Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 01:56 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times

Advertisements

I'm just really curious.

I know everyone moves at their own pace, but is there a point where you start missing out?

Is there a time where you should start to worry about the lack of experience or not having a partner? I know there are a variety of opinions on this, but it has been bugging me for a while haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 02:00 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Missing out on what exactly?

Old 05-23-2014, 02:02 PM

I'm saying if that person has never dated or experienced any type of romance. Would you say that person is missing out?

Would that end up hurting them in the end?

Old 05-23-2014, 02:12 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I'm saying if that person has never dated or experienced any type of romance. Would you say that person is missing out?

Would that end up hurting them in the end?
Not necessarily missing out. One can live a happy meaningful life without romance. Although, it would be nice to experience it.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:14 PM

240 posts, read 240,474 times
Quote:
I'm just really curious.

I know everyone moves at their own pace, but is there a point where you start missing out?

Is there a time where you should start to worry about the lack of experience or not having a partner? I know there are a variety of opinions on this, but it has been bugging me for a while haha.
Worrying is a useless activity.

The best time to start anything is right now.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:15 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,681 times
If you're male, a lack of experience is a poverty trap from which you'll never emerge at a certain point.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:07 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,265 times
Quote:
I'm just really curious.

I'm going to assume that dating is a bit of a challenge for you? If you have the option to date and you only have to nudge yourself a little to make it happen, it's probably worth the nudge.

If it takes more than a little nudge, then it's probably not a good idea. People are prone to bad choices when they try to force something to happen.

When I was young, the latter was true for me. Decades later I still have moments when I wish I could have experienced dating in my teens, but I don't dwell on it and the moment passes.

I wouldn't say I regret not dating because I was in no shape to date, so it wasn't an option I passed on. Not dating had consequences for me though. I think dating, when done in a healthy way, helps you learn about yourself, so I missed some opportunities there. I also became desperate at some point and made some dumb choices, although that's avoidable.

So if you're ready to date, then date. If you're not ready but you wish you were, the best practical thing to do is to get busy getting ready, whatever that means for you.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I'm going to assume that dating is a bit of a challenge for you? If you have the option to date and you only have to nudge yourself a little to make it happen, it's probably worth the nudge.

If it takes more than a little nudge, then it's probably not a good idea. People are prone to bad choices when they try to force something to happen.

When I was young, the latter was true for me. Decades later I still have moments when I wish I could have experienced dating in my teens, but I don't dwell on it and the moment passes.

I wouldn't say I regret not dating because I was in no shape to date, so it wasn't an option I passed on. Not dating had consequences for me though. I think dating, when done in a healthy way, helps you learn about yourself, so I missed some opportunities there. I also became desperate at some point and made some dumb choices, although that's avoidable.

So if you're ready to date, then date. If you're not ready but you wish you were, the best practical thing to do is to get busy getting ready, whatever that means for you.
It's not that it's hard in a sense that I can't get one, I just rarely if ever find myself attracted to anyone. Let alone have the desire to go on a date with someone.

I have had the typical crushes in school. Since then I have not liked anyone. I was just wondering if this was a problem? I keep telling myself that everyone moves at their own pace, but I keep getting the feeling it's more than that. It couldn't possibly be anything else because you can't force yourself to be attracted to someone.

Either it's there or it's not. That is usually how it works for me.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:44 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Just ask the opposite sex out already.You are wasting time.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:40 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,265 times
Quote:
It's not that it's hard in a sense that I can't get one, I just rarely if ever find myself attracted to anyone. Let alone have the desire to go on a date with someone.

I have had the typical crushes in school. Since then I have not liked anyone. I was just wondering if this was a problem? I keep telling myself that everyone moves at their own pace, but I keep getting the feeling it's more than that. It couldn't possibly be anything else because you can't force yourself to be attracted to someone.

Either it's there or it's not. That is usually how it works for me.
Do you ever become attracted to people after spending time with them? Some people are wired that way, and in school you're all sort of captive, so you get to know a person, or at least an image of a person. If you're not in environments now where you see someone consistently, then that spending time component wouldn't be there.

If you know pretty readily whether you're attracted, then none of that applies. If it's the case that you're seldom attracted to people, then I think you're right to avoid forcing something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships