Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:44 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times

Advertisements

Assuming you have one

Personally:

1. No overbearing parents (Yeah, I went on a date with a dude whose dad called twice on our first date).
2. Emotionally available
3. No lingering ex
5. Well-read
6. Doesn't believe in the archaic idea that the man is the head of his household
7. Doesn't mention "marriage", "engagement" or "children" after 3 dates
8. Has an actual job

Result so far: FAIL

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 05-22-2014 at 04:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 03:46 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Only one on my checklist

1. Be like my mom

Old 05-22-2014, 03:48 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Human? check
Attractive to me? check
Vagina? check
Smart? check
Funny? check
Vagina? check
Likes cats? check
Likes dogs? check
Likes me? check
Vagina? check

Old 05-22-2014, 03:50 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
In laws in another state.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:00 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brofessional View Post
If I ever get to the point I would want to propose to someone, I would see if they hit several criteria Here's my list
1. Emotionally supportive
2.Treats others well
3. No qualms with cooking
4. No religious or political fanaticism ie won't make me convert or try and raise the kids a certain way.
5. Responsible, has a decent job
6. Likes sex
7. Would be a good mother
8. Understands that marriage is a life commitment.
Anything offensive about this list? My sister (the bridezilla) went on a rant about how she would never marry a guy who ran her though a checklist.

We give children "report cards" and employees "performance reviews", what's wrong with clarifing your criteria for happiness and the score for each? Unless you update your list/score frequently as some kind of OCD thing.

I have no issues with your list; seems reasonable. My list is of course different.

Perhaps your sister is concerned she would not pass the checklist of her betrothed? j/k I'm sure she's a lovely human being.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:04 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
My list is a bit up there. But some guys like this exist. It's just finding one that isn't taken, and interested.

Physically Attractive--To me. Idc what anyone else thinks.
And of course has to be a man. lol

Personality

Spoiler
Confident
Charismatic--good with words
Smart--doesn't have to be a genius. But he needs to have some kind of sense. Book sense, or common sense/street smarts. I think I would prefer street smarts, but long as he has 1, it's not a deal-breaker.
Chivalrous
Alpha -- Not a gorilla, or hoodlum, but someone that can take charge and isn't a pansy
Laid Back - Not easily frazzled, or temperamental, or at least not temperamental with me. lol
Non-Drinker -- Father is a drunk, and it's not sexy, nor worth it. Social drinking is fine, but the 1st time I catch him drinking to the point of drunk, i'm gone--already shows a lack of control and maturity.
Non-Smoker - Stinky, disgusting habit. And I have very low tolerance for smoke. Hard to breathe, and aggravates my eyes.
No Baggage Everyone has a past, and some less than great times. But I don't wanna deal with mental scaring. They need to be functional lol and thus causes no relationship rifts. Like if his ex was a cheater, so he's overbearing and controlling with me.

And f course we need common interests. Some of those points are opposite to me, but I feel that would be a good balance. I am a bit neurotic. So, I think the last thing I need is a neurotic partner--for example.

These personality traits are the ones I am attracted to. I may fall in love with a guy total opposite to this list, or I may like him enough to put the list aside. But I haven't met that guy yet. So, this is my list for now. lol

I didn't go into physical, because a few guys I thought were very unattractive at first, but they hit some of those personality points that made them sexy, even their looks got better. Though I wouldn't date some of them lol because some were bad news. But they did have the sex appeal.

Last edited by HappyRain; 05-22-2014 at 04:20 AM..

Old 05-22-2014, 04:12 AM

89 posts, read 140,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
I found a list my ex wrote about me.. even though he managed to say good things, the thought he actually made a list about me was enough for me to want to dump him.

I don't like to be deconstructed into pieces. Like me for who I am, not what I can *do* for you.

Accept me as a whole or I'm out the door. And, I chose to walk out the door.

I enjoy being with people who are open to different dynamics in relationships and how each partner brings out certain qualities that makes our bond unique instead of judging or scrutinizing to the little itty bitty details. Live. Relax. Enjoy. *Gheez

And, if a person wants to be a relationship accountant, then go buy a robot for a partner. Ew.
Hate to say it but for a marriage to work you need to see what you and your partner to bring to the table. Who is the disciplinarian for the kids and who comforts them after? The reason why we have so many divorces is because people think that love conquers all, no it doesn't. Love is important, yes but ultimately you have to consider what your partner and you contribute to the marriage. There needs to be logic for a marriage to work. I'm a CPA by the way.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:13 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Damn. I was off by two.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:14 AM

89 posts, read 140,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Assuming you have one

Personally:

6. Doesn't believe in the archaic idea that the man is the head of his household

Result so far: FAIL
Let him have his ego. In practice it is never actually like this.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:21 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
- Good driver.
- Pleasant, good-natured.
- Intellegent.
- Responsible.
- Nice to other people.
- no tatoos (yuck, they're so un-becoming).
- non-smoker.
- good sense of morality and decency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships