Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 07:28 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times

Advertisements

Someone who has no problem trying new foods, visiting different places, being active and trying different things. Every time I meet someone like that they are taken or not looking.

Not necessarily looking for a traveler though.

With that said, I live in the bible belt, with a rather conservative post-college community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:32 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Join a travel group? Idk

Old 08-18-2013, 07:32 PM

826 posts, read 1,894,435 times
There are people like that everywhere, but you may be hard pressed to find such people in large numbers in a conservative area.
I moved out of the Midwest for a related reason. Back in the East Coast, I am with "my tribe".
But keep the hope alive. Are there meetups in your area? You might be able to find groups that attract that sort of person. Or, post an ad on craigslist in the platonics section.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:34 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Someone who has no problem trying new foods, visiting different places, being active and trying different things. Every time I meet someone like that they are taken or not looking.

Not necessarily looking for a traveler though.

With that said, I live in the bible belt, with a rather conservative post-college community.
Are you done with your BA now? Why are you still in the Bible Belt? When was it that you were going to move to the West Coast?

But to answer your question, given where you're currently located, you look in out-of-the-way places. You look in Civil Rights organizations and other liberal political or environmental groups. You check the local Zen center or other Buddhist groups (havens for free thinkers). If there's a travel bookstore in your town, you hang out there and attend the slide shows. You do sports of various sorts. Use your imagination. Most importantly: think outside the box in order to find others who think outside the local mainstream.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:46 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times
Good suggestions! Also groups for foodies and hikers.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you done with your BA now? Why are you still in the Bible Belt? When was it that you were going to move to the West Coast?

But to answer your question, given where you're currently located, you look in out-of-the-way places. You look in Civil Rights organizations and other liberal political or environmental groups. You check the local Zen center or other Buddhist groups (havens for free thinkers). If there's a travel bookstore in your town, you hang out there and attend the slide shows. You do sports of various sorts. Use your imagination. Most importantly: think outside the box in order to find others who think outside the local mainstream.
I am done. But I am doing some work in the middle of nowhere, trying to get industry experience.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I am done. But I am doing some work in the middle of nowhere, trying to get industry experience.
Good idea. Thanks for the update.

Also: try theater improv classes or community theater groups.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:19 PM

727 posts, read 1,534,148 times
People like that tend to exist is larger, more cosmopolitan cities. Most people that live in East Bubba aren't interested in travelling past the Wal-Mart up the highway or trying anything that isn't served out of a building shaped like a pig.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
People like that tend to exist is larger, more cosmopolitan cities. Most people that live in East Bubba aren't interested in travelling past the Wal-Mart up the highway or trying anything that isn't served out of a building shaped like a pig.
You can still find the rare iconoclasts, though, with some luck and good search strategies. Granted, a needle in the haystack, but the OP doesn't seem willing to just wait until he moves to a different region, so....

Old 08-18-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can still find the rare iconoclasts, though, with some luck and good search strategies. Granted, a needle in the haystack, but the OP doesn't seem willing to just wait until he moves to a different region, so....
Life is too short to wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships