Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 03:49 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Visit a cosmetic dentist and get a professional opinion on this. Only a pro can give you the correct advice and the best course of action. Yes, nice teeth makes a world of difference in many respects. Unfair as it may seem, the condition of your teeth can indicate social class, personal habits, etc. Good luck.
^^^^^^ this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 03:49 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
I'm actually a pretty frugal person.. That's why all my money is in savings... I just want to get a lot of options And hear from people who went through it.
Sorry, skimming again.

If you have the money, what's the hold up?

Do you want to go through the rest of your life looking like you just crawled out of a meth lab?

I've just had A LOT of dental work done and ended up losing 3 teeth which I am horrified about. They're not visible ones but I've always had great teeth so it's quite distressing to me.

I will pay what I have to to keep my mouth healthy. No question. It's a matter of self respect and grooming and says a lot about your personality.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:50 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You still have some primary teeth?? You mean, "baby teeth"? Why/how did that happen? How old are you? Are the secondary teeth there, waiting to drop down? What's going on? And what about your wisdom teeth, what's going on there?

For now, look into alternatives (veneers, or whatever). I would be extremely cautious about getting a mouthful of implants! That should be the measure of last resort.
Yeah, baby teeth. I'm 30

The adult teeth never came in. Never had to get wisdom teeth pulled.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:51 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
You still have some primary teeth?? You mean, "baby teeth"? Why/how did that happen? How old are you? Are the secondary teeth there, waiting to drop down? What's going on? And what about your wisdom teeth, what's going on there?
Yes, I think I'd be a little more concerned about the health aspect of not having had all my premanent teeth come in than what women might think of my crooked smile.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:54 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
Yeah, baby teeth.

The adult teeth never came in. Never had to get wisdom teeth pulled.
Are the adult teeth there, though? Do they exist, and just haven't dropped down, or are they absent? What does your dentist say about this? You say your mom has the same thing? Her adult teeth have never come in?

Old 05-01-2014, 03:56 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,396 times
Quote:
Are the adult teeth there, though? Do they exist, and just haven't dropped down, or are they absent? What does your dentist say about this? You say your mom has the same thing? Her adult teeth have never come in?
They're absent. My mom is the same way but hers are atleast straight! Mine aren't really that terrible, I think it bothers me more than anyone else. Just a gap between my front two teeth

I got a screening for cancer when I was younger because it's related to MRX-1 or something. I'm clear there! Just have to spend a fortune to fix things. Life is a pain! Wanted to pay off the house soon but gonna have to blow it all on my jaw!

Old 05-01-2014, 04:07 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,511 times
Women - Just how off putting are bad teeth?

It seems you keep your teeth healthy by cleaning it regularly and professionally. So it really is not as off putting to me.

If I was still in my vanity phase. I never would have been married by now to my husband. He goes to the dentist for cleaning 2x a year so that's good enough for me.

Just find a mature and sensible woman who looks past the stupid physical imperfections and you will be fine.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post

It seems you keep your teeth healthy by cleaning it regularly and professionally. So it really is not as off putting to me.

If I was still in my vanity phase. I never would have been married by now to my husband. He goes to the dentist for cleaning 2x a year so that's good enough for me.

Just find a mature and sensible woman who looks past the stupid physical imperfections and you will be fine.
This, combined with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84;
Mine aren't really that terrible, I think it bothers me more than anyone else. Just a gap between my front two teeth
gets my vote for not worrying about it much. You're probably just self-conscious about it.

A cosmetic dentist can fix the gap in the front teeth with some cool tricks that don't involve oral surgery. If that's your main concern, the two front teeth, you're fine. When/if the 9 baby teeth do fall out, then you can decide what to do. For now, just bide your time, enjoy life, and address the gap alone.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:15 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post

Well, they're not stupid.

Your teeth are what dictates the shape of your face.

If OP still has baby teeth, then his face likely isn't particularly "manly", he will have what's considered a "weak" jaw instead of a square one (am I right OP?).

There are also major implications with crooked teeth harboring disease which in turn can lead to cardiac disease, or mouth and throat cancer.

He likely WILL experience decay in those hard to clean teeth, (they have to last him a looong time and will likely get worse) and that decay can have quite serious consequences. For example, one tiny ignored piece of plaque, add some stress, and bingo I've just had 3 pulled after suffering through 3 root canals first. Expensive waste of time, all because of one particularly tight tooth gap and some heavy duty grinding.

There are also the social implications. I have a friend who's a lovely girl until she opens her mouth then you can actually see people repelling from her. It's like having a disability, she is constantly dismissed as a drunk or a drug addict or a *****, all because of her teeth.

Sorry, I just can't get my head around OP. Like I said, he'd spend thousands on a chick magnet car, quite happily.

OP you WILL end up with false teeth if you don't do something about them. Nothing surer.

ETA: apparently we're talking a front gap in your teeth?

That is not the sort of dental mess you implied. No one cares about a gap, in some cultures they're considered lucky, certainly don't fix it if it doesn't need fixing.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Well, they're not stupid.

Your teeth are what dictates the shape of your face.

If OP still has baby teeth, then his face likely isn't particularly "manly", he will have what's considered a "weak" jaw instead of a square one (am I right OP?).

There are also major implications with crooked teeth harboring disease which in turn can lead to cardiac disease, or mouth and throat cancer.

He likely WILL experience decay in those hard to clean teeth, (they have to last him a looong time and will likely get worse) and that decay can have quite serious consequences. For example, one tiny ignored piece of plaque, add some stress, and bingo I've just had 3 pulled after suffering through 3 root canals first. Expensive waste of time, all because of one particularly tight tooth gap and some heavy duty grinding.

There are also the social implications. I have a friend who's a lovely girl until she opens her mouth then you can actually see people repelling from her. It's like having a disability, she is constantly dismissed as a drunk or a drug addict or a *****, all because of her teeth.

Sorry, I just can't get my head around OP. Like I said, he'd spend thousands on a chick magnet car, quite happily.

OP you WILL end up with false teeth if you don't do something about them. Nothing surer.

ETA: apparently we're talking a front gap in your teeth?

That is not the sort of dental mess you implied. No one cares about a gap, in some cultures they're considered lucky, certainly don't fix it if it doesn't need fixing.
hmm...

Are they difficult to keep clean, OP? If not, don't worry. If so, make the extra effort to keep them clean.

I'd be very wary of implants. They say they sterilize the tissue before they do the implant (as with root canals), but infection can develop there, nevertheless. So when the time comes, someday, I'd opt for dentures or whatever non-surgical option is available. Always go as conservatively as possible, imo, unless your dentist says you're at risk for something dire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships