Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The approximate minimum you expect a potential husband to make mid career
150K yearly 33 23.91%
100K yearly 22 15.94%
75K yearly 29 21.01%
50K yearly 29 21.01%
$15/hr 6 4.35%
None 19 13.77%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:42 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times

Advertisements

All you ladies need to hush up and let the menfolk tell us what we think and feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 09:46 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
All you ladies need to hush up and let the menfolk tell us what we think and feel.
I am going to take a shot at this and say that you are angry.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:51 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
My BF has been mainly living off the retirement he pulled early while he worked on getting his business/school up and running. That venture didn't end up working out long term. Currently, he doesn't make very much <20k, but it's not an issue.

The last serious relationship I was in, my partner made 95k gross, but his take home was considerably less given his ex received about $3000 a month in support payments. My ex-husband, within his career field at the level he's at, the pay ranges from 70-100k (higher if overseas), but then child support would run anywhere from $2200-2700 a month. I can see how many women would be perturbed by that.
Why's that? (the underlined)

Old 03-14-2014, 09:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
I'm a teacher, so I don't put a whole lot of emphasis on high salary, obviously, and I'm not a golddigger. I prioritize enjoying what I do and making a liveable wage (for me) doing it, and am generally attracted to me who are similar. I'm pretty low maintenance, and somehow ended up in a long-term relationship at one point with someone who was pretty obsessed with money/status. We didn't understand one another at all, in that regard, so lesson learned from that point on that I would only entertain the idea of serious relationships with guys who aren't obsessed with making bank and impressing other people with how much they make and wrapping a lot of their self worth around it. I would assume someone in middle age would be able to support himself to his own standard of living and has a plan for long-term savings in place, but other than that, I'm not too worried about it.

In the case of my husband, we knew that I'd be putting my own career on hold due to military moves if we married, so it was critical that his salary be sufficient for our household with or without my contributions. Given his paygrade, it's totally doable. It's never a given that a military spouse can find decent work at a given duty station, and knowing that my contributions when we PCS would likely be smaller than my previous salary, since job options for military spouses on short term orders generally are...interesting. I wouldn't have quit my job to move to a new duty station had it not been financially feasible for me to do so.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,152,061 times
So its SEEMS that a lot(not all) of women as long as the man is self sufficient that they don't care about salary.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:14 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
I'm just curious.

How much $ do you expect a man you will consider marrying to make? The basic minimum you expect him to make. Let's say mid 30s to early 40s in age, so he should have his career established by then. Let's say the median income geographically, so if you live in San Fransisco, chop a little off, if you live in Florida, move it a little up, etc, etc.

I'm not really interested in hearing why, I know the why. Numbers. Please just answer the poll.
I expect him to make enough to support himself because I am not currently in a position to support both of us. If I were making a tidy sum, I wouldn't give a rat's behind what he made, as long as he wasn't sitting around feeling entitled and trying to take advantage of my generosity. But I simply cannot afford to float two people on my current income.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:28 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
So its SEEMS that a lot(not all) of women as long as the man is self sufficient that they don't care about salary.

Apparently you're not aware of the trend of women marrying down in financial status. I certainly did, and was the primary breadwinner by far in my marriage. Too bad he felt that entitled him to life as a perpetual student.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
While that is true, if you have lived in a high income area, you know that there are many people who make normal wages there. There are many people who make $15/hr in San Francisco and live. But that is a another argument.

But anyway, just adjust down. I think most people are aware of what dollar figures equate to certain styles of living as an average in the US.

??? How does that work? In my experience, unless there are tons of apartments in the area (big cities), people who earn $15/hr cannot afford to live in high-income areas UNLESS they do not have an ongoing shelter (housing) payment. There are people like this everywhere - e.g. inherited a house without a mortgage, or adults who live with parents - but nowhere are there "many people" in that position..

Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
Enough to support himself so that he isn't drowning in debt or expects me to constantly loan him money.

I don't want to have kids and I have my own money and my own job so money is not as big of a concern for me. I care more about penis size.
Well a girl's got to have her priorities straight

Old 03-14-2014, 10:32 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Maybe it "seems" that way because it IS that way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships