Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:58 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,268,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Just curious, do you have any actual real-world dating experience, or are you holding yourself back based on what you read about what women want in some guy's blog?
Holding myself back because of what I hear, I don't have much dating experience though unfortunately
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 12:25 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
Its really hard to find an attractive woman without a college degree, like a woman that is 24 or older, the reason why I am hoping to find one without a degree it's because I assume most women with a college degree prefer to date men that have a college degree, and I lack a degree
I am about one term shy of my AA. My first husband doesn't hold a degree (he has quite a few credits from military training and schooling), but is a brilliant guy, intellectually/academically and creatively. My current husband was a mechanical engineering major at a UC system school before dropping out and choosing a different path. He, too, is quite gifted and talented, and has an AA in Liberal Arts.

Now, I have met a variety of people who do not hold advanced degrees, and they are bright and talented individuals. Aside from a few men I have been involved with, the majority had a formal, advanced, education, some with graduate and professional degrees. My deal-breaker criteria was that I must have an intellectual/mental connection with my partner. It's pretty paramount. They needn't necessarily have a graduate degree, but we need to be on the same level, and the majority who fell in this category either possessed a formal education or were extremely intellectually curious and gravitated toward autodidactism (in much the same way I do).

I have always preferred to date men who are not only visibly educated, whether formally or autodidactically, but intellectually curious and open-minded. Simply possessing a degree doesn't mean one is truly educated, and it didn't tell me anything about their intellectual curiosity and open-mindedness. So education alone was not the determining factor for me.

I came across so many poorly written profiles of degree holders when I did online dating. I was often left dismayed and befuddled, wondering how in the world they managed to graduate when basic, rudimentary, knowledge and thinking skills were not visibly present.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I am about one term shy of my AA. My first husband doesn't hold a degree (he has quite a few credits from military training and schooling), but is a brilliant guy, intellectually/academically and creatively. My current husband was a mechanical engineering major at a UC system school before dropping out and choosing a different path. He, too, is quite gifted and talented, and has an AA in Liberal Arts.

Now, I have met a variety of people who do not hold advanced degrees, and they are bright and talented individuals. Aside from a few men I have been involved with, the majority had a formal, advanced, education, some with graduate and professional degrees. My deal-breaker criteria was that I must have an intellectual/mental connection with my partner. It's pretty paramount. They needn't necessarily have a graduate degree, but we need to be on the same level, and the majority who fell in this category either possessed a formal education or were extremely intellectually curious and gravitated toward autodidactism (in much the same way I do).

I have always preferred to date men who are not only visibly educated, whether formally or autodidactically, but intellectually curious and open-minded. Simply possessing a degree doesn't mean one is truly educated, and it didn't tell me anything about their intellectual curiosity and open-mindedness. So education alone was not the determining factor for me.

I came across so many poorly written profiles of degree holders when I did online dating. I was often left dismayed and befuddled, wondering how in the world they managed to graduate when basic, rudimentary, knowledge and thinking skills were not visibly present.
ya because i'm guessing when it comes to people refusing to date someone that has a lower education level than they do, it's usually women refusing to date men that have not reached the same level of education they have

Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Holding myself back because of what I hear, I don't have much dating experience though unfortunately
So why aren't you out there meeting women and finding out what they're actually like, rather than making a bunch of assumptions that aren't getting you anywhere?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:49 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Just graduated with my masters and dating someone with high school education.

He's smarter in some aspects than I am.

Intelligence and degrees are not mutually exclusive.

Know plenty of PhD's that can't hold normal conversation about anything besides their field of study to save their lives.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Just graduated with my masters and dating someone with high school education.

He's smarter in some aspects than I am.

Intelligence and degrees are not mutually exclusive.

Know plenty of PhD's that can't hold normal conversation about anything besides their field of study to save their lives.
does he make less money than you?

Old 07-09-2014, 05:31 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
does he make less money than you?
Substantially.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:12 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Yet another person cowering in fear of actually living his life, and choosing to be paralyzed by other people's choices that have no bearing on his life.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Larry Ellison, Micheal Dell, non of them have degrees. You don't think that there are attractive women out there who wouldn't have dated or married them? Get real. A woman saying she wants a man with a degree has nothing to do with wanting an "educated man", Its just another way for women to chase $$$.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:26 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
In general, yes, women will prefer men with a college degree. Its not just the degree, but its also the "good corporate job" image that they believe comes with it. If twins had identical incomes, but one had a degree and worked in a corporate job, and the other was a plumber, the guy with the clean job would be more attractive to most women.
Lol, the plumber probably makes more money than the "corporate" guy and the plumbers job is not going to get outsourced to some guy in India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships