Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 04:01 PM

589 posts, read 639,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontolady View Post
I tried online dating and the men on there were extremely unappealing. I went on a date with one guy who was so socially awkward that I wondered if he had been homeschooled his entire life. If they were half-normal, you just knew they were players. If I were ever single, I don't think I would try online dating again (at least, not the free sites!)

You get what you pay for. But to be fair, the women are no better. Flakes, fake profiles, laundry list of requirements, ranting about no hookups(they do it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 04:07 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Online or offline people lie. That's why dating should be a filtering out process. I think people take dating way too serious. Spend time with a person to see if you are comparable. If not move on. Date a 100 to find the one.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:07 PM

774 posts, read 906,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
If anyone thinks it's enviable to receive a flood of correspondence to pick through - its not.at all
Why not?

Old 05-26-2014, 04:08 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,239,454 times
I don't know. Most women I've talked to about online dating haven't enjoyed it all that much.

If this was the case, you'd think they'd have 100% chances at winning the lottery and there would be no single women.

It *may* be the case for quite attractive women between the ages of 21 and 26 or so - much of this is probably because men of all ages up to 50 or more will say "what the hell?" and send a message.

I'd also agree that out of the 5 women, 4 of them are pretty close to each other in attractiveness level, same with the men.

I'd like to know what age he set the profiles for. I've seen other OKC studies that show age also has a huge impact on the messages you'll receive. Women start to drop precipitously around 27 and men around 32. By age 36 for women and age 42 for men, they aren't even in most people's searches.

The Case For An Older Woman « OkTrends

Also, the experiment (and the study in my link) took place in 2011 or 2012, when OKCupid was newer and more geared toward younger people - now youth are using dating phone apps. I'm not sure the same result would happen today.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:12 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Date a 100 to find the one.
So exhausting! Especially if the occasional one is crazy or a clinger or something.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:20 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Online is just an amplification of real life.
Online is a reflection of real life. Online, you'll find people who lie, play games, and men hit on every attractive woman they see. How is this different than real life? This is why I always roll my eyes when people bash online dating. What are you people expecting? Do you really think it's going to be better than the real world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
What OLD sites need to do is require all members to initiate contact with a certain number of people per month. Or your profile is booted.
If you do that, even fewer people would sign up. eHarmony at least tries to match people up instead of waiting for them to contact each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXXXI View Post
You have to send out a LOT of messages to hope you get ANY reply, even if it's just "Go kick rocks".
This is exactly why online dating has such a bad reputation. The men play the numbers game and message every woman they see. The women get bombarded with more messages than they can handle and eventually leave the site. The men who never got replies become bitter about their messages being ignored. And once the women have left, the men discover they vastly outnumber the women. While the women who got lots of messages may have been initially flattered at all the attention, they'll quickly grow tired of it, especially when they discover that most of the messages they get are from fat old men who are probably still married. But again, how is that different than real life? Attractive women get hit on a lot in the offline world. But do you think even half of those men are people the women would want to go out with? Of course not.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:52 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
This is what happens when so many people go to college and pick majors like Journalism. You get dumb internet articles.

Really? Men hit on women more than women hit on me? I've NEVER heard of that before.
And yet, some people will contend that women are constantly asking guys out. So while it's not news to most of us, we have a few around here that cling to certain ideas.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:52 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
Thank you Captain Obvious

Experiments like this are what you get, when the profiles are free.

80% of the dudes are chasing the top 20% of the girls. Half those "girls" are fake profiles run by other dudes. The rest are ignored and suffer in silence, while hopeful msgs are sent to profiles that haven't logged on in 2 years.

http://jonmillward.com/blog/wp-conte...days-graph.jpg

Old 05-26-2014, 05:53 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
Bull. How would you like to try the opposite? Nothing.

What OLD sites need to do is require all members to initiate contact with a certain number of people per month. Or your profile is booted.
An interesting idea, but what you'd find is people "initiating contact" with "hi" and never responding back. Some sites are trying certain concepts to get around the gender imbalance.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:04 PM

774 posts, read 906,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Thank you Captain Obvious

Experiments like this are what you get, when the profiles are free.

80% of the dudes are chasing the top 20% of the girls. Half those "girls" are fake profiles run by other dudes. The rest are ignored and suffer in silence, while hopeful msgs are sent to profiles that haven't logged on in 2 years.
Fake profiles?

How do you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships