Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:38 AM

323 posts, read 308,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee24 View Post
He has always been this way, been together 10 years. I was just stupid and blind in the beginning
A lot of people around here are going to be quick to tell you to divorce and take him to the cleaners.

You've been together 10 years. So that probably means you're at least 28, assuming you didn't get together when you were 16 or something.

You really don't want to get back into dating at this age and with a divorce under your belt. No matter what anyone tries to tell you, you will NEVER have as easy of a time with it as you had from 16-24.

You need to communicate and work this crap out. No blame, no finger pointing, if he says that you do something he doesn't like then accept it and figure out how to fix it. He needs to do the same thing. Try not to phrase things in a way that puts the other person on the defensive (this goes for BOTH parties), because this will cause even more fighting.

People can change, but they have to WANT to. I can't change you, you can't change your husband. Even Marine Corps drill instructors can't change a recruit that wants to be a lazy sack of slob, and prison guards, wardens, counselors, etc, can't change an inmate that wants to be a criminal sack of filth their entire life. The latter two examples can make his life a living nightmare, but they can't change him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 10:42 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,403 times
Leave him to handle his own affairs if he wants to act like a jerk everytime you try help him. Why did you have to say anything to the MD or even go to the appt with him? Isn't he a grown-up adult man?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:47 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXXXI View Post

You really don't want to get back into dating at this age and with a divorce under your belt. No matter what anyone tries to tell you, you will NEVER have as easy of a time with it as you had from 16-24.

Seriously? I'd rather be alone for the rest of my life than put up with the OP's husband. Yes, bad on her for overlooking this when they were first dating, but that's no reason to live like this for 40 more years. There are worse things than being single...

Old 06-18-2014, 10:48 AM

18 posts, read 54,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Leave him to handle his own affairs if he wants to act like a jerk everytime you try help him. Why did you have to say anything to the MD or even go to the appt with him? Isn't he a grown-up adult man?
I tried to tell him I did not want to accompany him to the appt. because I would feel like his Mother, but he insisted I go. I need to let him take care of himself and quit trying to help, it just causes conflict in the end.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:53 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXXXI View Post
A lot of people around here are going to be quick to tell you to divorce and take him to the cleaners.

You've been together 10 years. So that probably means you're at least 28, assuming you didn't get together when you were 16 or something.

You need to communicate and work this crap out. No blame, no finger pointing, if he says that you do something he doesn't like then accept it and figure out how to fix it. He needs to do the same thing. Try not to phrase things in a way that puts the other person on the defensive (this goes for BOTH parties), because this will cause even more fighting.

People can change, but they have to WANT to. I can't change you, you can't change your husband. Even Marine Corps drill instructors can't change a recruit that wants to be a lazy sack of slob, and prison guards, wardens, counselors, etc, can't change an inmate that wants to be a criminal sack of filth their entire life. The latter two examples can make his life a living nightmare, but they can't change him.
Speaking from your experience, right?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:55 AM

18 posts, read 54,047 times
If I would have opened my eyes during the dating phase, I would have seen he is just like his father and would have not made the choice to get married. I know that people only change when they themselves want to. I do need to work on my approach with him, i realize it is putting him in defense mode. I need to approach him without making him defensive and lay it all out and leave it up to him from there. He is a hard worker and does a great job of contributing financially and is great about helping around the house, but that could be due to his perfectionist mentality. I just need to put my emotional and mental well-being at the top of my priorities I guess.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:55 AM

323 posts, read 308,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Seriously? I'd rather be alone for the rest of my life than put up with the OP's husband. Yes, bad on her for overlooking this when they were first dating, but that's no reason to live like this for 40 more years. There are worse things than being single...
Absolutely. Personally I love being single, and I won't tolerate bad behavior from a woman for 40 SECONDS.

But.

Maybe she does want to keep the marriage. Maybe HE wants to remain with her. And maybe, just maybe he's one of the type that can have a sitdown and an honest look and talk about the situation, and fix it. Also, we're getting exactly one side of this, and we all know there are at least two sides to everything.

I don't know. I don't him, I don't know OP.

It's possible though.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:04 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
I wouldn't like if my spouse tells me to take pills either. Or anybody else.

Try out other methods (natural stuff or exercises) and if it doesn't work, you need to get rid of him if you ever want peace.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:05 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee24 View Post
I tried to tell him I did not want to accompany him to the appt. because I would feel like his Mother, but he insisted I go. I need to let him take care of himself and quit trying to help, it just causes conflict in the end.
You know how you're trying to tell your husband he is responsible for his own actions? Read the above, and then apply to yourself too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-18-2014, 11:15 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Amitriptyline is an anti-depressant. Anger and belligerence can be signs of depression in men. Maybe you should have him evaluated. He may benefit from psychotherapy, and eventually wouldn't need anti-depressants or anti-anxiety drugs, and the migraines could resolve with better stress-management skills. It also sounds like you two need counseling. It's hard to believe you've put up with this for 10 years.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-18-2014 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships