Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 11:47 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

When I log in, my screen displays several photos and indicates those who are Online now. Sometimes a few of these photos will have some sort of symbol below (or maybe above, I can't tell which photo the symbol is associated with). What do these symbols mean?

Below the photos - and above my messages - I get several users listed each with a dot (bullet symbol) in front. What's this about? These users may or may not have sent me messages. Is there some place where these is documentation for these 'features'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 11:50 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
When I log in, my screen displays several photos and indicates those who are Online now. Sometimes a few of these photos will have some sort of symbol below (or maybe above, I can't tell which photo the symbol is associated with). What do these symbols mean?

Below the photos - and above my messages - I get several users listed each with a dot (bullet symbol) in front. What's this about? These users may or may not have sent me messages. Is there some place where these is documentation for these 'features'?
There's a key right above the photos that tells you what the symbols mean. Looks like the dot means the person has an upgraded profile.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
There's a key right above the photos that tells you what the symbols mean. Looks like the dot means the person has an upgraded profile.

??? Right above the photos I see three ads, I see no key.

Above the ads are icons to download smartphone apps and a pitch to Upgrade and get awesome features!

Above all that is my control panel; messages, matches etc.

Maybe you have to upgrade to find out?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:06 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:

I've got no clue what you're tlaking about. Maybe you're looking at the advertisements?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I've got no clue what you're tlaking about. Maybe you're looking at the advertisements?

The photos (a few of which have a symbol above or below) are directly under the advertisements. Right below the photos is a pitch to try two new dating sites from the owner of POF. Below that are a few users listed on one line, each with a dot at left.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:13 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
The photos (a few of which have a symbol above or below) are directly under the advertisements. Right below the photos is a pitch to try two new dating sites from the owner of POF. Below that are a few users listed on one line, each with a dot at left.
I think a green dot means they're online?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think a green dot means they're online?

Ah okay. That would explain why a different set of users is displayed every time. I think I've seen a brown dot as well; my guess is that they were online when I logged on and now they are offline.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
??? Right above the photos I see three ads, I see no key.

Above the ads are icons to download smartphone apps and a pitch to Upgrade and get awesome features!

Above all that is my control panel; messages, matches etc.

Maybe you have to upgrade to find out?

I do not have an upgraded profile. That is what I see. If you actually click on one of the profiles with the yellow dot, you might see a picture (usually of a fish) to the right of the person's main photo that says "Upgraded Member."

And before anyone goes trying to track me down on there, my profile is hidden. I made an account a long time ago to track down some jackanapes from this very site who was harassing me, and the idiot was dumb enough to use the same screen name there as he does here. Now my sister is on POF, and while I am nowhere near ready to date and won't even consider it unless and until I move back to DC, she lives in MD so sometimes when we're on the phone, we look at profiles together. It has been fun! Some good guys on there, looks like. I just sent her a profile of one and told her to go get him.

Last edited by Lilac110; 03-16-2014 at 12:37 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

I do not have an upgraded profile. That is what I see. If you actually click on one of the profiles with the yellow dot, you might see a picture (usually of a fish) to the right of the person's main photo that says "Upgraded Member."

And before anyone goes trying to track me down on there, my profile is hidden. I made an account a long time ago to track down some jackanapes from this very site who was harassing me, and the idiot was dumb enough to use the same screen name there as he does here. Now my sister is on POF, and and while I am nowhere near ready to date and won't even consider it unless and until I move back to DC, she lives in MD so sometimes when we're on the phone, we look at profiles together. It has been fun! Some good guys on there, looks like. I just sent her a profile of one and told her to go get him.

Well just D'OH! I feel stupid, so that's what the pictures-with-dots mean. Yes I've seen the fish and the Upgraded member text but I didn't put two and two together.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Well just D'OH! I feel stupid, so that's what the pictures-with-dots mean. Yes I've seen the fish and the Upgraded member text but I didn't put two and two together.
POF really should just have a clear key, like:

= embarrassment
= dubious
= confused
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships