Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 01:55 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,032,217 times

Advertisements

I recently watched The Wolf of Wall Street with my husband this past weekend after all the hullabaloo & we were talking after the film & I brought up the point that most men after they get a little clout, power, & cash tend to "dump" the women they started out with...like Jordan Belfort did when he dumped his first, "homely looking" albeit supportive wife for the sexy model he ended up cheating with...

This happens more likely than men who have "blue-collar" or "low-paying jobs", those men are more likely to stay married to their wives...
thoughts? why does this happen? This is a conversation...what about women with money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 02:09 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I recently watched The Wolf of Wall Street with my husband this past weekend after all the hullabaloo & we were talking after the film & I brought up the point that most men after they get a little clout, power, & cash tend to "dump" the women they started out with...like Jordan Belfort did when he dumped his first, "homely looking" albeit supportive wife for the sexy model he ended up cheating with...

This happens more likely than men who have "blue-collar" or "low-paying jobs", those men are more likely to stay married to their wives...
thoughts? why does this happen? This is a conversation...what about women with money?
I can't speak for women with money, but the reason that some men would do this is because their options suddenly opened up. Once a man is rich, he becomes attractive to a wider pool of women.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
I was going to say greater opportunity too. More attractive = more options.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:14 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
SOME men do ...

Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
I think some wealthy men are happy to be with the wives who supported them when they had less, that way they know their wives are with them for reasons other than money.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:18 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,053,237 times
oh brother .....

Old 03-11-2014, 02:19 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Plus some women are attracted to men with clout, power, title ,and money. He wont have to do much in some cases, they will come to him.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:22 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I can't speak for women with money, but the reason that some men would do this is because their options suddenly opened up. Once a man is rich, he becomes attractive to a wider pool of women.
Would guess this is spot-on. A bit frustrating that human relationship dynamics are not unlike business, though I guess that would follow, RE "options."

As my father used to say: Hate the game, not the player.

Case in point:

After careful study, and quite a bit of on-the-ground experience, most-assuredly this is the "romantic arbitrage" situation occurring between American or West European men and Russian/FSU single women, too. That is to say, the latter's marriage prospects are dismal because statistically, the men have little hope and absolutely do die before their time (alcohol abuse, other despair-related illness).

When their odds of a good, safe life for their children (current or future) are very low, FSU women leap much faster at the opportunity provided by a dopey-dude from the West. Oh yes. Whereas American women can "afford" to be quite a bit more blase about it all, or at least think they can.

If there is such thing as a "league"...argued on other threads, other sections of C-D...average-looking but quite-successful Western men can feel like kids in the candy store when around FSU women: waaaaay out of their league. I've dated two such women who were, frankly, somewhat "out of my league" at least in absolute terms of looks (a bit self-deprecatingly speaking). The economics of the situation were way-tilted in my favor, conversely.

Quod erat demonstrandum (QED).

Old 03-11-2014, 02:24 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,737,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Not necessarily. Just watch the Divorce Court and you'll see that not-so-rich folks cheat too. I think not everyone is 'wired' to be monogamous and I accept that. You just have to be smart enough not to fall for one.

On the flip side, rich men get cheated on by their young trophy wives too. Ask Rupert Murdoch, whose marriage to ex-wife Wendy Deng ended up in a divorce because she cheated on him repeatedly. I read somewhere that the straw that broke the camel's back was when he found out Wendy was cheating on him with Tony Blair (yes, the British former Prime Minister), whom he considered a very close friend.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:45 PM

106 posts, read 103,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I was going to say greater opportunity too. More attractive = more options.

i think this is generally true, but i would also say that sometimes life events just happens and it's time to move on. actually, i this the premise of the question is all wrong because you either want to stay with someone for as longs as you can, or you don't. and if it's just staying together for the benefit of convenience, well that only last so long...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships