Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 03:03 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,580 times

Advertisements

I can only discuss from a males perspective, but this is my viewpoint, since so many women and men complain about it.

Online dating isn't broken, but some of the people on it are. People don't realize that what they have to say about themselves is ultimately taken with a grain of salt. I also believe no guy or woman wants to read a profile full of what they don't want. A couple of things is fine, but if you're at 4 or 5 "don't wants" you have far too many.

Something else I noticed is many women didn't have a game plan. After awhile I mentally became numb to what plans women did and didn't have. For instance, messaged a single mother (age 36) of 2 who had two kids aged 16 and 19. When I asked her what her hobbies were she had no idea. For basically 19 years her hobbies were her kids. I don't care if you're a parent or not, not having any hobbies is a huge red flag. Your hobbies are not your kids. They are your kids, not an activity.

I took it a step further and asked about the lady's relationships, because I wanted to hear her side of the story. I really hoped it went against the grain of what I already thought of her relationship skills. In the end, she was another woman who had two kids by two different men. One is not in the picture and the other is in the picture when HE wants to be. She was also married once, to neither of the Dad's, which that marriage only lasted 18 months.

In the end, I asked what she wanted from a man and she said loyalty. I didn't tell her this, but all I could think about is how can you expect loyalty from a man when your decision making is rather suspect? I do think this woman had (keyword had) the opportunity to explore great qualities in herself; however, she ultimately lost herself in being a single parent.

Now, she's trying to catch up for lost time, but quite frankly not many men are really going to be interested in what she has to offer. What she attracts is thugs and the like, because sadly what she has to offer is not what a better class man wants. You can say the exact same thing for a man in a similar situation as well.

I can say the same thing for us men too, because we can definitely not put our best foot forward either. Ultimately, neither gender wants to take accountability for the decisions we made in our past. Just because you feel that you have this value and unbelievable qualities, still doesn't guarantee that a man/woman is going to buy into it. More times than not our past dictates a lot of our future.

In the end, online dating focuses so much on the negatives and very little on the positives. You see it in the profiles. Most profiles are written to repel people, instead of their intended purpose of attracting people.

I've gotten so many funny stories to tell from online dating this summer.

/End fun rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 03:06 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Just for the record, were you on a paid or free site?

Old 09-11-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Just for the record, were you on a paid or free site?
I did paid very short term. Not enough members, and probably 50% of the ones on the paid site were on the free sites too. Dropped the subscription, since most of the profiles I could see and chat with for free anyways. POF was where my little story came from. OKC had it's own stories too, but they weren't nearly as bad. After a while I got really interested in how these people put themselves in these situations. After chatting and sliding in questions, I could have a 10+ year timeline of consistent bad decisions that "crippled" them for another 10+ years.

A similar thing I heard from most of the women was that they wanted loyalty, but they would be "loyal" to guys who weren't loyal to them. Guys were either cheating on them, controlling them, or just poppping in and out of their lives whenever they wanted.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:33 PM

Once I took a step back and truly just tried to have fun with it, with no expectations, my dating went up. I also realized most of the women I commented with wanted the same no pressure arrangement as well. Funny how most of the profiles stated they wanted a relationship, but would quickly "settle" for something less. In the end, it seemed the ones that wanted the relationship the most were the ones consistently attracting the exact opposite of what they wanted. The ones who could have fun with dating, tended to find themselves in less quick failing relationships.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:12 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,155,400 times
I don't think you've ended the debate, merely started another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Online dating isn't broken, but some of the people on it are. People don't realize that what they have to say about themselves is ultimately taken with a grain of salt. I also believe no guy or woman wants to read a profile full of what they don't want. A couple of things is fine, but if you're at 4 or 5 "don't wants" you have far too many.
I absolutely took a pass on anyone who listed what they DON'T like in his profile. Any negativity in a profile is a turn-off. Everyone should focus on the positive, no matter how world-weary they are.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:34 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
I want to hear some of these funny stories! Are you going to share or just tease us?

Old 09-11-2014, 04:45 PM

432 posts, read 491,951 times
There's just too many women on online dating with kids, period. Single parents really need a site for their own demographic.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:49 PM

Lets see. There was the single Mom who told me on a first date that she had 3 kids by 3 different dads. I knew she had 3 kids, but assumed they were from a marriage. Went into the whole scenario of how she ended up in the situations. Obviously, each guy was terrible to her and she kept staying in those situations for whatever reason that fit for the time.

Another date I went on was with a woman that was 26 and still slept in her princess bed at her parents house. Working part time at a pizza place with not much ambition to do more. Most of this came out on the first date, so I just kept prying to get out more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships