Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 05:30 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times

Advertisements

Once you realize they are bad for you, you break up. If you continue, you are setting yourselves up for future misery and failure. The rational - and wise - thing is to end it ASAP. Of course, that can be very difficult. I've done it a few times, though, and in retrospect, it was the right thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:32 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Surely, you're not in love if you want to bail from the relationship. One is basically kicking the can until they find the courage to leave, and typically, the courage comes from finding another person first.
If you really love each other, you'll let each other go for their own good and future well being. Staying is a sign of selfishness and weakness, not love.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
If you really love each other, you'll let each other go for their own good and future well being. Staying is a sign of selfishness and weakness, not love.
If it's lasted a long time and there are kids involved, it can be impossible to extricate yourself.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:14 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I can honestly say I have never stayed with anyone in a relationship out of pity. That in and of itself is pathetic.
Ugh...yes. Please leave her.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:17 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
One of the biggest mistakes people make is to focus on attraction to the total exclusion of compatibility. To get along with someone over the long haul, you need to be a good match with them intellectually and temperamentally. I've never seen an "opposites attract" romance end well...
I agree with this 100%. Good looking girls are a dime a dozen. It's important to find one you are compatible with in other areas besides just thinking they look good if you want it over the long haul. Plus it's more fun that way.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:08 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
If you want the relationship to work, you concentrate on the positive aspects in that relationship. Once you realize the relationship is toxic for you, you force yourself to ONLY concentrate on the negative part in that relationship.

You might have fallen in love with a toxic person, but that love is not going to last long. Think about how miserable you'd be in the future if you keep the relationship going. It is not fair for neither one of you.

Distant yourself from that person, don't invest any more emotion. That is what I will do.

good luck.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:09 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
^^^^ This

Old 12-18-2013, 05:24 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
I think that's what happened with me and my long-ago ex. We always kinda knew we wouldn't be a good long-term couple, but we were exactly the relationship that both of us needed for a brief time. I ended it, but he understood my reasoning and we kept it perfectly amicable. Letting go was the rational thing to do, and neither of us wanted to drag out what we had until it became a negative rather than a positive.

I told him we needed to talk one day, and he looked over at me and got a sad look on his face. He said "you're not happy." We took it from there.

We loved each other very much, but he was really a "rules are made to be broken" kind of guy and I'm more of a "do what needs to be done" type. He felt constrained by my need to follow the rules, and I was always stressed by some of his choices which were often irresponsible, from my perspective. Like, he thought nothing of quitting a job he didn't like without anything lined up. We had no savings at that time, so him being out of work meant all kinds of potential disaster if he didn't get a new job right away.

We had two totally different outlooks.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:47 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
Once I realize that it would never work out given objective facts of reality. . . .

I spent the next few months getting her off harder, longer and better than any other guy she had been with.

Then I began to distance myself emotionally and physically from her.

She transitioned to the next guy, then the one after him and the new one after him.

And to this day she still calls and texts me and wants it more than the air she breathes.

And I take great satisfaction in knowing that denying her the level of sexual satisfaction and intensity that she used to have with me, causes her to still think about me at least once every ten minutes that she is awake everyday.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:38 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
If you love the person, like you stated, and have all those issues, then you let them go so they can find someone who can truly love them for all that they are. It's not fair to them nor you.

I dated and fell in love with my XH. I even ended it once and went back. I had doubts on our wedding day, but figured, "I love him" and went forth. I look back and I know for a fact, without a doubt, that I should have never gotten involved with him. Or even went back to him. I wasted 10 years of his life by being with him, when I shouldn't have been. I let him go so he can find someone who truly loves him for him. And I let him go, so I could find someone I could love unconditionally.

Be kind, rewind (bad MIB joke).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships