Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 11:46 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
^^^^^^

It makes it difficult to bond and have intimatecy if your girlfriend hasn't left her last relationship.
Is a FWB a relationship?

Personally, I would have brought up the FWB topic sooner with the new guy. Especially 20 years ago.

But these days, my impression from most men on this forum (not you) is that if they had lucked into a comfortable FWB relationship, and they met a pretty girl who agreed to one real date with them, they would not immediately dump the FWB. They would wait until they were pretty sure things were headed in a serious direction with the new girl.

Now, IRL, I have been in this situation. I was the FWB who the guy was keeping secret from the new girl, who was clearly in love with him. I told him, 'If you don't tell her, I will.' And I dumped him. That was, coincidentally, in week 4 I think. He had been saying he would tell her since before their first date, and I cut him 4 weeks of slack. IIRC they had 3-4 dates in that time. No sex. In retrospect, it was still too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 11:56 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
^^^^^^

It makes it difficult to bond and have intimatecy if your girlfriend hasn't left her last relationship.
And yet, he bonded, felt intimacy, and married her. It only makes it difficult to do that if the other person knows there's another relationship ongoing. In the OP's case, there was no relationship. There was just an occasional FWB. We don't even know how often she was seeing the FWB. Maybe they only hooked up once or twice in that that first month. That's not a relationship.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:59 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It only makes it difficult to do that if the other person knows there's another relationship ongoing. .
Oh, I don't agree with that part.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:05 PM

431 posts, read 474,653 times
HOW would i feel about this * no opinion* each relationship is differant why bother to bring it up to a bunch of strangers ?morals are also a personal choice ,

Old 09-03-2014, 12:06 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And yet, he bonded, felt intimacy, and married her. It only makes it difficult to do that if the other person knows there's another relationship ongoing. In the OP's case, there was no relationship. There was just an occasional FWB. We don't even know how often she was seeing the FWB. Maybe they only hooked up once or twice in that that first month. That's not a relationship.
Thats because she presentted him a false image of who she was. Now had he dated her and she was honest with who she was? It would be reasonable to believe he would have made different choices. Thats my point.

And i believe his wife knew that and that is why she didn't say anything til now.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:08 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Thats because she presentted him a false image of who she was.

How did she do this?

Old 09-03-2014, 12:13 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
Thats because she presentted him a false image of who she was. Now had he dated her and she was honest with who she was? It would be reasonable to believe he would have made different choices. Thats my point.

And i believe his wife knew that and that is why she didn't say anything til now.
It sounds like more of a misunderstanding to me, particularly over the definition of the word "single".

I agree she was single as per her definition i.e. "free to date anyone she wants", but to the OP he thought that meant single as in "not dealing with anyone else".

Old 09-03-2014, 12:28 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
How did she do this?
In the beginning while dating him she was sleeping with another guy and not telling him. He wasnt dating anyone else because he believed he was working on something that would have meaning. Me personally if after 2 dates, if it looks like me and a girl are going to have more dates i usually have the talk about being open or exclusive while dating and check if we have same expectations or motivations.

If his wife had told him she was sleeping with another guy while dating him then he would probably be like myself, leave my options open and date other people too or just not continue dating her.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:

No, she didn't. At that point, she didn't owe him anything.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:33 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

Explain this "who she was" concept.

People (men or women) who have a FWB going on when they meet a prospective romantic partner don't chirp to their new interest that they have a f*ck buddy. And a lot of the men on this forum have said they don't have a problem with a woman they've begun to date seeing other guys in the beginning. Some have said they just assume that's the case, but they expect that when they decide (together) to become exclusive, that their partner will be truthful. And that's what the wife did at the time. So why is this suddenly a problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships