Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 04:13 PM

56 posts, read 90,649 times

Advertisements

Haha, it is funny but it isn't at the same time! Just to clarify, I'm not looking to date this guy. I really, really enjoy his company but I've never had a sexual interest in him. I'm just curious to find out if my gaydar is actually completely wrong or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 04:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmcandrew View Post
Haha, it is funny but it isn't at the same time! Just to clarify, I'm not looking to date this guy. I really, really enjoy his company but I've never had a sexual interest in him. I'm just curious to find out if my gaydar is actually completely wrong or not.
The only person that knows for sure is him - and he might not even know. Some people are raised in such a way that they can't even admit to themselves that they are gay.

My gaydar is pretty good but there have been some straight guys that I would have sworn were gay - and to this day, they are still straight. Some guys are just more effeminate - just like some really "butch" (for lack of a better term) women are straight.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:46 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Unfortunately the collateral damage is often the children they have with women who don't know these guys are not straight.
Yes, well the women are damaged by it too and pretty badly. Imagine the shock of your spouse of 23 years just up and leaving one day to go be with men. It's hard to trust anyone or anything after that one.

There was almost nothing that tipped me off either as I don't think he was actually going out on me, except a couple of times toward the end. Sex was quite regular--every other night, so that was not a clue. He said he married me b/c he wanted a family but after he came out he was done with us--paid child support but made only token efforts to see his daughters.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:13 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes, well the women are damaged by it too and pretty badly. Imagine the shock of your spouse of 23 years just up and leaving one day to go be with men. It's hard to trust anyone or anything after that one.

There was almost nothing that tipped me off either as I don't think he was actually going out on me, except a couple of times toward the end. Sex was quite regular--every other night, so that was not a clue. He said he married me b/c he wanted a family but after he came out he was done with us--paid child support but made only token efforts to see his daughters.
"child support but made only token efforts to see his daughters"
Thats the sad part.

He must have been a really horny guy or had a great imagination to achieve a full erection with a woman if he was primarely interested in men. some of the other women here who have been in the same position said their guys were not always able to get there, even when the men were in their early 20s with raging hormones.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 PM

239 posts, read 596,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Straight guys don't sit around and talk about shlong.

Period.
Oh yes they do. A lot of straight guys boast about how big they are.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmcandrew View Post
If you think him making out with you or stroking your hair means he's not gay, your gaydar is faulty.

I've made out with quite a few gay guys. Good friends of mine. In dance clubs and the like.

Kissing is fun.

Does not make those beautiful boys straight.

My rule: if a dude seems gay? He is. No matter how much he makes out with you.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Who hasnt??!!!

I mean, um... nevermind.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:57 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Listen to the women here who have had this issue, as it is really quite common.

I'm sure many of these men really are struggling with their identity and may not come to terms with it for years if ever. Is it their fault or the fault of society? Apparently, even in our non-judgemental new open society, men and I'm sure a few women want to have a conventional male/female relationship especially with respect to children and family. If he has a male love interest on the side, all the better. He has his wife and children to take care of the family need and he has the lover on the side to take care of his sexual needs. He has it all!

Unfortunately the collateral damage is often the children they have with women who don't know these guys are not straight.
My daughter still doesn't know--she's too young to understand. She thinks her dad is just good friends with another man. But she's getting older and asking questions. She's also just learning about what gay is. She saw them kissing once and got very, very upset--was crying to me in confusion. I told her that I wasn't there and that she'd need to talk to her dad about it (I did give him a heads up though about what she saw and being upset so he could think of a good way to talk to her). I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to come across as attacking or judging her dad and I just didn't trust myself to explain it in a neutral way. After all, he's still her dad and I firmly believe it's harmful to children when their parents, even if divorced, attack or say "bad things" about each other. He said he talked to her about it and things seem okay for now. Although she's starting to ask me why he and I can't be married again--which again, I can't really explain. Someday she will understand though.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
A few days later, things had calmed down. I came over after work and he was asleep. I lit candles, put on some super romantic music (anyone remember Roberta Flack and Peabo Bryson?)
...the closer I get to you. The more you make me see (how gay you are).

Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Meh.

You know I can't muster up an opinion about this, one way or another.

I like a guy right now who wears a bunch of crystals around his neck and shaves his head but I don't think he's gay.

Or maybe he is.

Maybe he's just happy. I don't care either way as long as he puts out in an acceptable manner and is a nice guy too.

It's just a label really.

ps when i was much, much younger i had a bf who I personally was convinced was gay. He was into ballet and running and dancing and dressed and talked and posed like a ....anyway he wasn't gay, maybe transexual? but not gay. He liked vaginas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships