Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 06:03 PM

91 posts, read 196,197 times

Advertisements

I have been in Toronto for a month now and here it is all about the bars and pubs. You ask anyone how to get dates or start relationships and they say....go, get drunk, go buy her a drink, head to the pub on a Friday/Saturday night. Today I Saturday and I thought of writing this.

I am ashamed to say I don't enjoy drinking anymore. Not every third day. And I am afraid of hitting on women in the bars. But also because I don't really like the idea of doing it. I may sound like a terrible old bore but I don't even like the bar/pub culture anymore(not that I've done a lot).

But if I am being honest I get jealous that guys brag about their "conquests". They took her home, did this, did that. I don't know if they are bragging and plain lying but it must happen. How, I cannot say? How can you charm someone to such an extent that she decides to come home with you. It happens in every city in every culture, or so I read.

I'd love to meet someone in the library- that's a fantasy. Or take someone on a hike up a hill. It sounds very corny and my friends had a fine laugh when I told this to them. But is it possible?

I think the city also matters. I feel like I am more at home on the west coast. Vancouver would suit me better.
Vancouver/San Fran/Portland give off that relaxed hippie vibe. The natural setting perhaps effects one's personality. NYC/Toronto are more urban classy where everyone is running and wearing designer clothes.
This is just a stereotype.

What do you think?
I am at that stage where I am still independent enough to pick up and move for good and settle somewhere and yet I want something in a relationship. I have friends with whom I share similar interests, but if someone I am romantically attracted to is also into stuff I am in(and I don't think I ever was into bar culture) it'd be great.

What do you women feel? Of course my male friends here say...you want a woman? Buy a condom and a beer and use your "game".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 06:30 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Try this:

Go to a bar, buy a woman a drink and ask her if she'd like to meet you at the library.

Better yet, go to some after hours bookstore events where authors do readings. There are usually plenty of women there.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:07 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Better yet, go to some after hours bookstore events where authors do readings. There are usually plenty of women there.
This. Find out what Toronto has to offer besides bars/pubs. Go to concerts and talk to the women there. Join a gym, or get some free visitors' passes to a few gyms. Look in the newspaper for the listings of activities about town, and find something interesting. Take some classes (photography, dance, cooking (French, Asian, whatever), foreign language, whatever appeals to you), join some meetups, find some volunteer orgs.

Are you in Toronto permanently, or just temporarily? Do you have the option of moving to Vancouver?

Old 05-10-2014, 07:33 PM

589 posts, read 639,298 times
Toronto is the biggest city in Canada. There's plenty of places other than bars/clubs.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:12 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,998,293 times
On the west coast you will find thousands of women who hike and read.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:21 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
Toronto is the biggest city in Canada. There's plenty of places other than bars/clubs.
Seriously. If you can't find alternatives to bars/clubs for meeting women, you're not trying.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:09 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,865,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
What do you women feel? Of course my male friends here say...you want a woman? Buy a condom and a beer and use your "game".
These aren't your friends. How old are y'all, anyway? They sound like they're still in highschool. Women are everywhere, man. Just talk to 'em. Smile at 'em in public, if they smile back, give 'em a hello. Be personable. And get yourself a new posse. The one you have isn't doing you any favors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships