs for a reason. I firmly believe that.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:15 AM

270 posts, read 968,384 times
I personally know of 3 couples in the same situation (divorced and then remarried to the same person), 2 couples are very happily married today and the 3rd couple had a 2nd bitter divorce. In the first two couples, there were children involved, so I'm sure that played a major factor in their reconciliation. In the 3rd couple, they did not have kids during their first marriage and had kids during their 2nd marriage.

Last edited by srnyong; 12-31-2013 at 09:01 AM..

Old 12-31-2013, 08:35 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
An ex is an ex for a reason. The couple who look to reconcile need to spend time looking at why their marriage failed the first time. I maintain that getting together with an ex is a terrible idea. The problems before will pop up again or will be worse than before.

If they remain friends, ok. If they are civil that is fine. It is best to leave the past in the past and move on. There is anecdotal evidence here of couple who get back together and are happy. More often couples who remarry their ex go through a more contentious divorce or split for the same reasons. There is no way in hell I would ever get together with my ex, ever.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:56 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,382,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
An ex is an ex for a reason.
As much as it pains me to agree with the above, I do. I tried to go back to my ex-husband a few times, and after a brief honeymoon period, it was evident that nothing had changed. Personally, I find it very difficult to regain the momentum of the initial relationship. That break in continuity is more than just symbolic. After a certain point, the heart just moves on ...

After several years, I suppose it's possible for a reconciliation. I wish your friend the best -- truly.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:10 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
It reinforces my notion that people don't inherently change. The deep down inside what makes them tick stays fairly static. Prefer end may change, personality doesn't.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:22 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
A friend is moving back in with her ex husband after living apart for a number of years. They had a terrible divorce with incredible hate, anger and lawsuits. He tried to have the children taken from her because he thought she was an unfit mother.

Now I see them together and you have never seen a couple he appear to be so much in love. She claims their divorce and fighting afterwards years ago was just a big misunderstanding and they are sole mates now. She is moving back in with him and are talking about getting remarried in the Spring.

Do you know about any statistics of the success of second marriages to the same spouse? Or any stories about how it turned out?
I really don't think statistics really mean anything. If they are happy together now, then wish them good luck and that is it, that is what I would do anyway.

My sister has told us (her family) at least twice she wanted to divorce her husband. Her words, "This time, I am divorcing him for good. If I change my mind again, send me to mental hospital!" Couple weeks later she changed her mind.

We will never know what really goes through a person's head. To me, if a guy cheats, lies, verbally and emotionally abuses the wife, he is a scumbag. It is really that simple. But some folks want to make this so complex. Oh, there is misunderstanding, there are always two sides in one story, this and that. Excuse after excuse. Who knows what they think?

In your example, I just cannot understand how can anybody turn "extreme hatred, lawsuit, threatening to take kid away from the other person" to "soul mate, extremely in love". To me, it is simple madness. But just because it doesn't make sense to me, it doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to them.

If these two are happy, let them be. I have decided to just let my sister be. I started to think she enjoys drama and cannot live without them. I have no other explanations. But the more I talk to my sister, the more I hear crazy "love/hate" stories, the more I know about myself, the more I know what I want and what I don't want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships