Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 11:16 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,475,290 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had this happen? You pour your heart out to the object of your affections, telling them you don't expect them to respond or even feel the same way because right now you're just friends, and they say something like, "Oh, er, that's great but, you know, I don't feel the same way and I think we shouldn't have any more contact. Like ever." And suddenly you're dropped on FB and every other part of their life. Do you snap back with, "Well, obviously that person was a jerk who just didn't appreciate me!" or do you spend some time wallowing in your hurt and humiliation? Do you try to convince them it's okay not to feel the same way or give up on them as a bad idea and do your utmost to move on?

Just curious how people who've experienced this have handled it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 11:19 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
Never experienced it.
Everytime I have said the words I love you it's not been a negative experience and it was a mutual connection based on history and affection.

once those feelings are out of the closet it's hard to just put them back in for both parties like they never existed.

Last edited by rego00123; 05-30-2014 at 11:48 AM..

Old 05-30-2014, 11:22 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,193,612 times
My feelings would be hurt, but I wouldn't feel any resentment toward them. It's not their fault if they don't love, or like me. Now, I would resent them if they were a jerk with their rejection. Like snubbing, or laughing in your face, rudeness, etc.

But, I never had it happen--exactly. I have had crushes that didn't like me, and some who were aware of my feelings but wanted nothing to do with me. But never been in love, or dated, for that matter.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:22 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
No, but I have been the object of unrequited feelings. There's no graceful or painless way to hurt someone like that, but what you are going through sounds hard. I'm sorry.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Yeah, this happened to me. Sucked and hurt. It's part of growing up. Of course, there was no social media crud then. Thankfully.

Best thing is to just move on. Maybe go on a bender for a night, then take it out at the gym on the weights.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:26 AM

240 posts, read 240,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Have you ever had this happen? You pour your heart out to the object of your affections, telling them you don't expect them to respond or even feel the same way because right now you're just friends, and they say something like, "Oh, er, that's great but, you know, I don't feel the same way and I think we shouldn't have any more contact. Like ever." And suddenly you're dropped on FB and every other part of their life. Do you snap back with, "Well, obviously that person was a jerk who just didn't appreciate me!" or do you spend some time wallowing in your hurt and humiliation? Do you try to convince them it's okay not to feel the same way or give up on them as a bad idea and do your utmost to move on?

You should not be falling in love with people who you are not in a relationship with.

This is your fault, no one else's, least of all the other person.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:31 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceShamWow View Post
You should not be falling in love with people who you are not in a relationship with.

Yeah, stop falling in love!

Old 05-30-2014, 11:32 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,328 times
That kind of rejection would only feel devastingly-hurtful, for me personally...also the more attached I am to them, the more it would hurt. I don't think I could ever get angry about it, would just feel extremely hurt and humiliated...

I am very sorry this is something you're having to deal with right now, and I honestly feel for ya there bro But also pls remember that for all of the (many) rejections we all have to ultimately face in life, you realy only have to find one special girl who says "ILY" back too!

Old 05-30-2014, 11:44 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post

I've never told anyone I loved them on the first date. I think you screwed up there.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:56 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
It didn't sound like a first date; it sounded like she told a friend.

I did it once, and I knew ahead of time there would be a risk. But I had been SO miserable with my feelings for him that it was ALMOST a relief to have told him even though he was not in love with me.

It DID hurt to have my hopes of reciprocal feelings dashed. But I respected that he did not feel like we could even be friends after my admission. I missed him terribly after, but just had to get over it.

It took a VERY long time ... years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships