Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:51 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
In my experience, the men who end up with women with horrible personalities are usually those who value looks above any other consideration. As long as she's "hot," some guys will put up with almost anything.
Why is that?

No amount of hotness in any woman can overcome the fact that she's a bitchy shrew. So why do men put up with this? What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 07:51 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,087 times
Who dreams this stuff up!!!!

Old 03-22-2014, 07:53 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Why is that?

No amount of hotness in any woman can overcome the fact that she's a bitchy shrew. So why do men put up with this? What am I missing?
For the same reason women lust after good looking jerks.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:59 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
For the same reason women lust after good looking jerks.
lol. Point taken.

FOr many women who date these guys, however, there is a savior complex involved. They have some (?cultural-taught) delusion that they can change these men.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the same is true, vice versa.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:00 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Men do not like naggy witchy women, nobody does. I have a few on my job and they are very unpopular to say the least. You almost scared to say good morning to them for fear of getting a piece bitten out you.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:03 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
This is sort of a reverse take on the oft-discussed premise that "Women like jerks, not nice guys".

Do you think there is any truth here?

Men seem to complain about women in relationships being bossy & emasculating. They may wonder where all the kind, sweet-natured women are. They blame feminism. They say nowadays, women try to act like men (whatever that means).

But are they choosing these naggy/witchy types of women?
Are they subconsciously drawn to them, initially at least?

Meanwhile, more patient, sweet women are not grabbing their attention & are being overlooked in favor of the more aggressive, confident woman who perhaps boosts their egos while dating, but then harps on them when in a relationship. Or something else?

Of course, in the original premise, we discover Nice Guys aren't so nice. We learn there is a false dichotomy.
So what could be going on with the "Sweet Woman" vs. "Witchy Woman" in terms of what men say they want & who they actually date/marry?

Spoiler
Disclaimer: I'm not stating this as a truth, nor is this necessarily my belief/stance. Just an idea to discuss.
Well, I don't really agree with the premise - just like I don't really agree with the jerk/nice guy premise. First of all, different people are attracted to different things. There are plenty of sweet women in relationships. As for the witchy, naggy women - here are my thoughts.
1. Some men will overlook anything for a hot woman.
2. Some men turn women into nags because they don't do anything and then complain when their wife gets onto them for not doing anything - instead of actually doing something.
3. Some women hide their witchy, naggy ways until they've gotten far enough into the relationship to unleash their true personalities.
4. Some men act like their wives are naggy even when they aren't just to get out of doing things that they don't want to do with their friends.
and the list goes on and on and on and on…

Oh - and just with the whole "nice guy" thing - being a nice person is the bare minimum. You can be nice and sweet - but if that's all you are - many guys may want something more out of a relationship.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:05 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Because they think they can't do better. And something is better than nothing.

(b-chy women arent always hot)

Old 03-22-2014, 08:24 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Why is that?

They've bought into a narrative that says looks are all-important.

But most importantly, many men do not perceive themselves as having any choice in the matter. They don't understand that placing such a high value on looks is, in fact, a learned behavior. In their minds, they have no control over their so-called "preferences," and cannot help who they are attracted to, so they think they just have to put up with it.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,650 times
I think men (and women) are attracted to the "Witchy" ones at some point (and women the jerks) because there is something exciting about having an up and down romance. There's something passionate about dating someone who really sets you off sometimes.

HOWEVER, that is not a long term thing, and that is not something most people desire out of a life partner. It's best to get out of your system while young (summer flings, first loves, etc).

My boyfriend is not a jerk, completely respects me, and has never really raised his voice. I plan on marrying this man.

When I was younger, I thought I'd marry a guy like my ex because our "connection" was so passionate. Now I'm just learning that it was "passionate" because the emotions were so high and so low. It's exhausting after a few years.

So, I think attraction works a certain way, but as people mature and think about what they actually want in a life partner, they end up wanting to marry the nice guys/gals

Old 03-22-2014, 08:38 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
I like a well balanced woman. My wife is a fine example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships