Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:06 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
Well do not move to Seattle you might hate it.

It's not that people here are unfriendly, they will hold the door for you and wave you into traffic and stuff like that, it's that everything is maddeningly impersonal. The attitude is "have a nice day, somewhere else". It's easy to get along but making friends is almost impossible. People will say they want to hang out with you sometime and look at you like a freak when you actually suggest something. People enthusiastically say they are coming to a party then don't show up. People are flaky and hard to pin down. Girls lead you on for weeks and snub you with no explanation. People are insincere. Norms of social interaction don't apply here. Most people don't like or dislike you, they're totally indifferent. Every interaction will be maddeningly superficial.

While in settings such as bars and parties, people from Seattle tend to mainly interact with their particular clique.

Rather than be outgoing and kind to others, men and women in Seattle have decided that the best way to be friendly is to simply leave people alone to do as they please.
With everyone leaving everyone else alone, it has become unnatural to talk to strangers. Indeed, those that do try to go out of their way and meet someone new are seen as strange and possibly off, and are often tolerated until the moment that the person has the opportunity to leave.

It takes longer to open up and friendship has to grow slowly up here.The uncomfortable looks you get when you strike up a conversation with a stranger. The lack of eye contact. The shy, don’t-talk-to-me body language.

We have a saying up here it goes like this "Hey lets do something some time and by some time i mean never". Another one is have a nice day but have it somewhere else.

Yea it can suck up hear and making friends is hard . One just was to really work at making friends and be outgoing.
Another saying for Seattle is it's like the prom queen who's nice to you because she wants you to vote for her. I will find the people you're talking about and then the complete opposite, the people who are so desperate for you to like them, probably because of aforementioned people who close them off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 05:49 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
I think if there is nothing serious tying you to the town/city that you live in and you are having dating problems, a move can be very good. There are places that have more singles and a better dating scene, depending on what you are looking for. It is exciting and something new, a new start.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:07 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,798 times
Eh...I just can't see moving, just because you can't get a date. It's one thing if you are having a hard time making money, Cost of living is too high AND you can't find dates. But if everything else is going well, that's a big risk to take. My dating life sucks right now, but I have a great job, great career, and awesome friends to hang out with. I just can't see starting over again in a new town, new part of the country or whatever, just to get dates.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:56 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Before I moved, I never could find a girl who was actually single. Since I've moved...I can't find a girl who's actually single.
I am but I probably don't count since I'm divorced.

And I think moving is good if you're alone in that city and in a rut.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:26 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I am but I probably don't count since I'm divorced.

And I think moving is good if you're alone in that city and in a rut.
Divorced is fine, but I'm not finding any divorced ones who are single, either.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:32 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Divorced is fine, but I'm not finding any divorced ones who are single, either.
Yeah a lot women aren't completely single. There's always someone in the wings, some wolf you have to (try) to shoo away. I'm truly a freak of nature though. No men hanging around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships