Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:57 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

"A particularly beautiful woman is a source of terror. As a rule, a beautiful woman is a terrible disappointment."
(Carl Jung)

Do you agree with this thought? I would not regard it if it had been said by anyone else. But I happen to have a lot of respect for Carl Jung the psychologist.

My experience has been that a beautiful woman is like a curse. The fact that she is so beautiful means that there might be some difficulty in developing a relationship. It's kind of sad and depressing though. Almost hopeless in my case at times. As if I should settle for someone who is more average/acceptable in appearance, but who is easier to get along with and speak with.

What do you think? (Perhaps even women could respond from the opposite side.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 09:02 PM

619 posts, read 651,612 times
Beauty is subjective...so maybe any woman that thinks she's beautiful can be a terror, however, wouldn't that simply mean that confident women can be a source of terror?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:05 PM

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Maybe I didn't say it right. There are some very beautiful women who I can get along with as far as personality. But the most beautiful one who also might be available, she is difficult personality-wise. We are probably too similar.

What are your thoughts about this? How do you get "over" someone who you are attracted to, but have difficulty communicating with?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-19-2014 at 09:22 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna1343 View Post
Beauty is subjective...so maybe any woman that thinks she's beautiful can be a terror, however, wouldn't that simply mean that confident women can be a source of terror?
It's in the eye of the beholder. I think Jung was saying that the woman who a man is MOST uniquely attracted to, might not have the best personality match. This seems to have some truth to it.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:08 PM

338 posts, read 556,214 times
I love beautiful women I can tell ya that much

Old 12-18-2014, 09:11 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Jung did say that beautiful bodies and beautiful personalities rarely go together.

But the thing that doesn't get reported with this quote is that in the same interview, he said the same also can be said for men.

Luckily he believed that the most important element for a successful marriage is tension.

I did have a guy tell me once that I put the fear of God in him. That was his actual line to transition our relationship from professional to personal.

But I think Jenna's onto something in that it's people who THINK they're beautiful that are the real problem.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The thing that doesn't get reported with this quote is that in the same interview, he said that beautiful bodies and beautiful personalities rarely go together.

But then he said the same also can be said for men.

Luckily he believed that the most important element for a successful marriage is tension.
"Tension". Yes, I love that! I think that is true. You can't just make jokes all day with someone until you are sick of each other. That would get old as well. So you have to have some common elements with each other.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:18 PM

619 posts, read 651,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's in the eye of the beholder. I think Jung was saying that the woman who a man is MOST uniquely attracted to, might not have the best personality match. This seems to have some truth to it.
While I lack a penis to be an expert on this...the only women I've known to have trouble getting along with people were really ugly people. I'm not talking about their ugly personality coloring my perception of their looks, they were wholly unattractive women. Only about six women like this come to mind, but they were dramatic, gossipy liars who would stab you in the back the second you trusted them.

I can't say if my ideal of physical beauty would be what men like....Scarlett Johansson, Catherine Zeta-Jones (like 15 years ago), Jennifer Lawrence....and I know women who are on par with them and they're really great women.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:40 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Jung did say that beautiful bodies and beautiful personalities rarely go together.

But the thing that doesn't get reported with this quote is that in the same interview, he said the same also can be said for men.

I did have a guy tell me once that I put the fear of God in him. That was his actual line to transition our relationship from professional to personal.

But I think Jenna's onto something in that it's people who THINK they're beautiful that are the real problem.
I'm not sure why you say, "luckily". A marriage with tension sounds like a recipe for drama. It sounds to me like Jung was out to lunch on relationships. His beliefs are too much of a blanket, simplistic nature.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:51 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna1343 View Post
Beauty is not subjective. It is very objective.

OP, I think objectively beautiful women (I'm talking 9s and 10s) are fine for short-term flings, but they can make you crazy long-term.

I'd suggest settling down with a cute, sweet girl that cares about you and that will look good on your arm, but isn't so hot that she's getting hit on every 5 seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships