Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:49 PM

596 posts, read 627,401 times

Advertisements

"When someone flirts with you out of genuine interest, it’s just enough for you to notice it, but also faint enough for you to suspect that it’s your imagination. When it’s unmistakably clear to you and everyone in the room that someone is flirting with you, they are probably after something else."

What do you think? Accurate or false...or somewhere in the middle. Here's the article below.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/ted-pillow...ss-they-arent/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 08:57 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
I think anytime you try to buy into a generalized formula for this sort of thing, you're in trouble. The idea in the quote is that anyone genuinely interested would also be too shy to be obvious about it. And the people who are obvious about it and leave no room for doubt are trying to manipulate you for other reasons. While there's some truth to that, human nature is varied enough that you can't make a sweeping generalization like that. Some people have enough confidence that shyness wouldn't play into it.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-03-2014 at 09:15 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 09:12 PM

596 posts, read 627,401 times
See, I thought of it as saying things aren't so literal and that just because someone flirts with you in grand gestures, it doesn't necessarily require an ultimate analysis that the person likes you. Where as small gestures--not necessarily out of shyness, but rather the fact that not all the factors needed to show if a potential relationship is worth pursuing are present-- can be a symbol of a more genuine, yet innocent attraction.

Either way, apparently this is a type of "relationship" formula I have never heard of before, but I thought it struck on some chords of reality.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:30 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMorena View Post
"When someone flirts with you out of genuine interest, it’s just enough for you to notice it, but also faint enough for you to suspect that it’s your imagination. When it’s unmistakably clear to you and everyone in the room that someone is flirting with you, they are probably after something else."

What do you think?

The first example is my choice of the kind of flirting I am comfortable with. The second example I would typically ignore. I wouldn't think with the second example that the person doing the flirting is after something else ... I just prefer personal flirting that doesn't involve the whole room!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:10 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
I didn't read that whole article, but a wise friend of mine once told me that people who have deep feelings will be protective of them, and therefore, be subtle. This subtleness is often mistaken for them not having any feelings at all. The thing is, they need to train themselves to express their feelings because people aren't mind-readers.

It's no coincidence that sociopaths are very expressive even though they don't mean it one bit.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:15 AM

458 posts, read 644,713 times
Flirting is not only in words, but it's also in body language.
The gaze in your eyes, the vocal cords in your voice, your smile, your nervousness, the way you fumble around with objects are all tell-tale signs of interest.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:16 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
Not true.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:27 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,343,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
Flirting is not only in words, but it's also in body language.
The gaze in your eyes, the vocal cords in your voice, your smile, your nervousness, the way you fumble around with objects are all tell-tale signs of interest.
Woohooo!!!! YES!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Not true.

Oh, okay.

Moving on.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:12 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
That's just a blog post. It's just some guys journal ramblings. Do you believe it? Does it matter??

There are too many personalities in the world to map "flirting" on a Bell curve.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:35 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,317 times
If you're not sure, always assume they are flirting. The embarrassment of pursuing someone who really isn't flirting with you is not nearly as bad as the the regret of not pursuing someone who you even suspect may be interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships