Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:42 PM

15 posts, read 15,781 times

Advertisements

like it is possible that you can have a guy with

- above average looks
- outgoing personality
- confidence
- skills in terms of talking to women
- decent salary career (six figures)

Who does well with women in one city/town but completely falls flat on his face in another? A friend of mines moved from North Carolina where he did horrendous with women to Washington where he is doing well for himself. He is also racially ambiguous looking so that might have had to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 07:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Anything is possible!

And some cities just seem to offer better environments for those looking to date.

In regards to the importance of "location" in relationships with others, just remember, everywhere you go - there you are.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:27 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,850,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenwayHu View Post
like it is possible that you can have a guy with

- above average looks
- outgoing personality
- confidence
- skills in terms of talking to women

Who does well with women in one city/town but completely falls flat on his face in another? A friend of mines moved from North Carolina where he did horrendous with women to Washington where he is doing well for himself. He is also racially ambiguous looking so that might have had to do with it.
If race or language or culture is involved then it is a major possibility.

Otherwise, I would say not likely.

I think if you took a good looking, successful white guy from Mississippi, and plopped him in New York City, he'd do fine.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,805,785 times
I know you asked about men finding women... but I found it to be true when it came to me finding a man. Where I live now is mostly married couples and other single women. Single men seem few and far between and most are very young. I kind of just blend in (and a few times I've had married men who interest in me--but I don't go for that).

But if I leave my area and go someplace where the numbers are more even (or there are more single men than women) I feel like I am suddenly more attractive to men as they seem to flirt with me more and such. In fact, the man I am dating now is someone from one of those areas. He's is outgoing, with a good personality and sense of humor, and he really knows how to treat a woman in such a way that she feels special to him. I have no idea how much money he makes. He lives frugally (like I do) but never seems to want for cash. He owns his own business--so there is no way of knowing. He's told me that his shop does well and finally started turning a profit after just a couple of years (which is really good for a small business). That's all I know. He's been a friend of mine for years before we started dating. We were just never both single at the same time. I went to his town on a business trip, asked him if he would meet me so we could catch up on old times, turned out we were both single and it went from there.

My long winded point being, I had to leave my home area to meet someone

Old 12-05-2013, 11:05 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Which Washington, OP? DC or State?

Old 12-05-2013, 11:50 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenwayHu View Post
Wow. Is double the median of entire households what it takes to be considered "decent" for one person? That seems a bit distorted.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:42 AM

15 posts, read 15,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Which Washington, OP? DC or State?
washington state

Old 12-06-2013, 03:37 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,045 times
I've said it before. I've seen lame dudes from NYC who get nothing, go to other parts of the country and feast strictly off being from New York.

One of my boys who was a cornball went to arizona for school and is winning over there right now

Old 12-06-2013, 07:28 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,796,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I've said it before. I've seen lame dudes from NYC who get nothing, go to other parts of the country and feast strictly off being from New York.

One of my boys who was a cornball went to arizona for school and is winning over there right now
This. Women love new blood. If you're from ANYWHERE else, you already have one leg up on the local guys. It is RIDICULOUS the additional attention I've received by bringing up where I moved from in casual conversation.

"Oh, you're from xyz?" And suddenly the eyebrows raise...

Edit: Things that make it obvious you're from elsewhere help the most. Accent, clothing style, mannerisms, etc.

Quick example: Watch the difference in the woman's reaction when a guy from the south refers to her as "darling" vs. when any other guy does it.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:35 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Wow. Is double the median of entire households what it takes to be considered "decent" for one person? That seems a bit distorted.
That's what I as thinking as well. I think it many households, hitting six figures would be two combined incomes, not one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships