Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 01:11 AM

4 posts, read 2,721 times

Advertisements

Ive been reading a lot about relationships and one thing i learned is that if a guy is too available to a girl, she loses interest in him. I've been with a girl for about a year now and we have grown very close. Shes 20 and Im 22. Since we are both away at different schools, we text, snapchat, and talk on the phone a lot. Its not unusual for us to talk for several hours and then even have another conversation later in the day too. When she calls me, I always pick up even if im doing something. And if she hits me up with a text or something I always write back. Lately, sometimes i feel like when we talk, she isnt as excited about it. I dont call her or text her nearly as much as she does to me (maybe 1/3rd of the time) so i figured that would be enough of a challenge to make her not lose feelings for me but I also know that always being there will lead to her getting bored of me. A few times I had no signal and she couldnt reach me. When she finally did she was almost frantic and so happy that i was finally able to talk. So i know that being unavailable definitely can be a good thing.

She has told me how much she appreciates it that when she calls me, I always answer even if im busy just to say " i cant talk right now but i'll call later" So if I all of a sudden just disappear and stop answering calls, she will think its very strange and be insulted. i dont like to play games but I feel like she will actually like things better if she cant always reach me.

I would really like to hear peoples opinions on what to do. Should I pull back a little on the responses and ust ignore sometimes? Should I just keep always being available because that's true to who I am and if she loses interest, its a problem with HER? Just trying to figure out the best choice. Thank you guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 01:27 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexbmx View Post
Ive been reading a lot about relationships and one thing i learned is that if a guy is too available to a girl, she loses interest in him. I've been with a girl for about a year now and we have grown very close. Shes 20 and Im 22. Since we are both away at different schools, we text, snapchat, and talk on the phone a lot. Its not unusual for us to talk for several hours and then even have another conversation later in the day too. When she calls me, I always pick up even if im doing something. And if she hits me up with a text or something I always write back. Lately, sometimes i feel like when we talk, she isnt as excited about it. I dont call her or text her nearly as much as she does to me (maybe 1/3rd of the time) so i figured that would be enough of a challenge to make her not lose feelings for me but I also know that always being there will lead to her getting bored of me. A few times I had no signal and she couldnt reach me. When she finally did she was almost frantic and so happy that i was finally able to talk. So i know that being unavailable definitely can be a good thing.

She has told me how much she appreciates it that when she calls me, I always answer even if im busy just to say " i cant talk right now but i'll call later" So if I all of a sudden just disappear and stop answering calls, she will think its very strange and be insulted. i dont like to play games but I feel like she will actually like things better if she cant always reach me.

I would really like to hear peoples opinions on what to do. Should I pull back a little on the responses and ust ignore sometimes? Should I just keep always being available because that's true to who I am and if she loses interest, its a problem with HER? Just trying to figure out the best choice. Thank you guys

Do whatever you want to do and whatever works for you. Stop reading stupid articles about relationships, most articles are written by psycho feminists and douche bags.

If something is working, don't change it.

If you buy into this stuff too much and try to play these games because of some dumb article you're going to ruin things and get cheated on.

Being too available are guys that are downright pansies and try too hard to seek the girl's approval.

Why is it so hard for people to think for themselves? Do you seriously need a user manual to life?

Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,846,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Why is it so hard for people to think for themselves? Do you seriously need a user manual to life?
Chillll burglar! He's just asking for some advice.

Alex - I wish I knew the answer to your question. In the past I would say that it would be her problem if she lost interest in you because you were available. But now, who knows. Seems like relationships have become a giant game of keep-away.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Chillll burglar! He's just asking for some advice.

Alex - I wish I knew the answer to your question. In the past I would say that it would be her problem if she lost interest in you because you were available. But now, who knows. Seems like relationships have become a giant game of keep-away.
You quoted only my last sentence and left out my advice.

He's asking for advice on a relationship that's going well based on a stupid article he read online .. lol

Old 02-09-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You quoted only my last sentence and left out my advice.
I quoted your last sentence because it was rude. That's why I told you to chill.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
I quoted your last sentence because it was rude. That's why I told you to chill.
If she's gonna cheat on him, it's going to happen regardless of what he does. He's got a much better chance of ruining things if he tries listening to some article than he does by going with what is working.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:45 AM

184 posts, read 168,578 times
OP, the only thing that I've found to work best with women (well, western women) is not caring. Being unavailable is a demonstration of not caring.

IMO, trying to look like you don't care may backfire. You have to genuinely not care.

Basically, have the mindset that if she leaves your life right now, it doesn't matter. Don't be afraid to lose the girl and everything will work itself out. You will naturally do the right things.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:50 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,031 times
Don't do or not do anything out of insecurity. Long-distance relationships can be hard because they're a good breeding ground for insecurity.

Every relationship hits a point where you're not as "excited". It's just a new phase, one which can lead to depth in connection & commitment if handled well.

You can balance security & excitement. The excitement is not in ignoring her, but in variation & unpredictability. This can be done without playing games & faking anything.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datxcali View Post
OP, the only thing that I've found to work best with women (well, western women) is not caring. Being unavailable is a demonstration of not caring.

IMO, trying to look like you don't care may backfire. You have to genuinely not care.

Basically, have the mindset that if she leaves your life right now, it doesn't matter. Don't be afraid to lose the girl and everything will work itself out. You will naturally do the right things.
But if you genuinely don't care, what's the point of being in the relationship? For entertainment and amusement purposes? What's the ulterior agenda?

Old 02-09-2014, 02:26 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,031 times
Quote:
But if you genuinely don't care, what's the point of being in the relationship? For entertainment and amusement purposes? What's the ulterior agenda?
I agree. Not caring is silly.

IMO, the idea is to not act out of insecurity. That doesn't mean you don't care about the other person; on the contrary, it means you act out of a healthy valuing of them, not a fear. You can care AND be secure. Needing to not care to feel secure is just masking a bigger insecurity, and it's going to bite you in the butt eventually also, in the unexpected way of not being able to love & cultivate intimacy & trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships