Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:46 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times

Advertisements

Is it a deal breaker for you if a woman hasn't traveled much, or do you prefer a woman who has already traveled much?

(PS - both women would travel now but the woman who hasn't traveled much just hasn't yet)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 08:17 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,850,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Is it a deal breaker for you if a woman hasn't traveled much, or do you prefer a woman who has already traveled much?

(PS - both women would travel now but the woman who hasn't traveled much just hasn't yet)
Nothing is a 'dealbreaker' for me straight up, especially not something so trivial as that, but I would prefer a woman who LIKES to travel even if she hasn't much.

In other words, she has to have a passport or be willing to get one.

If she's on Visa and can't leave the country, then special case.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Nothing is a 'dealbreaker' for me straight up, especially not something so trivial as that, but I would prefer a woman who LIKES to travel even if she hasn't much.

In other words, she has to have a passport or be willing to get one.

If she's on Visa and can't leave the country, then special case.
Have you traveled much?

Old 07-20-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Have you traveled much?
Depends what you consider a lot of travel.

I still meet people in their 30s who don't have a passport.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Depends what you consider a lot of travel.

I still meet people in their 30s who don't have a passport.
I should have said in the OP that both women LIKE to travel.

I get the feeling that some men who have traveled a lot want a woman who has done the same, because it's a topic of conversation that they can talk about.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:35 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
No, it would not be a deal breaker, but as JJS said, she should be willing to travel. If we were to travel together, she would need to be a good traveller, by which I mean willing to try local cuisine, able to deal with the inevitable travel obstacles, and generally willing to see and do things.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:40 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Quote:

I get the feeling that some men who have traveled a lot want a woman who has done the same, because it's a topic of conversation that they can talk about.
The conversational part is not an issue.

The reasons behind not traveling might be. If the woman cannot afford to travel, doesn't have the vacation topi me yo travel, or always seems to have reasons that she cannot travel (9 cats, sick elderly aunt/cousin/grandmother)., that might be a problem.

If you are ready, willing and able to travel, previous lack of experience isn't a problem.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:

In the beginning stages perhaps.

To be honest, I think conversation wise, it's more of a topic that men might use to try and impress women into thinking that he's interesting or even more so that he might be able to take her places.

One woman I dated had only been to the US, Canada, and her home country.

Another has been to probably 50+ different countries as travel is more or less her thing.

It's pretty important to be able and willing to travel outside of the US though I'd say, because international travel is different and I've seen just about all of the US.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
The conversational part is not an issue.

The reasons behind not traveling might be. If the woman cannot afford to travel, doesn't have the vacation topi me yo travel, or always seems to have reasons that she cannot travel (9 cats, sick elderly aunt/cousin/grandmother)., that might be a problem.

If you are ready, willing and able to travel, previous lack of experience isn't a problem.
Well, this guy who has traveled extensively wrote to me when I was on the dating site, opening up by asking me if I could live anywhere in the world for 1 year without it negatively impacting anything- my career, my family etc., where would it be? I answered, Bora Bora because it looks so beautiful and peaceful, but that I had never actually been there. Then I asked what about you? Then he rattled off several places around the world that he has been to and why. Then he asked me if I have traveled much. It seemed like he wanted to talk about places we've traveled to as a good conversation piece. (which it is)

Old 07-20-2014, 10:14 AM

792 posts, read 635,310 times
I'm definitely not 35+ but I've traveled a lot. Business and leisure trips. It'd definitely not be a dealbreaker, then we can go on vacations together and she'll get to discover all the stuff too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships