Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:56 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
My husband "follows" me on our debit account when I go shopping. He knows where I've been and how much I've spent. When I get home he says "so what did we buy today?" LOL
That's the beauty of separate finances.

I'm not a huge fan of shopping for shopping's sake. The only time I like to browse is if I'm on vacation or in a touristy place, OR in a bookstore.

I don't ask my husband to join me if I'm shopping for clothes. I love him FAR too much to put him through that torture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
That's the beauty of separate finances.

I'm not a huge fan of shopping for shopping's sake. The only time I like to browse is if I'm on vacation or in a touristy place, OR in a bookstore.

I don't ask my husband to join me if I'm shopping for clothes. I love him FAR too much to put him through that torture.
Oh I don't mind...he's not complaining.
He told me he can tell when I'm on my way home (I rarely answer the phone when I'm out)...I start hitting locations closer to home and the last stop is usually the grocery store. He knows he's getting a decent meal when that happens...LOL

Old 08-15-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *sixy* View Post
oh i don't mind...he's not complaining.
He told me he can tell when i'm on my way home (i rarely answer the phone when i'm out)...i start hitting locations closer to home and the last stop is usually the grocery store. He knows he's getting a decent meal when that happens...lol
lol!

Old 08-16-2013, 12:53 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
I don't get what the big deal is. Is she making you go along? Is she using up ALL the free time you guys have together to shop?
I'm like your wife, I LOVE shopping, not even buying stuff as much as browsing, I can kill hours upon hours even in a grocery store. It's relaxing to me, it's a nice mindless pastime. My husband is like you, hates shopping, so I never bring him along if I can help it; I can't even drag him out to buy HIM some new clothes, I buy all his clothes down to underwear and socks. It works for us. He likes video games, he plays hours of them on the computer every single day after work, WAY more than I go shopping - I don't get that, but I really couldn't care less; all I ask is that he pitch in with spending time with our son, but after his bedtime - he can play as much as he wants - while I browse online shopping sites, lol! I know lots of women who hound their spouses constantly about playing too many video games because they think it's immature, childish, silly, whatever. I never got that. We're both grown people, we have the right to do what we like doing to relax, with no judgement. Simple as that. He actually tends to be more judgemental about my pastimes than I do his, so I'll bring that point up whenever he says something and he shuts up. We spend weekends together as a family and when we have a chance we'll go to date nights and whatnot, I'd never give that up to go shopping. But, especially before we had a kid, if he wanted to spend half a weekend day raiding while I went shopping - hell, what's wrong with that?

Old 08-16-2013, 02:54 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashrulez View Post
Usually chronic shoppers are people who are trying to escape from their lives.
This has a lot of truth in it, and in the light of the OP's tone, suggests the real problem in the marriage is not differences in shopping habits....

Old 08-16-2013, 08:01 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post

Usually when I go shopping I'm on a mission for something. Sometimes with my sisters or my friends, we'll go shopping as kind of a bonding experience. Nobody's spending a lot of (or any) money, but we walk around, we talk, we get coffee, that sort of thing. It's just something to pass the time.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:09 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Really? This is a problem?

You don't like to shop - that's fine. You SHOULD join her on shopping trips for things that you both need or for the house. The rest of the time, you politely decline. It's not that hard. She can drive, right? If she holds it against you, that's a problem, but you deal with that as it comes.

Honestly, based on this thread and the other you started here, you seem like a rather high-strung and easily irritated person who has married someone who is needy and pushy. That's not a good combination. Marriage counseling would probably be a good idea.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Usually when I go shopping I'm on a mission for something. Sometimes with my sisters or my friends, we'll go shopping as kind of a bonding experience. Nobody's spending a lot of (or any) money, but we walk around, we talk, we get coffee, that sort of thing. It's just something to pass the time.
Yeah, I sometimes do that too.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:15 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
Can others of you relate?

LRH
Frankly I think you sound a bit wacko. She likes to shop. She doesn't spend much. You don't have to go with her. So freakin' what?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:08 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
My wife doesn't particularly like shopping. I don't care for it either, but it's not a big deal.

We do almost all shopping together. It's more efficient, and I have a large influence on what clothing she buys, so she always wears things that look good to me, and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships