Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:08 PM

32 posts, read 77,119 times

Advertisements

I just joined a dating site to put myself out there, and haven't filled out my profile yet, but already women are messaging me and viewing me. I'm not good looking either so this is good yet I can't even begin to interact back with them. I'm already contemplating deleting my profile. I feel like something's in my brain is keeping me from dating. It's something I can't get over I've tried so many times and failed. I have serious mental problems that I can't get over. I just want to get over it and be a man to the ladies, and show them a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 09:13 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
Theres only one way to get better at anything and thats experience. If you get involved, you have to understand, successful relationships are hard work. With all the good stuff comes the bad stuff. They are full of ups and downs. You'll never know till you try.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:15 PM

96 posts, read 148,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocre View Post
I just joined a dating site to put myself out there, and haven't filled out my profile yet, but already women are messaging me and viewing me. I'm not good looking either so this is good yet I can't even begin to interact back with them. I'm already contemplating deleting my profile. I feel like something's in my brain is keeping me from dating. It's something I can't get over I've tried so many times and failed. I have serious mental problems that I can't get over. I just want to get over it and be a man to the ladies, and show them a good time.
You worry way too much. Just do your own thing. Either they hate you... or fantasize about you while in their bed. Do your own thing and be as bluntly honest as possible. No two guys are alike....IF you are honest. You can blow sunshine and rainbows up their butts and become what they want when they want it. All the other men want to puke though......

Are you for real?

You sound like a douche "brother". LOL

Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 PM

"I enjoy long walks in the park to watch the sunset.....I slip off and bring out my romance novel....for an evening meal I love a six course with fine dinning.....I can't wait to get home to tend to my flowers".........

Just shut up Tommy and dig the fishin' bait already!

LMAO

Old 09-04-2013, 09:33 PM

32 posts, read 77,119 times
I think it's something much deeper. It's irrational but I can't help it. It's like a phobia. Someone can be deathly scared of curtains, know it's an irrational fear but still shriek in horror at the sight of them. I think it's something similar with me.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocre View Post
I think it's something much deeper. It's irrational but I can't help it. It's like a phobia. Someone can be deathly scared of curtains, know it's an irrational fear but still shriek in horror at the sight of them. I think it's something similar with me.
Rule number #1 is to be your true self at ALL times. That may cost you dates, but at least you avoid confusion. It's very hard to fake being a "romeo"..."foot sweeper"...(whatever you want to call it) when your buddy is revving his motorcycle up in the background noise of the phone conversation. You won't end up at some bridal show with your "unit" tapped between your legs either. She wouldn't even ask you to go in the first place.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
When you say "serious mental problems" im assuming that these are not actual medical problems you're talking about?

Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Here's some advice to try and "Get over" your insecurity about looks.

You need to "Address" the issue of your looks and not hide behind it. Its sort of like how balding men try the "combover" Not only does it look horrible, it really shows insecurity on the part of the comboveree.

When someone is unattractive physically, they need to compensate for that by being an amazing person among other things. Part of that "amazingness" is the ability to laugh at yourself, project confidence (fake it if you have to) and just be an overall fun person to be around.

Your biggest fear, and i'm just guessing here, is that someone will tell you to your face that you're unattractive (in a much more harsh way than using the word unattractive). If you can somehow get over that fear and just "Address" your looks in your mind, i think you will have a much better time going forward.

Another fear you might have is that you meet a girl on this dating site, hit it off with her somewhat, but when it comes time to exchange pictures or meet, you're worried she will reject you based on looks.

Maybe you need to be up front right away and actually be honest about it and tell them right off the bat where you stand because its going to come out eventually anyway, at least you get credit for being honest up front.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Here's some advice to try and "Get over" your insecurity about looks.

You need to "Address" the issue of your looks and not hide behind it. Its sort of like how balding men try the "combover" Not only does it look horrible, it really shows insecurity on the part of the comboveree.

When someone is unattractive physically, they need to compensate for that by being an amazing person among other things. Part of that "amazingness" is the ability to laugh at yourself, project confidence (fake it if you have to) and just be an overall fun person to be around.

Your biggest fear, and i'm just guessing here, is that someone will tell you to your face that you're unattractive (in a much more harsh way than using the word unattractive). If you can somehow get over that fear and just "Address" your looks in your mind, i think you will have a much better time going forward.

Another fear you might have is that you meet a girl on this dating site, hit it off with her somewhat, but when it comes time to exchange pictures or meet, you're worried she will reject you based on looks.

Maybe you need to be up front right away and actually be honest about it and tell them right off the bat where you stand because its going to come out eventually anyway, at least you get credit for being honest up front.
There's already a thread going on here where a poster had the courage to post a IRL pic of himself. Right off the bat he was bombarded with "suggestions" on what he needed to fix about himself. Nah, the guy has balls that need to driven around in a dump truck quite honestly.

It's how the OP should "weed em out" too.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:37 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times
HOLD THE PHONES CDR!!!!! TODAY IS A SPECIAL DAY!!!!!

A MALE CDR POSTER COMPLAINING ABOUT TOO MANY MESSAGES BEFORE HE EVEN FILLS OUT HIS PROFILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more seriously, to OP... if you haven't even filled out your profile the messages are just spam not actual messages so don't panic just yet

besides that, without knowing the nature of your "serious mental problems" it's hard to give any useful advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships