Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 06:46 PM

220 posts, read 174,723 times

Advertisements

On average how long does it take to get over someone that you loved (still love in my case)?

It's been one month since the love of my life dumped me and I need to know that there is some end in sight. It's been a rough month to say the least and I don't know how better this will get.

My ex lives less than a mile from me and we have a lot of mutual friends so I get reminders of her everywhere .

I've tried talking to other girls and my heart just aches and all I can think about is her. I've even made the stupid mistake of hooking up with another girl and halfway through I literally started crying (yeah lame I know I've just been through a lot, in addition to losing her).

So how do I do this? I know your supposed to just "move on" but it's not that simple and if I could stop the pain than of course I would.

Last edited by Lostandhurt; 09-26-2015 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 06:50 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Different for everyone, no set in stone time frame.

PS ~~ It is "Lose" not "Loose", these are completely different words with completely different meanings.

------------->> cut and pasted from your original post "in addition to loosing her"

Old 09-26-2015, 07:03 PM

Uggh I'm going through the motions but it's just killing me. I'm reconnecting with friends, trying to go out, keeping myself busy....etc.

I've suffered from depression before but this is just awful.

And yet there's not an hour of the day where I don't think about her.

I met with her today to get my shirts that were at my house. She was actually really friendly and asked a lot about me and how I was doing, with the same spark in her eye that she had when we first met. We had a long hug before I left. I can tell she misses me but I'm sure has some reason why she wants to be single now.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:36 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,146,302 times
I was pretty salty for a year.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:45 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
Each broken heart breaks in a different way....and the time it takes to heal is different.

The best thing you can do is keep yourself busy and active with people. Friends, clubs, sports, work (if you like your coworkers...lol). If you hide in yourself it will only take longer to get over it.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:06 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,153,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I was pretty salty for a year.
Yeah, it hurt for a solid year when I lost my first love. We were together over 2 years. She's still with the guy that she dumped me for. I rarely give her a second thought anymore but she does pop up in my FB feed now and then due to our mutual friends and I admit that it still stings, albeit a teeny tiny bit. Even 25 years later, I have no desire to be friends or even speak to her, mainly due to the fact that my life is awesome and it wouldn't have been had we stayed together. Everyone is different though. Nothing helped but time. I feel for ya OP.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:18 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,762,357 times
It takes months or a couple of years depending on the individual. Time does make the difference, though, because you get involved with other things and priorities. I still think about an ex of mine from time to time, but the realization sunk in that it wouldn't work and we all move on. How many friends do we keep all our lives? Some come and go. Eventually your pain will dissipate, even though you don't believe that right now. We've all been through it, and survived it, so hang in there.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostandhurt View Post
I met with her today to get my shirts that were at my house. She was actually really friendly and asked a lot about me and how I was doing, with the same spark in her eye that she had when we first met. We had a long hug before I left. I can tell she misses me but I'm sure has some reason why she wants to be single now.

Stuff like that definitely won't help.

It takes time. It can take a long time. You have to keep moving forward, not backward. After all, you really don't want to be with someone who doesn't fully want you.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:33 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,579,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostandhurt View Post
On average how long does it take to get over someone that you loved (still love in my case)?

It's been one month since the love of my life dumped me and I need to know that there is some end in sight. It's been a rough month to say the least and I don't know how better this will get.

My ex lives less than a mile from me and we have a lot of mutual friends so I get reminders of her everywhere .

I've tried talking to other girls and my heart just aches and all I can think about is her. I've even made the stupid mistake of hooking up with another girl and halfway through I literally started crying (yeah lame I know I've just been through a lot, in addition to losing her).

So how do I do this? I know your supposed to just "move on" but it's not that simple and if I could stop the pain than of course I would.
Why did she break up with you?

Old 09-26-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Why did she break up with you?
That's the golden question. She said she still loved me when she broke it off; and I believe her because she was crying as much as me. She said that she needed time to figure out her life and wasn't sure if I would be the one for her to marry. She didn't cheat or anything like that but wanted to begin her adult life as a single person and figure out what she likes to do (we were together 2+ years in college, she worked hard as hell and only ever did stuff with me so lost her own sense of self/hobbies or whatever).

The main reason I think she cut it off is kind of unfair to me but **** happens. Seven months ago I got hit by a car and suffered a bad concussion and gouged my hand almost clean through. I have nerve damage and probably won't ever feel that palm again. This cascaded a lot of **** and it took me a solid 6 months to recover. During that time I just needed to be with her and that's why I spent too much time with her. This has truely been the hardest time of my life.

I think that along with that stuff I loved her too much. I wasn't clingy but I probably spent too much time with her which could have been the problem. In the end I'll never really know why; at least she didn't cheat though. To think I was planning on marrying this girl someday If she does take time and decide she wants me back than I will in a heartbeat. I'm not getting my hopes up for this one though.

I know that seeing her wasn't helping, it was like a second punch. It needed to be done though, we both still had a lot of each others things. We just have a lot of mutual friends which complicates things.

I'm hanging in here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships