Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:58 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I've seen sexual harassment in the workplace from an attractive man that appeared to be welcomed by the recipients and that I knew I couldn't have gotten away with if I'd wanted to do that (which I didn't want to do). But he knew not to pull that stuff against other women in the same workplace who wouldn't have tolerated it. So it's not fair to act like all women are bothered by the same level of harassment.
Okay, but is that so complicated?

If the woman welcomes the attention, fine. If she doesn't, back off. Harassment occurs when women (or in rare cases, men) do not welcome the attention, but the person persists despite their wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 08:58 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Men are visual creatures and sometimes I can't help but to stare especially since I've been trained to do that by TV/movies/magazines/newspaper ads/ websites.

Yes, yes you can. You can control yourself. And stop with the "I've been trained" crap.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:00 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I would have to check out that site but it seems obvious to me what you described is not harassment. Continued unwanted attention is harassment. Attention that makes the object of that attention feel unnerved or threatened.

Being looked at (not stared down), smiled at or talked to is civil behavior. Most people can interpret if that person doesn't want even that level of attention and backs off.
Thank you.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, yes you can. You can control yourself. And stop with the "I've been trained" crap.
I will work on it. But it seems by your attitude that you've never done anything wrong and you have no flaws.

I will try to not even stare at women in media. I will get rid of my celebrity magazines.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Okay, but is that so complicated?

If the woman welcomes the attention, fine. If she doesn't, back off. Harassment occurs when women (or in rare cases, men) do not welcome the attention, but the person persists despite their wishes.
The problem is if she's offended before I notice she doesn't like it.

Once I notice that it's very easy for me to stop looking.

#Yesallwomen says that men should just know what women will find annoying or threatening. So I am trying to find out what that entails.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:07 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
I will work on it. But it seems by your attitude that you've never done anything wrong and you have no flaws.

I will try to not even stare at women in media. I will get rid of my celebrity magazines.
Would you mind if a gay guy stared at you in public?

Old 06-03-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Would you mind if a gay guy stared at you in public?
Did you read where I said I'll work on it? so you also have no flaws?

Old 06-03-2014, 09:12 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:

Of course I have flaws, and of course I've done things that are wrong. But once I'm aware I'm doing something rude/wrong I change my behavior. That is what people do. Knowing you're behaving rudely and continuing to do so and blaming society is a sign of poor character, not just a "flaw".

Quote:
Did you read where I said I'll work on it? so you also have no flaws?
Work on it? Why "work" on it? Why not just stop it.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:17 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
I was reading yesallwomen, and some said men confuse attention and harassment. I'm curious what's the diff? Men are visual creatures and sometimes I can't help but to stare especially since I've been trained to do that by TV/movies/magazines/newspaper ads/ websites. The women on those can't see you back, and hence can't be offended.

I've never said rude sexual things to women, but I know I've stared too much.

So teach me, what's the diff between attention (good) and harassment (bad).

And don't be angry with me. I'm just doing what #Yesallwomen requests. I'm trying to learn so I can make you more comfortable in my presence. I don't want to offend any of you anymore.
Discreet glances are okay. Blatant stares are considered aggression and an unspoken demand that the woman in question return your attention. This is exactly what women characterize as creepy or harrassing attention. If the woman catches you in your discreet glance be respectful and smile in a non-threatening manner; that is, if you get caught in looking, you'll have to turn it into a low level flirt. I know it's a lot to keep up with, but you said making women feel comfortable in your presence was important to you, so this is what is required.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:21 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:

So teach me, what's the diff between attention (good) and harassment (bad).
Harassment is unwanted attention.
And in most cases, you know when your attention is unwanted. If you don't know, assume that your attention is unwanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships