Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:52 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,837 times

Advertisements

OLD is only another way for me to meet people. I go out and mingle from time to time, but I really hate going out. I joined a meetup group with people in my age range because the group was supposed to be a social group. The host was mostly interested in music and places with live bands. That is not something I want to do often. The men that I have met online appear to be serial daters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 09:52 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Of course. I've never done online dating because I couldn't meet women. I did it because could meet MORE women. Without online dating, in my normal daily interactions (work, activities, parties, bars, friends, etc.) I meet a handful of dateable women (meaning appropriate age, single, educated, attractive, kind, interesting, fun, and attracted to me) every few months. With online dating I can meet that many in a week.

If you're using online dating as a "last resort" it's not likely to work for you, because it isn't going to fix whatever you're doing wrong that is causing your dating problem. All dating websites do is expand your pool. Nothing more, nothing less.
By far, the best post not only on this thread, but on any thread having to do with online dating. Online dating is just an extra way of meeting someone. Sure, you might meet someone the old fashioned way, but that relies on a lot of luck. You're banking on you and someone else being in the same place at the same time or knowing the same people. So why not have more than method?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Why would I if I'm being kept busy meeting guys in real life? I don't think I would even think to do it.
Gee, maybe if you weren't happy with the kinds of guys you were meeting in real life. We all meet people in our everyday lives through work, friends, relatives, etc. But that doesn't necessarily mean the people we meet are ones we'd want to date.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:53 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Online dating is okay, but I've decided to stop doing it. I think a "last resort" would be using Craigslist Personal Ads..

I check them out when I need a few good laughs.

Sorry, is that mean of me?
If it is than I'm just as mean as you are. I check them out when I need a reminder there are worse things in life than being single-like being married to someone who is advertising on CL that he's looking to have an affair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
So in real life, when a guy comes up to you and says "hi how are you" do you get annoyed, walk away and ignore him?

Why are people expected to have a funny/witty message online but not in real life?
"Hi! How you are?" is in a totally different league than "hi how r u" It's not a matter of being witty. Text speak when not used in a text is just plain lazy. Is that really the first impression you want to make?

Old 06-20-2014, 11:29 AM

663 posts, read 778,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Gee, maybe if you weren't happy with the kinds of guys you were meeting in real life. We all meet people in our everyday lives through work, friends, relatives, etc. But that doesn't necessarily mean the people we meet are ones we'd want to date.
My question was: If you are meeting the right kind of guys in real life, would you still go online?

Most women here responded: No.

Which leads me to conclude that Online Dating are for "the people who are unable to meet people in real life."

Sure you get a small percentage of "normal people" who can't meet people in real life, but majority of women and men have some fatal flaw to the opposite sex. Despite many women here who are convinced they themselves are "normal" and want to meet a "normal guy"

Old 06-20-2014, 11:32 AM

663 posts, read 778,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
"Hi! How you are?" is in a totally different league than "hi how r u" It's not a matter of being witty. Text speak when not used in a text is just plain lazy. Is that really the first impression you want to make?
So if a guy messaged you "Hi! How are you." online, then that would be ok?

Old 06-20-2014, 11:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I never looked at it as a last resort, I looked at it as yet another avenue.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:10 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
For ego stroke and leading people on?

People who use it for studies and the above is why it's such a terrible waste of time.
I highly recommend using pay sites rather than free ones. It's well worth the $10-50 per month to not have to deal with nearly as many game-players.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:17 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
My question was: If you are meeting the right kind of guys in real life, would you still go online?

Which leads me to conclude that Online Dating are for "the people who are unable to meet people in real life."

Sure you get a small percentage of "normal people" who can't meet people in real life, but majority of women and men have some fatal flaw to the opposite sex. Despite many women here who are convinced they themselves are "normal" and want to meet a "normal guy"
When people say they're not meeting the right people, what they're really saying is that it does happen frequently enough. Some people are perfectly OK with meeting one good prospect a month. But for others, this is unacceptable which is why they expand their options by going online. But I still don't see how doing so qualifies as a last resort. If someone's truly desperate, there's far more they can do besides posting an online dating profile.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:37 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I highly recommend using pay sites rather than free ones. It's well worth the $10-50 per month to not have to deal with nearly as many game-players.

I find that a lot of people in my area are on more than one paid site and the free sites. I sometimes sign up on sites with no photo and basic requirements for profile just to see who is on.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:56 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:

You can call me Abby Normal, thank you.

So now you've got me wondering what my fatal flaw was back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships