Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Married? Do you meet men or women who you have lots of chemistry with now?
Yes, where where these people when I was single 7 70.00%
No, my spouse makes everyone I meet seem so dull 2 20.00%
I do not talk to anyone of the opposite sex in a way to find out 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,407 times

Advertisements

Back when I was single I dated A LOT and there was just no chemistry. The women I met were nice enough for short conversations or casual friendship but the chemistry and attraction was seriously missing. This went on for eight years of dating until I finally met my wife.

Now that I am married I interact with women all the time that are very attractive to me who I would have loved to date if I were single. Lots of very strong attraction on both sides. Nothing happens because I am seriously in love with my wife but where were these women when I was dating and single?

One woman who is a neighbor is a perfect example. We met at the pool and we talked and talked and I was so attracted to her personality and her appearance. It was instant attraction and we felt like we knew each other for years even though we just met. So much chemistry.

Please take my poll and discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 08:04 AM

898 posts, read 937,747 times
For whatever reason, married men and men in relationships almost always appear more attractive to women. I think it's the same logic that employers use when they prefer an employed person as opposed to an unemployed person.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:06 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
. I think it's the same logic that employers use when they prefer an employed person as opposed to an unemployed person.

And it is perfectly logical. A single person or a unemployed person is more likely to (I'm not saying they always do, they don't) come across as desperate. Desperation isn't attractive in potential lovers or employees.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And it is perfectly logical. A single person or a unemployed person is more likely to (I'm not saying they always do, they don't) come across as desperate. Desperation isn't attractive in potential lovers or employees.
I don't think that's it.

A desperate candidate (assuming they have the desired skill set and experience) would likely be willing to work harder for less.

I think it has more to do with, "hey, they have a job/partner, they must be doing something right". Still a flawed mentality and not sound logic at all, but it's the way people think nonetheless.

You've admittedly never been married or tied up in anything long term or too serious. Do you think you come across as desperate?

Old 08-08-2014, 08:13 AM

521 posts, read 733,442 times
Yes I have thought that for about a second. Then I remember that I don't know the person at all and know i have chemistry with my husband. It's easy to have surface chemistry. Especially when both people are unavailable so you are just left to wonder about the person. They may be totally boring or annoying or just not compatible after a couple of dates.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I've been in multiple long term relationships and have lived with people for years (and have been engaged one, I consider that serious). Not sure where you're getting that information from.

But I've rarely in my adult life never had at least one lover, so that helps not coming across as desperate, yes. When I didn't have at least a FB or FWB or two, yes, it hurt how the opposite gender reacted to me, probably because I wasn't getting it on the regular and that shined through.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've been in multiple long term relationships and have lived with people for years (and have been engaged, that was quite serious). Not sure where you're getting that information from.

But I've rarely in my adult life never had at least one lover, so that helps not coming across as desperate, yes. When I didn't have at least a FB or FWB or two, yes, it hurt how the opposite gender reacted to me, probably because I wasn't getting it on the regular and that shined through.
Ok. I'd figure women would find more issue with that than just being single. Like what's wrong with this guy? Why has he had so many partners and not been able to commit to a single one of them? You might come across as a "playa" to them.

Edited to add: I speak from my own first hand experience on this one. I know my friends assume I'm a "Casanova" for dating around and not being married in my late 20s. But it's something I never would have considered myself as.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:30 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I do it all the time!

I think it has to do with the broadening of my understanding of who would make a good potential partner, for me.

I've always tried to tell people that being married does not magically take away your ability to feel attracted to other people. That's why commitment truly is a choice you make every day.

I don't like the poll choices, though. I wouldn't say, "Where were you when I was single?" I just notice it and move on.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:33 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Women find married men attractive. You've proven you're willing to take all the steps she wants in her life.

Same reason why some men are attracted to women who have children.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:54 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My thoughts exactly View Post
Back when I was single I dated A LOT and there was just no chemistry. The women I met were nice enough for short conversations or casual friendship but the chemistry and attraction was seriously missing. This went on for eight years of dating until I finally met my wife.

Now that I am married I interact with women all the time that are very attractive to me who I would have loved to date if I were single. Lots of very strong attraction on both sides. Nothing happens because I am seriously in love with my wife but where were these women when I was dating and single?

One woman who is a neighbor is a perfect example. We met at the pool and we talked and talked and I was so attracted to her personality and her appearance. It was instant attraction and we felt like we knew each other for years even though we just met. So much chemistry.

Please take my poll and discuss.
These two things just don't seem to belong together. I don't believe being seriously in love with someone will allow you to form instant chemistry with someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships