Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:00 PM

419 posts, read 2,019,313 times

Advertisements

I am getting alot of Christmas and Holiday Cards in the Mail this week. Most of them are from people I have not talked to for years but who feel a need to take the easy way out and send a card instead of returning my phone calls or picking up the phone themselves.

I do not dislike Christmas Cards themselves, but think they are a waste of time without some type of note, letter or pictures attached. I will develop a letter that is enclosed with all Cards, and also write something personal in pen on the back. I also include pictures.

I suspect these people just have a list and spend a total of 10 seconds on each card, even a mass produced note would be nice.

What do you do and how about Christmas Cards that do not include anything but a signature?

Last edited by questioner2; 12-22-2007 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 01:56 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Well, they sent them out... I didn't do that this year. I did receive one with a picture in it.

That was, as you said, much more meaningful, and was so very nice to open up and have that picture fall out of it.

I have received some with sentiments in them, very nice, and heartfelt. I am thinking about it, and only a couple were just signed, and I am ok with that. They sent the card, and were thinking of me, in doing it.... so, that was nice of them, maybe that is their way. maybe they were sending a gazillion cards. Maybe they dont have a printer...

Maybe the list is endless. But the card, I appreciate.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:13 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
I sent out about 20 the other day. Half consisted of a picture, none had notes, all but one have confetti, which should get at least a few of the recipients cussing as they open and spew all over the floor. Now I feel so bad I may not send any next year!

Old 12-22-2007, 03:42 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
I sent out cards and always write a note. Most of the people I either talk to or email on a regular bases anyway but for the few I don't, it's a nice way to catch up.

At least they thought of you and spent 41 cents+ to send happy greetings.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:54 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I am getting alot of Christmas and Holiday Cards in the Mail this week. Most of them are from people I have not talked to for years but who feel a need to take the easy way out and send a card instead of returning my phone calls or picking up the phone themselves.

I do not dislike Christmas Cards themselves, but think they are a waste of time without some type of note, letter or pictures attached. I will develop a letter that is enclosed with all Cards, and also write something personal in pen on the back. I also include pictures.

I suspect these people just have a list and spend a total of 10 seconds on each card, even a mass produced note would be nice.

What do you do and how about Christmas Cards that do not include anything but a signature?
I read your post in an Andy Rooney voice and it was funny!

Old 12-22-2007, 06:32 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,540,835 times
Smile I enjoy receiving Christmas Cards

I'm happy to receive Christmas cards. Even if it's just a signature. There are some with short personal notes. Even just a little sentence is good. Some people aren't good with words, so I don't expect a lot from all. Usually I get a few with a computer generated update...this year I think only one. There were the photo cards and even one that was a personal design. I enjoy them all.

My cards are a photo of my boys on the front. I also design a collage of family photos to put inside. I take all my own photos, well this year the photo I was in was taken by a generous stranger at the pumpkin patch who offered to take our family photo. Of course we returned the favor & took some shots for them too. Last year I wrote a little note on the photo, but this year it's more photos & just a signature. There's only a few that I put a personal note in. I enjoy doing this though, & I receive many compliments...even from those that don't send me cards. I know there are those that aren't able to send cards, and I'm ok with that too.

Rance: I only received one with confetti this year & I love when it falls out all over the place. It's usually cute little Christmas designs & makes me smile. And this is coming from a neat-freak! The spirit of the season just seems to take over this time of year.

questioner2: Merry Christmas & Best Wishes to you!

Old 12-22-2007, 06:46 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,956 times
I think the majority of the cards I received had a short note of some kind inside. I didn't dislike or not appreciate though the ones that were without. I believe many people don't take the time to send cards anymore, so I truly appreciate the sentiment of the folks that take time to buy cards, sign their name, and mail them out. I think that's a thoughtful gesture in and of itself.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post

It is hard to write personal things in every card when you are mailing out a whole lot of them. We sent out 28 this years and that is actually less than last year's 46- some of which came back undeliverable and a few people died. We now send out only to people who either send one back or whom we talked to during the year. We generally write a 1 or 2 sentence personal greeting to the person and sign it. That is all. They have our phone number if they want to know anymore.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:47 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
Most of the cards I received this year were the photo type with the sender's children. Others were regular cards that were hand signed and a few were those mass mailed newsletter type. I think it's enough of a gesture to send a card out - I'm happy to receive any sort of Christmas card. I sent out 60 this year - hand signed - no photos or letters.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:05 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,734,779 times
Default It is really bad out there........

I got three Xmas cards. All had scrawled notes and where signed big time. One had a picture enclosed. None had any money in them. It is really getting bad out there.

I sent two, one had a gift card and one a book of stamps. Really bad when it is not worth opening like in the old dazes when a fellow could count on at least $20. Times are going to Hell. Must be the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships