Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 09:19 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,037,281 times

Advertisements

I've done this myself and many other men have, but I hear sometimes people ask a woman out to a group event. Like, "Hey, me and my friends are going to this concert in the park this Fri night. If you're interested, feel free to join us"

Then when spending time with each other there, you can ask her out on a private date.

I think this is becoming more common and allows it to be more organic...less pressure.

Sometimes I wonder if this is even a good idea? Yes? No? Some refer to this as a "group date".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 09:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
It's called "hedging your bets":

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/hedge+bets

Old 07-04-2018, 09:22 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
Nothing wrong with being direct. That's the more honest and courageous way.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:11 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,857 times
I have been asked out in this way, and I didn't show up. Just felt uncomfortable showing up to a group event by myself when it was a group of people I didn't know. I also felt like being asked out in that manner, my "date" didn't care if I showed up or not. So I didn't.

Last edited by Butterflyfish; 07-04-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 07-04-2018, 11:15 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,037,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
. I also felt like being asked out in that manner, my "date" didn't care if I showed up or not. So I didn't.
Funny you mention this, because there are mixed reviews regarding this. Some prefer to ask a woman out in this fashion due to the fact that there's less pressure...the fact that the person "cared' or not didn't enter their minds, but it makes me wonder why would it enter yours?

Old 07-04-2018, 11:17 AM

207 posts, read 108,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I've done this myself and many other men have, but I hear sometimes people ask a woman out to a group event. Like, "Hey, me and my friends are going to this concert in the park this Fri night. If you're interested, feel free to join us"

Then when spending time with each other there, you can ask her out on a private date.

I think this is becoming more common and allows it to be more organic...less pressure.

Sometimes I wonder if this is even a good idea? Yes? No? Some refer to this as a "group date".

Just say you are going to x event or that you are going to x library on x hours and x day, and ask her if she wants to come along. She's been hit on by men since she was 15 years old, she knows you are interested in wanting a date with her. She will either say yes, or she will say she can't, that she has to be someplace else/meet someone/knit a sweater for her favorite worldcup team, something like that.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:22 AM

399 posts, read 221,171 times
I don't think group dates are a good idea unless you've already been dating for a while.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:30 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,771,051 times
Quote:

When I was single, this is what I wanted a guy who was interested in dating me to do.

Directly ask me out.

Please do not beat around the bush.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:12 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,857 times
Quote:
Funny you mention this, because there are mixed reviews regarding this. Some prefer to ask a woman out in this fashion due to the fact that there's less pressure...the fact that the person "cared' or not didn't enter their minds, but it makes me wonder why would it enter yours?
I'm not sure I understand your question, but if my so-called date didn't care if I showed up or not, why would I bother showing up to an event with him and a group of his friends?

Also I don't understand the concern about pressure. What type of pressure?

Old 07-04-2018, 12:45 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,771,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
I'm not sure I understand your question, but if my so-called date didn't care if I showed up or not, why would I bother showing up to an event with him and a group of his friends?

Also I don't understand the concern about pressure. What type of pressure?
Do you feel this way because the guy is not directly asking you out?

Do you feel this way because if he does not directly ask you our, it is not a date in your mind?

What is your reasoning behind your reply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships