Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 04:34 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,281,457 times

Advertisements

This probably seems like such a teenager question, but how long do you usually wait to add/follow the person you're dating on social media?

Personally I don't know if I ever want to, unless the guy has a super interesting Twitter feed and Instagram pics. That's just me, but I know people live to change their relationship status so... just wondering.

(And seriously, if you don't use social media and think it's stupid, don't bother to answer because obviously the question isn't directed toward you.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 05:20 AM

1 posts, read 743 times
I prefer wait at least month to understand where it is all going to.

And if after this term my girlfriend wouldn't insist on changing status i will not change it

Old 06-17-2014, 05:28 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,155,400 times
When I was dating, I didn't want to be Facebook friends with the guys I dated. I wanted to get to know each other through our personal interactions, not by reading things we chose to share wih the masses. My boyfriend wasn't even on Facebook when we started dating, and I coaxed him to join after we were fairly serious. I didn't care about the relationship status...I don't even know when we changed it, but it was probably close to a year into the relationship. At our age (mid-40s) those things don't mean much to us.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:25 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
Not unless we're actually in a relationship and even then I don't know...Facebook was the source of some drama in my last serious relationship.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:38 AM

336 posts, read 590,138 times
I always prefer to be at least Facebook friends with the girl I'm seeing. Then if we want to share our relationship status on Facebook, then we do so. Otherwise, people don't need to know.

I used to be a littler concerned about stalkers and people who stir up drama just for giggles, but I've unfriended them so it shouldn't be as big of an issue if I decide to share any relationship status on Facebook.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:40 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
Why would you ever imagine there is a rule for this type of stuff rather than just doing whatever feels right? On the other hand, I would question people who are all over each other on social media. If you're really that much in love, you wouldn't bother to try so hard to show the rest of the world.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:42 AM

336 posts, read 590,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Why would you ever imagine there is a rule for this type of stuff rather than just doing whatever feels right? On the other hand, I would question people who are all over each other on social media. If you're really that much in love, you wouldn't bother to try so hard to show the rest of the world.
Yeah. It's all an act for attention and most people just fall or it with likes and comments.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:51 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,281,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I'm not imagining anything. I'm creating a conversation. People have different opinions. That's what happens in an Internet forum.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:55 AM

31,081 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Not unless we're actually in a relationship and even then I don't know...Facebook was the source of some drama in my last serious relationship.
Exactly. FB and social media in general have no place in my relationships because of potential drama.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:56 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
If the guy asked most of the time I would agree, that was usually around the time we became exclusive, with a few exceptions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships