Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazzeoC View Post
I find it interesting that people assume her wishes are more important/more relevant than mine. Most of you must be women, I guess.
I don't think her wishes, as an individual, are any more important than yours.

Whether the people responding to you are male or female is irrelevant (it's a mix, by the way).

I DO think that the legal protection of your family unit and survivorship for BOTH of you AND your kids is what is most important.

It's more important than your "down with marriage" stance or her family's "living in sin" stance.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazzeoC View Post
Yes, I don't want a piece of paper. What's wrong with it?
I wonder if your kids wish you had that piece of paper when they are old enough to realize that their parents are not like their friends' parents, and people start commenting and making assumptions about their family.

I guess as long as you don't have to be "burdened" by that piece of paper you can have what you want, and the four others in your family just have to accept it.

I am sure you can find some explanation for them as to why you won't marry their mother as she hopes you will.

Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:16 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
The minute OP said, "Women this, women that" I already assumed he doesn't quite love her as much as he thinks? Love encompasses understanding. He no clues how she feels after being together for a decade? Talk about relationship intimacy.

What is she a surrogate?

Old 07-15-2014, 10:26 AM

257 posts, read 713,454 times
Part of the OP's argument against marriage (the part about guaranteeing financial security through a formal contract showing more concern for money than love) is actually similar to the arguments I see against prenuptial agreements. Obviously they're not the exact same situation, but I do find the responses to the theory interesting.

In any event, OP, asking your wife directly if she really has concerns over this would be advisable. Since your view on this is set in stone, there's no sense in wasting everybody's time on this, just go ahead and find out whether this is actually an issue or not.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:29 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwilkin View Post
In any event, OP, asking your wife directly if she really has concerns over this would be advisable. Since your view on this is set in stone, there's no sense in wasting everybody's time on this, just go ahead and find out whether this is actually an issue or not.
I bet OP never asked directly.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:30 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
The minute OP said, "Women this, women that" I already assumed
that he's one of those little fellows who lives under a bridge, looking to stir things up on a messageboard?

Old 07-15-2014, 10:37 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
The minute OP said, "Women this, women that" I already assumed
that he's one of those little fellows who lives under a bridge, looking to stir things up on a messageboard?

Old 07-15-2014, 11:29 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,337 times
This is the third same story thread I came across.

These clueless men actually believe a woman to stay with her man for many years and have kids with him, would not openly or secretly wish for that due marriage...well, Surprise!!!

Old 07-15-2014, 11:51 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
What a strange post.

You can't ask her directly what she means because she's a woman, and therefore her answer won't matter anyway?

But when you ask strangers on the internet you argue with them if their opinion dissents from yours?

Okay then.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:54 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
He also seems to think that a woman wanting financial security for her children through marriage is somehow "all about the money."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships