Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:47 PM

792 posts, read 635,087 times

Advertisements

ESPN is a joke anyways. Can't be bothered to spend 10 minutes on hockey, but they drool over Lebron eating a sandwich.

But yeah, no one should hit each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:36 PM

346 posts, read 351,984 times
You shouldn't provoke abuse, just as you should be able to communicate calmly with words.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
ESPN is a joke anyways. Can't be bothered to spend 10 minutes on hockey, but they drool over Lebron eating a sandwich.

OT, but it's all about the ratings. You get 10x the coverage on Johnny Manziel in Cleveland and LBJ's Decision Part II, because those are things the majority of people care about - they drive ratings.

Talking about the Blackhawks' 62nd game of the season against New York? *Changes channel* Controversial picture of Manziel from this past weekend in Vegas? *Grabs the popcorn, turns the volume up*

You know what's the saddest part of this? Ray Rice was at Ravens practice today and got an ovation from the fans in attendance. It's the same with celebrities like Chris Brown - fans don't give a damn what you do in your personal life (they could sell crack to 2nd graders and get away with it), as long as you perform on the field and what they did doesn't personally effect you and yours.

He's one of the top 10 RB's in the league, and as long as he produces, the fans/fantasy football players don't care what he did with his wife. Now, let him rush for 600 yards in the next two seasons and be riddled with injuries, then the fans will start to turn on him.

That's all I can contribute to this thread because Johnny and JBT already knocked the points I was going to make out the park.

Last edited by ATG5; 07-30-2014 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: saddest* not most sad.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:37 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,045 times
The other women wouldn't let her speak lol

She's right tho.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:23 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
WATCH: Whoopi Goldberg stands with Stephen A. Smith on domestic violence

So, ESPN's Stephen Smith made some controversial comments on domestic violence. As a victim advocate, and one who has little faith in the media to report the facts as they stand, I read as many articles on the matter as I could. He made valid points, but it is a sensitive topic and, sometimes, people only hear what they want to hear. Still, he seems to have a history of inappropriate comments on the matter. So, it's really hard to determine where he really stands. I still think there is value to what he said, after reading his now deleted tweets, along with the his original statements. ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith deletes tweets on domestic abuse and ‘provoking the wrong actions’ | Twitchy . But it strays from the point.

Whoopi took it up a notch, but she's not really in tune with what abuse actually means, it seems, either. 1) Prevention - we shouldn't assume a man won't hit us back. So it's best not to hit them. Makes sense, but it's really not the issue. 2) If you know a man has a propensity for violence, don't do anything to enrage him. Truth. And some women will. But, by and large, abusers don't require us to verbally, emotionally or physically assault them in order to do the same. That is what makes it abuse. And that is why the word "provoke", in this arena, sets so many people off.

Thoughts?
Disclaimer: in a functioning relationship, i believe no one should be putting their hands on each other in a fighting way.

I agree fully with what Smith AND Goldberg said on the subject. There are too many women walking around that think they should be able to slap around a man or even taunt him endlessly without fear of physical repercussion. I learned this life lesson the hard way as a kid growing up in Southern VA, if you hit someone, you better be prepared to get knocked on your a$&. Also, if you go up to someone who has a history of knocking you upside your head and p$&@ them off, you cannot be surprised if they knock you upside your head AGAIN.

If you are getting hit by your partner, the best thing you can do is get together with trusted people and make a plan to leave that situation.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:38 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post

Abuse should not be tolerated with either party (male or female), but I also believe that it should not be retaliated against with more violence. Get the police involved if need be, because any scum who's willing to hit you (an alleged loved one) is not worth going to jail for.
IMO, violence should be met with an automatic jail term, whether one started the violence or retaliated with violence.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:43 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post

Canadian here.

Tune in to sportscentre. Surely you NYers have access to our networks?
Lol

I'm actually not that found of hockey. No, They didn't deport me.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:27 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
WATCH: Whoopi Goldberg stands with Stephen A. Smith on domestic violence

So, ESPN's Stephen Smith made some controversial comments on domestic violence. As a victim advocate, and one who has little faith in the media to report the facts as they stand, I read as many articles on the matter as I could. He made valid points, but it is a sensitive topic and, sometimes, people only hear what they want to hear. Still, he seems to have a history of inappropriate comments on the matter. So, it's really hard to determine where he really stands. I still think there is value to what he said, after reading his now deleted tweets, along with the his original statements. ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith deletes tweets on domestic abuse and ‘provoking the wrong actions’ | Twitchy . But it strays from the point.

Whoopi took it up a notch, but she's not really in tune with what abuse actually means, it seems, either. 1) Prevention - we shouldn't assume a man won't hit us back. So it's best not to hit them. Makes sense, but it's really not the issue. 2) If you know a man has a propensity for violence, don't do anything to enrage him. Truth. And some women will. But, by and large, abusers don't require us to verbally, emotionally or physically assault them in order to do the same. That is what makes it abuse. And that is why the word "provoke", in this arena, sets so many people off.

Thoughts?
The fact is that, as published in several studies over the last three decades if I remember correctly, the most common determinant for women to receive domestic violence is their own initiation of it.

If we're at a point where people are so hyper-sensitive about this issue that the words 'provoke' and 'initiate' can't even be used synonymously, then no fair and rational discussion pertaining to domestic violence and its virtually equal symmetry between genders can ever be approached.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:23 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usewithm0der4tion View Post
The only problem with this statement is the fact that it's highly unlikely that a woman is going to inflict the type of damage a guy can inflict on her. Any man, no matter what size he is, poses a major threat to a woman. Everything about a male, his voice, his size, his strength makes him a larger threat than any woman could be. Most women are going to need a weapon to seriously hurt a man, whereas a woman can be seriously hurt by an unarmed male. If a woman hits you, then call the cops. If you hit her back, you will go to jail, along with her. This isn't the same as when a two strangers beat each other, it's totally different, so the same rules do not apply.

Most women do not go around with an attitude that they deserve to slap guys around. Those that do, are probably victims themselves and have some mental illness.
The whole damn point is the woman should not try to inflict ANY damage in the first place.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 PM

283 posts, read 349,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTrippn View Post
This.

Too many women think there is this invisible shield around them. Having a vagina does not give you the right to throw drinks in peoples faces, hit men, and abuse men without consequence.

Most men just take it, but the wrong dude might knock you unconscious.

For everyone's saftey, we need to stop brushing off violent women as nothing. Hell there was a recent thread about some woman smacking and punching her boyfriend and instead of addressing that, most posters either blamed the man or wanted to look at the underlying issues. If he wasn't a better person, that woman could have been messed up pretty good. It would have been her fault and he would have went to jail.

I honestly think if more men weren't afraid to report violent wives and girlfriends, we'd actually see less violence against women. As more women get in trouble for being violent, I think less will provoke the wrong guy by hitting them and abusing them thinking they are immune to punishment.
exactly- invisible shield is the perfect way to describe it.
rice shouldnt have hit her but a lot less women would act like lunatics if they didnt think they had this shield.

and yea that thread was ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships