Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is worse?
Girl groping guy but guy does it and it's sexual harassment 29 76.32%
Guys sleeps around but girl does it and her reputation is she's a **** 7 18.42%
Other opinion 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:35 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,539 times

Advertisements

I found this interesting and among many double standards, there are main ones that benefits one gender and not the other. Both of these posters are in their early 20's.

In the first example, the girl starts explaining how she would groped several guys at school for a period of 4 years, starting when she was 12 years old. Meanwhile, if a guy does this it (even if he were trying to use the same excuse this female poster uses ''It was just a joke''), he can get reported and have a sexual harassment charge filed against him.

In the second example, the guy explains how he will never marry a woman that's been around the block, to which refers to as ''damaged goods'' but as he starts replying to the ones answering his question, he has his own history too and is the typical user (manwhore) that talks smack about the women doing the same or even worse, talks smack about the very ones he slept with.

If a girl gropes a guy, can she really get in trouble too? - GirlsAskGuys.com

Do you think this girl is a ****? - GirlsAskGuys.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:37 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
I think the one involving the law is worse. Getting turned down for a date is not on par with going to jail or winding up on a sex offender registry.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:58 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
I go with the opposite (sorry Julia). Because a woman can be reported and have sexual harassment charges brought against her, same as a guy. I get that often men aren't taken seriously in harassment and assault cases but the law none the less protects them equally.

Lets not forget the law did not always favor women in sexual harassment especially depending on the type woman you were (easy, poor, even black). If you had a reputation for being easy any sexual harassment against you would be considered a joke. If you went around sexually harassing men you automatically got a reputation.
Men, otoh, could get by with sexually harassing women, if they were careful, and never had to worry about being considered damaged goods.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:08 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
In the first example, the girl starts explaining how she would groped several guys at school for a period of 4 years, starting when she was 12 years old. Meanwhile, if a guy does this it (even if he were trying to use the same excuse this female poster uses ''It was just a joke''), he can get reported and have a sexual harassment charge filed against him.
That’s just how it is. In a well-developed country such as the USA I am surprised the law doesn’t deal with both genders the same way for the same crime. Like you said, a man cannot get away with it while a woman can. It can even get a man in trouble if he dares himself to report this. Somewhat similar to having a man report domestic violence. It just doesn't help.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:20 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I go with the opposite (sorry Julia). Because a woman can be reported and have sexual harassment charges brought against her, same as a guy. I get that often men aren't taken seriously in harassment and assault cases but the law none the less protects them equally.

Lets not forget the law did not always favor women in sexual harassment especially depending on the type woman you were (easy, poor, even black). If you had a reputation for being easy any sexual harassment against you would be considered a joke. If you went around sexually harassing men you automatically got a reputation.
Men, otoh, could get by with sexually harassing women, if they were careful, and never had to worry about being considered damaged goods.
I see your point, but I am also judging the second scenario at its face value--a guy won't marry a woman he thinks is a ****. He would probably think that of me. BFD. My husband didn't.

I see what you are saying, though.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:25 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Number two is far worse. In number one the laws are the same, there is a misapplication of laws. That is wrong, but fairly easy to change.

#2 is just plain twisted. It's like they're not looking at women has whole people AND that sex is somehow a degrading thing. The woman that has had some fun was reduced in quality because they've had sex (OMG!!!) and it has devalued her. It is so messed up on so many levels, both in how people are judged, but also how sex (a beautiful thing) is viewed.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:27 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,211 times
I feel obligated to point out that scenario 1 is illegal. Scenario 2 is not.

Edit: Julia beat me to it.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:44 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
I would imagine the first one is worse since the law is involved.

The second double standard is really just dumb. People shouldn't sl*t or virgin shame, I really don't understand why people do it anyway. Yes people have preferences, and reasons as to why they like someone, but they shouldn't make a person feel bad simply because they have or haven't had sex.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:46 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,013,634 times
Both are worse as I feel.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:56 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,814 times
While the 2nd one is a shame, the 1st one can ruin a persons life in legal matters, career wise, etc. far more than the reputation as a sl*t.

A woman can move cities, find new friends, etc.,. If a man gets convicted of sexual harassment, it can stay on his record for life. It can cause him to go to jail, not get jobs, etc.

I have had countless women who I've never said a word to come up and grab my butt at bars. On another occasion while in a rather explicit Halloween costume I had a woman walk up, grab my genitals, and just walk away. Never even said a word.

I've never done either of those to a woman I didn't know in my life.

One time, I was working with this girl who I had fooled around with. She wanted to date but I didn't. She was mad so she came up with this elaborate plan with another girl in the break room at work on how she could fool me into some plan and get me fired for sexual harassment. Fortunately another female coworker heard their whole plan and called and told me and I immediately left the facility and called HR.

How often would a man try pulling something like that on a woman?

The women grabbing me I didn't care less, so may that in of itself is a double standard? Men simply tend to not care?

The second scenario on the other hand, well, I have no well wishes for that woman.. And to believe that years later she contacted me like nothing happened and tried to get me to help her with some things. Hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships