Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:31 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's only crazy for some, those some I suspect, well nevermind. It is so popular because it is successful. Most of the people I know in couples met through OLD. Though the two married couples that are friends on mine that had children the last year were bar hookups that kept on going, and that notion is also looked down upon here.

While bad OL dates happen, I and most people I know found them to be exceedingly rare. That is why they are news/stories. What you're reading here are the bad stories, you don't hear about the majority which are perfectly fine (even if there is no connection, which you would expect is the norm) or even good.
Glad to hear that.
All I hear about OL dating is what I read here and none of it is good. Also I do not know anyone or of anyone personally that is in a relationship via OL dating.
So I'm glad it really isn't so bad. Still, being afraid to tell someone your last name, I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 10:03 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
kinda curious that in another thread, the OP went into all kinds of detail how they Googled
their first date (potential) and was able to positively ID their date of graduation
and fix their exact age. And I've heard some people do the full background check
and make sure their online (or offline) date is not married or wanted by the law.

But what struck me, is that I DONT share my last name until like the end of the third date.
I like the ritual of trading drivers licenses and making fun of each others' bad photo.
So do I. Kinda cute, actually.

Btw, aren't those supposed background checks online just a marketing gimmick? They pretend to reveal personal information without revealing much, other than old phone numbers and addresses (which I find is very wrong- invasion of personal privacy). I don't think they actually reveal criminal history do they? And, even if they did are they accurate, and do they reveal the actual penal codes?

I think a more legit background check, you have to actually work with an physical company to have the other person finger-printed or am I missing something?

Anyway, to me it's mostly hype without revealing the nitty gritty. Even then, I agree with the last name thing. I think it's sweet to slowly discover and learn about the new person you're dating.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:29 PM

346 posts, read 351,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I google every person in my life. Neighbors, family, friends, and of course my love interests.

Might have a criminal record a mile long or be a child molester. I google everyone

I googled someone in one of my bowling leagues(I google everyone. You never know...) and it turns this guy was a pedophile(convicted of molesting a 4 year old). Guess who got kicked out of the league?

Though I was out of the league at the time, I found another bowler on the sex offender list. He intentionally misspelled his last name(only put one s instead of two), but I found his name on the list and his pic was up and it was him. Very shady and creepy people out there.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:17 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,684 times
I already know the guy I'm going to date's last name, address, age, and marital status, muahahahaa.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:34 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
kinda curious that in another thread, the OP went into all kinds of detail how they Googled
their first date (potential) and was able to positively ID their date of graduation
and fix their exact age. And I've heard some people do the full background check
and make sure their online (or offline) date is not married or wanted by the law.

But what struck me, is that I DONT share my last name until like the end of the third date.
I like the ritual of trading drivers licenses and making fun of each others' bad photo.
Usually tell them my last name first.

"Cassandra........Tamara Savannah Cassandra."

Seriously, though, not for me is that an issue. Due to my nature, I don't really exist that much on the Net. Oh, sure, I exist under various nick names, but the real me...............................

.............................is very hard to find "out there".

Old 08-18-2014, 05:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
I really can't say I ever felt the need to run a background check on somebody in order to feel okay about meeting them at my neighborhood coffee shop for a couple of hours.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig In View Post
I googled someone in one of my bowling leagues(I google everyone. You never know...) and it turns this guy was a pedophile(convicted of molesting a 4 year old). Guess who got kicked out of the league?

Though I was out of the league at the time, I found another bowler on the sex offender list. He intentionally misspelled his last name(only put one s instead of two), but I found his name on the list and his pic was up and it was him. Very shady and creepy people out there.
Was his name "The Jesus?"

Old 08-18-2014, 07:53 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I really can't say I ever felt the need to run a background check on somebody in order to feel okay about meeting them at my neighborhood coffee shop for a couple of hours.
Same here. OTOH, if they asked me my last name, that would be pretty weird.

Among people I know, everyone just goes by their first name, socially. You can know someone for years before you know their last name -- it only comes up if you are writing them a check or some such.

Of course, it doesn't take years when dating . But it might be a month or so before the topic comes up.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:22 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,008 times
Quote:
I'm guessing it's much easier to find out info about a disabled magician lawyer online and have some assurance that it's the right person than it is to find accurate, reliable information on a guy where what you know is, say, that his name is Joe and he's a CPA.
The first time I ever Googled someone from an OLD was when I had a hunch someone on eHarmony was a fake designed to get me to change my mind about cancelling my account. I didn't find any real estate agents named Carl and didn't renew my account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
I don't think they actually reveal criminal history do they? And, even if they did are they accurate, and do they reveal the actual penal codes?
Some do. I rent out rooms in my house and run background checks on applicants.

As a personal rule, I don't sleep with anyone who hasn't cared enough to ask my full name. Right now, I have someone on OKC pushing to meet. I realized when I responded to his latest message, he doesn't even know my FIRST name.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:36 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
I'm guessing it's much easier to find out info about a disabled magician lawyer online and have some assurance that it's the right person than it is to find accurate, reliable information on a guy where what you know is, say, that his name is Joe and he's a CPA.
Actually that's probably easier yet. Professional designations keep databases of all their designees, so with a first name and town you would probably be able to narrow it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships